Olympus Tough TG-4

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by gingergirl, Nov 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I have ordered the TG-4 to have for an upcoming trip to Mexico. I plan on doing some snorkeling and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on settings or technique to get the best out of this camera while underwater.

2. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

I have used the TG1 since it came out, and absolutely love it. Looking to upgrade to the TG4 now that it has Raw. I would suggest getting very used to the camera so you don't have to look at the buttons as you push them. Looking through a mask at tiny camera buttons is very frustrating when you miss your shark pictures! Practice taking pictures of birds with it. They are small and move quickly, like fish will. Definitely shoot in RAW. I've used red filters for snorkeling and diving pictures, but I think you will get better results fixing the white balance in post processing or seeing what the underwater settings on the camera can do. If you are just snorkeling, you should be fine, but really watch your depth if you are diving. Also, don't open compartments when you or the camera is wet, and be super careful you don't get any hairs or sand on the seal rings around the compartments. I turn the gps and extra features off to save battery, too.

Very important! Rinse your camera in fresh water after being in or around saltwater, and get a wrist strap!

Good Luck!

Rachel

3. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I have been playing with the camera to get used to it but have only been shooting static things. Love the bird suggestion. Thank you Rachel.