Olympus to slow down new camera releases

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Well, I'd like to see how that would work if Fuji, Panasonic, and Sony keep throwing out new cameras every year. The other guys might not make much money by doing that, but that could certainly hurt Olympus market shares.
    And that without even taking into account the possible entrance of Nikon and Canon in the 35mm mirrorless world.
    We shall see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    Makes sense to me. M43 bodies are pretty advanced as it is - how much better do we really need them to be?

• Like Like x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    This would be OK but for the few digital cameras that I have owned they only seem to last 3 or so years with heavy use.
    Even though I love it I have virtually stopped using my E-P5 as the rear dial keeps dying.
    Be interesting to see how long my G85 lasts, but trying to buy a spare terminal cover for where the battery grip attaches and it may not be possible from Australia so I don't have great hopes for it's longevity if you cant get spares easily already.

4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Hard to blame them. The R&D costs of bringing out a new body must be enormous in comparison to producing a new lens. And, we'll be happy to see them continue to tweak and improve the existing cameras with firmware updates, releasing more potential in their existing cameras. We'll have to see how that places them competitively in the market.

• Like Like x 3
  5. joma416

joma416 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Toronto, ON Canada
    John
    I think it is a good move with he caveat that we see more firmware updates.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It may also be partially acknowledging that it's becoming harder to improve the mu43 sensors.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Probably acknowledging the fact that few people will upgrade unless there's new better sensors inside. So, what's the point, aside from super high end flagship models like EM1.2 or PEN-F, which have a guaranteed sales following.

8. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Do they publish durability figures for the Pen-F like the EM1 series. I have seen expected shutter actuations for the EMI's but not other models. I realise these figures may not mean much in the real world but still interesting.

On a side note I hope they keep the Pen-F the same till I can afford one, really like the current setup.

9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    There's probably a bit more markup with the lenses, especially the Pro series. It makes service easier if there are a limited number of body components to stock as well.
    I'm good with the cameras they have now. as several in this thread have mentioned, it will take a generational improvement in sensor technology to make another body worthwhile. I'd love an E-M1 Mk.2 but that's mainly gear lust. I don't get out and shoot enough with what I've got (damned work and rain!).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee Subscribing Member

May 3, 2013
    California
    Pro tip: Get a small can of Deoxit spray. Worked like a charm for my E-P5 dial.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Just looked up where to buy it in Australia, will get a can soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    So funny. I remember these same statements being made every couple years with every 4/3rds and u4/3rds release. 'Do we really need anything more than 8MP?' 'Why would anyone need anything over ISO 3200?' etc. Everyone seems to think they live in the peak of advancement of whatever it is you are into (cameras, video games, cars, TVs, robotics, etc.) and it can never get all that much better. And then it does and then it does again and then AGAIN!

On the flip side every new upgrade to the sensors in digital cameras are usually touted as being WAYYYYY better than the previous version, you can't miss it, sooooo obvious. C-2000Z to the 3000, then 4000, 5050, 7070, 8080, E-1, E-3, E-5, E-M5, E-M1, E-M1 II. Man, by now these G.D. images should be floating in space in front of our eyes spinning around in 3D the way people talk about every sensor update. But gosh dang, looking at my old 2MP C-2020Z images, 4MP C-770UZ, E-520, E-1, E-3, E-M1 images, often times in normal shooting situations there really isn't THAT much difference in image quality over all. Ya if you are into shooting black cats sitting in a coal mine, then you are all set. But really, come on people, stop fan boy-ing over every new release like it is light years beyond the previous release.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The solution for that is easy! Quit work then just go shoot with your weather resistant gear !

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I'd love to, believe me. I'm a self employed consultant and have to take the work as it comes. Make hay while the sun shines and all that. Business is good right now and I'm picking up new clients as more people discover I can diminish their problems. I'll shoot like crazy when things settle out - they always do.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Well... I still use E-M5 as my main camera and there's two reasons behind it:
    1) insufficient IQ difference
    2) swivel screen in models I might have otherwise considered as worthy upgrade

I'm fine with slower release speed (which makes sense) but only AFTER they give us an E-M5III with a screen that can be tilted upwards without opening it to side first. :boohoo:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    ^^ This

17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Considering how much better the E-M1 Mk1 got from software upgrades, it does make some sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I think this is already the case for higher end models. The Em10 on the other hand will always get more frequent updates. Weirdly enough the low end market disregards older models even if the advances are minimal.

19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's just as well I like to fiddle. :boohoo: :drinks:
    Anyhow, I missed the fully articulating screen from my E30 with the EM-5 & still with the E-M1 & next week I'll have one again (E-M1 Mk II). :)
    That camera will have to last me though, otherwise I might not be happily married anymore. :hide: