1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus to be the new fast focuser

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Jun 15, 2011.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Just caught this in the 4/3 Rumor's page. Looks like Olympus has NOT been asleep at the wheel. Here's a cut and paste from the article.

The biggest new feature of the upcoming new PEN cameras is the completely new and almost revolutionary autofocus system! The new AF system focuses almost instantly, it’s faster than the actually very fast Panasonic GH2 focus (which focuses in 0.1 second with the Panasonic 14-140mm). Sources told me that the improvement is huge and you can feel it for REAL (they had the famous “Wow” reaction)! The new AF is even faster than the phase detection autofocus of most of the current Canon DSLR cameras (faster than the Canon 5D for example! Olympus made this possible by combining a new optimized sensor and engine plus the new autofocus system inside the new Micro Four Thirds lenses. I repeat, the AF is incredibly fast only when using the upcoming new Olympus lenses (like the 12mm f/2.0 lens). By the way, the AF is not only fast, it’s also very accurate (according to my sources). Genrally the real good news here is that Olympus remade the whole sensor-processor engine-af workflow. I guess and hope this will also positively affect the image quality! Well done Olympus!!!

That’s a very good news if you do consider that fast autofocus is usually one of the advantages of DSRL cameras over Mirorrless cameras!

P.S.: I will have more news about the sensor and lenses soon. I am still having some troubles about the sensor rumor I received. If you have “rumors” to share feel free to contact me using the anonymous contact form on the right sidebar Thanks!

2. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Sounds almost too good to be true. Not impossible though I'll believe it when I see it.

3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It's certainly good news, although I have to say that it sounds more like marketing hype than anything else. It is squarely aimed at Panasonic, and to cover a previous Olympus weakness.

The concern for me is (no pun intended) the focus on this issue. The latest Panasonic cameras have very fast autofocus. If Olympus improve on it, this will be cool, great news even, but really, how significant for most users? While some complained of Olympus autofocus speeds, many users seem not to have missed shots as a result.

Faster autofocus may remove a criticism from some reviews, but if this is THE selling feature of these new cameras, (and only on certain lenses??) then I would lower general expectations.

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Hopefully true. Anything that closes the performance gap to dSLRs is good for the entire M43 platform...

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I flat out don't use my PL1 for some things (dogs at play, especially) because it simply cannot focus fast enough to snap them. I have a Sony megazoom P&S that is much, much better but of course IQ is not nearly on par. Fast autofocus is something I've really wanted, though I gather that wimpy motors in some of the Olympus lenses also contribute to the problem.

Super curious to see review reports if this is the case, though.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If this is true
    then surely that's outside the Panasonic system, hopefully the new superduper Olympus lenses will retain useability on older&Panasonic bodies.

8. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    These PEN rumors are almost like the ones for the iPhone 5 or 4s or whatever it's going to be called.

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Just when they think they have surpassed the opposition, they will launch another even faster model - I would much rather they collaborated and created an Olypan micro 4/3rds camera aimed at the enthusiast/pro who can use it for projects when needed.

Am I asking too much? - I don't think so as I am sure if they collaborated they would both benefit from sales and RDD with lower overheads/higher sales and profit margins.

They could still continue to produce their own variants aimed at the enthusiast / P&S market.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You could say Leica and Panasonic collaborated on the Digilux/L1. Sony and Minolta collaborated on the original Alpha cameras. Some good stuff came out of these collaborations, but at the same time none of them lasted, and one ended in a corporate buy-out. I'm sure it's a more difficult process than it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, it seems odd for Olympus to direct their marketing at Panasonic when the market share opportunities are either with people moving up, or those who are considering traditional DSLRs.

It would seem more sensible to try and grow the MFT market rather than try to steal from what exists.

Again, this leads me to fear that the new offerings will be bland at best in terms of gaining share to MFT. I would love to be wrong.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've never seen Olympus to be competing AGAINST Panasonic. One will introduce something first, then the other will follow suit. It may look like one-upmanship to a bystander, but when we're dealing with two partners in technology it looks more like collaboration to me.

13. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I would normally agree, but the 43 Rumors information specifically pointed out that the focus was now faster than Panasonic. That's great, especially since Panasonic recently upped the game with the G3 - but the real target should be non MFT cameras.

Although, overall, I will repeat that if this is a big deal in the launch of the new cameras, then in my view it's unlikely they will gain against the real competition.

14. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    so with all the increased in af. does that only apply to the new lenses? so with the new g3, If I used my 20/1.7, it won't be fast as compared to the new lens? or is it both? i'm hoping that would be covered with fw updates for older lens? or am i smoking something again?

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nobody currently has faster AF on a mirrorless, CDAF system than Panasonic, so who else would they compare to? The Sony NEX is no competition. MFT and Sony are the only big contenders in mirrorless interchangeable lens system cameras.

What's on 43rumors is just a leak... it doesn't have anything to do with marketing scheme for the company.

16. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    You may be right about it just being a leak, but as one who prepares such leaks, releases and campaigns all the time, it smacks of the direction the marketing will take. I may be wrong, but neither of us can be certain.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    With all new "leaps" in AF speed, they've always made an improvement globally with all lenses, but in particular with special lenses. For instance, the Olympus E-3 was the fastest focusing system with the new SWD lenses in its time. It was still faster with other lenses, but you could best see the speed difference with the SWD lenses. The current E-PL2 is fastest with the new MSC lenses, but that doesn't mean it's only fast with them. It's much more responsive than previous PENs with any lens that you mount on it.

So although this is just a leak with no real information as of yet, I would imagine the improvement would help with all lenses, but most of all with the new lenses. That's always been the pattern.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    True that. But Micro Four-Thirds is still the pioneer and leader in mirrorless system camera technology, so there's not much to compare outside of MFT for mirrorless. The rumor did mention the Canon 5D and "most of the current Canon DSLR cameras", so they certainly did cover the DSLR competition. Really, that's the competition that Micro Four-Thirds needs to be able to compete against if it's to make serious headway into the North American photographic market.

The Sony NEX has positioned itself as a compact upgrade and nothing more. I don't really know what Samsung's doing, but Micro Four-Thirds has its goals and sights on replacing the entry-level and even the intermediate level of DSLRs. They have a different target than the rest of the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera market.

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Faster than DSLR speed would be a game-changer IMHO. I think it will make m43 a force to be reckoned with.

I have argued for a long time that PDAF is optimized as much as it can be - a lot of horsepower has been behind it for a long time, and only marginal improvement is possible going forward. CDAF (or some other technology) will be the only way to may a step change improvement.

If Olympus has pulled this off, it's a big deal.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Ley me see. New :43: body and some new lenses. The new AF is fast enough for the time taken to be essentially irrelevant AND is very accurate. If I could seriously trust the AF then an EVF of any kind becomes secondary for me. Make that lens on the wide side of normal with a max aperture below 2.0. I'm not saying that what's coming, but take the E-P1 as is and put that in and I'm reaching for the credit card. Leave the sensor at 12mp, tweak up it's little brain, and maybe give me another stop worth of ISO? The only question is where do I send the money?