Olympus, there's just one thing I want for my Pen2...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OzRay, Mar 2, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    ...some way to use flash with the EVF attached. Give me an EVF with a PC socket, allow a USB connection, anything, but let me use an external flash with the Pen 2. This is the one and only thing that I find frustrating, as I generally use nothing but manual lenses.

Take my earlier suggestion and split the current EVF so that the eyepiece sits to the left of the hotshoe and incorporate a hotshoe in the top of the adapter. Do anything, but make something that will work (not just another body).

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  2. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Hey Ray: I know it can be frustrating as hell. But for me, I've been without a flash so long I no longer think of it. I just deal with it. But I think for fill in or a really dark spot...yup, the Pen's need alittle help. BTW great photo's on you site...loved it.
    Peace,

Pete

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    there is always a way ,..... not having the ep2 or evf i can only guess that the base of the evf has no contacts but relies on the connector behind the hotshoe, could it be possible to connect the 5? hotshoe connects by wire by drilling thru the base of the plastic evf connector and then using the flash off camera with a homemade cable , its really just 4 or 5 wires going from point a to point b. the bundled wires could even be snaked off to the side in such a was as to allow the evf to rest it its correct default position , its not a real easy project and one would have to be careful not to dAMAGE THE EVF BUT i would imagine its possible in theory , another approach woud be to createtiny channels for wires that acted as leads effectively making the base of the evf into a defacto hot shoe that cabled itself to another shoe beneathe the flash

its probably crazy, but it could work

4. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks Pete. I don't use flash all that often, but not having it really restricts indoor work at times.

C, there's no way I'd start to butcher anything, as I'm just not that cool when it comes to Heath Robinsons. That said, there's no reason why Olympus couldn't incorporate it into the EVF and provide a flash connector. There's even the possibility of using the USB connector, it just needs a signal.

It just has to be done!

Cheers

Ray

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    your right , olympus should have provided a pass thru with a cable connector or a USB solution, just as they should have put an evf connector port on the ep1 even if the device was 6 months down the road

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello Ray - good to see you here. Yes flash is still the big bugbear. I am selling most of my 4/3 gear including the FL-50R but will keep the FL-36R for now. What are others using for flash?

7. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Ray

I am with you on this, what is all the more frustrating is that the EPL1 has wireless capability which means I could use my metz AF58.

I have included a link to a guy has has performed bit of a lash up, but there is potential there, a simple hotshoe with a PC socket which still allows the EVF to work would not be to hard to make surely.

Phil

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=34402973

8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I thought of this issue as well- and am waiting to see how the E-PL1 does with this. Use the built in flash of the E-PL1 with the EVF seems like it should work.

9. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Hi Bill, so you've joined this forum as well I see. I still need to hold on to my 4/3s gear, but I'm really warming to the m4/3s system. Wish I could do away with the 4/3s, but that's not likely to happen soon.

Cheers

Ray