Olympus - the rebirth :)

Real Name
Joe M
Nicely balanced article with great context. The two points that stick out for me were cost/management, and fitting a need.

Olympus products in my eyes, still very much fit a need, Olympus just need to seriously learn how to market themselves properly.

I also hear that one of their road mapped products is due for release this week.... Could it be the 100-400 or 150-400?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I also hear that one of their road mapped products is due for release this week.... Could it be the 100-400 or 150-400?
Makes sense that if it was going to happen, it would be this week (first of month). I would have guessed the 100-400 till I saw the post on this forum linking to a Robin Wong video of him vlogging with the "new product." So, seems like it cannot be a 100-400 unless he has VERY long arms... :)

Real Name
Joe M
Makes sense that if it was going to happen, it would be this week (first of month). I would have guessed the 100-400 till I saw the post on this forum linking to a Robin Wong video of him vlogging with the new product. So, seems like it cannot be a 100-400 unless he has VERY long arms... :)
Oh interesting... a new body then perhaps? Or one of the un-named lenses on the roadmap?

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Editor of Amateur Photographer magazine on "what went wrong for Olympus", I have to laugh. What he doesn't tell you is that only a few weeks ago AP's publisher sold it off, much as Olympus is doing with their camera division.

What went wrong at AP Nigel? Why do so many newsagents stock other photography magazines but not yours?

Grayheron

New to Mu-43
I’m going to suggest an alternative future pathway for camera companies like Olympus. Strive to make the smallest and most affordable medium format camera you can.

Also create a design that does not have another proprietary mount design.

Olympus has IBIS technology etc, and there is not much margin if you are going against the likes of Sony, Nikon and Canon.

Phone cameras and computational photography will likely compete well against ‘small’ sensors, eg MFT and below. This is the market where more blood will flow.

Survival and a brighter future exists as far away as possible from phone cameras.

Medium format cameras are the high ground: Olympus should rethink their future. At least open up a second track, ie medium format as well as MFTs.

As I say, IMHO ;-)

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
At 20 MP a m43 sensor has more pixels per square mm than a FF sensor. So what's the science behind your expectations?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I’m going to suggest an alternative future pathway for camera companies like Olympus. Strive to make the smallest and most affordable medium format camera you can.

Olympus has IBIS technology etc, and there is not much margin if you are going against the likes of Sony, Nikon and Canon.

Phone cameras and computational photography will likely compete well against ‘small’ sensors, eg MFT and below. This is the market where more blood will flow.

Survival and a brighter future exists as far away as possible from phone cameras.

Medium format cameras are the high ground: Olympus should rethink their future. At least open up a second track, ie medium format as well as MFTs.

As I say, IMHO ;-)
That might be an interesting idea, I think. A few things are confusing to me, however. One is - how could it NOT be a "proprietary" mount? I mean, is there a "public domain" mount? (or whatever it would be called). Maybe such a thing exists, but it has always seemed like all the manufacturers have their own mount. If so, Oly would have to choose one. You mean like the old Pentax M42 mount?

Even if the m42 was OK, wouldn't you need something LARGER in diameter for medium format? Maybe one of Pentax's medium format mounts? (645 I think is the name of their system). But isn't that a Pentax "proprietary" mount??

I like your suggestion because it would just pull Oly out of the current 43/APS-C/FF wars and give them some breathing room. But even if they could come up with a MF design for say $3000, 40MP, it seems like it would be hard to sell and quite large. Hasn't this already been tried (Pentax, etc). Pros might be interested, i guess, and enthusiasts perhaps. Do it right and it will work? Perhaps, but since when has Oly done anything right. ;-)

Grayheron

New to Mu-43
@RAH

The non propriety thought is just suggesting they choose one that exists. After all, adapter manufacturers ‘access’ mount IPR, so why can’t a camera maker?

Or am I being too naive?

The alternative strategy is choose a mount that maximises affordable lens access, either directly or via an adapter.

The key point is for Olympus to get out there, and as soon as possible, with a medium format (affordable) camera, and establish a new/additional niche.

We can only dream :)

Grayheron

New to Mu-43
@RAH

A further thought, which I have pressed Olympus on, but got no reply, is for them to keep their customers ‘happy’ and show they are innovative, by really pushing out some firmware updates.

For example, the Fuji X-T4 has a great auto focus bracketing UI. Surely, Olympus can do the same.

Give users options. For example, in addition to showing aperture etc, show the focus distance as well. Some of us use this to inform our photography.

Bottom line: they need to keep their existing base and attract new customers, eg with a medium format killer.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
@RAH
A further thought, which I have pressed Olympus on, but got no reply, is for them to keep their customers ‘happy’ and show they are innovative, by really pushing out some firmware updates.
Well, I would be VERY happy to have MyMenu ability added to the E-M5III. They could do it very easily too, except the programmer who works on the menu system was just layed off. Oh well...

If you got an answer from Olympus, THAT would have been a big surprise!!

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran

As I say, IMHO ;-)
https://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujifilm_gfx_50s/

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This caught my eye from the Hasselblad:

PORTABLE WORKFLOW
WITH PHOCUS MOBILE 2

Expanding the possibilities of the Hasselblad workflow, Phocus Mobile 2 takes the image editing process to a new, portable level. Compatible with the X1D II 50C via either USB-C or Wi-Fi, Phocus Mobile 2 is supported on iPad Pro and iPad Air 2019 models, enabling the traveling photographer to have a quicker, more seamless workflow. With Phocus Mobile 2, users can import, edit and rate RAW images and import and rate full quality JPEG images directly on their device. In addition, Phocus Mobile 2 supports full quality image export, tethered shooting, and direct camera control.

Finally, a company that “gets” the dominance of mobileOS!

The idea that desktop and laptop processing are the endgame for ILCs is a HUGE factor limiting sales. Target markets no longer engage with images on computers vs mobile devices. It can even do firmware updates. In fact, Phocus mobile eliminates the need for a PC.

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I never heard of that magazine
It's only been published for 136 years, give it a chance.

I learned a lot from its 1990ish issues, and developed a sad unrequited lust for a Contax camera.

That magazine has probably outlasted over 99% of its advertisers.

thazooo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dana F.
IIRC there was an accounting Scandal with Olympus several years ago, I'm thinking they never really recovered and this 'Sale' is the end result. I say keep the em-10 line and drop the E-pl line. I like the E-pl line but each new model is more for beginners than photographers.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
IIRC there was an accounting Scandal with Olympus several years ago, I'm thinking they never really recovered and this 'Sale' is the end result. I say keep the em-10 line and drop the E-pl line. I like the E-pl line but each new model is more for beginners than photographers.
If JIP decides to focus on Japan markets I'm pretty sure they won't drop E-PL line which sells well there as far as I know. Otherwise I agree.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Zuiko means "Light of the Gods" in Japanese so maybe the Bell & Howell flashlight idea is a good fit for the new Zuiko JIP outfit. You know, those "Taclights" Bell & Howell sells on TV and Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-1176-High-Powered-Flashlight/dp/B01GSCMZTW

Could get into competition with the Bell & Howell "Tacglasses" too. https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-...074SZGW7T/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 After all, Nikon got into the eye wear craze in case their camera division goes belly up: https://www.nikonlenswear.com/

Perhaps the Bell & Howell hearing aid idea too: https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-7912-Sonic-Earz/dp/B000O3T6HG Opps! They quit making those. Too many ear-buds came out via Apple and Samsung.

Time to go wax my old Saturn I can't get parts for. Still runs...sort of...aside from the smoke. Duct tape on plastic bumper adds some class to it.

:hiding:
All perfect examples of what will happen to Olympus brands OMD and Zuiko. Examples like these can also be found with the Kodak brands.

It just amazes me how so many people on this forum can still believe that new lens and firmware are coming, it just makes no sense that Olympus or NewCO would do that.

Yes all of the wonderful Olympus equipment we have today in our kits will continue to work, until it doesn't. The question is what then? Panasonic has already signaled they are moving away from MFT, if they weren't I'm sure there is lots of chatter around the Board Table these days.

I fear unless you have worked in the corporate world or owned a business you really have no idea how things work. So by all means enjoy you equipment, but do yourselves a favor and don't fall for they will survive in any meaningful way idea.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Olympus should have done what Panasonic did and designed an FF camera, keeping m43 for the mid-tier.
The issue I have with this idea is that Olympus was already struggling to stay afloat. Developing a FF camera would also require them to develop a line of lens, unless there was a way to share an existing FF mount. I can't see that making any sense to the board of Olympus.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom