Olympus tcon17

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by anthonyrc, Oct 9, 2015.

1. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    _compare.
    I don't really know what to make of this. I've had an Olympus tcon 17 (1.7x screw on front teleconverter) since my Olympus C2040Z and used it on a variety of digicams and DSLR lenses with varying success. Often it was difficult to see any improvement over the un-converted lens uprezzed by 170%, sometimes there was fringing or reduced contrast. I recently tested on Panasonic 45-150 and 45-200 and wasn't too impressed.

Anyway, the arrival of my EM1 and 12-50 prompted another trial, particularly as the lens is internally focussed so no strain on a wobbly extended barrel. (tcon 17 is heavy). In use the setup is held with left hand supporting the t/c.

The diptych above shows on the left a 100% crop of the image from the lens fully zoomed at 50mm and uprezzed by 170% to match the right hand image which is the lens at 50mm with the tcon17 added via a 52-55 step up ring. No question which has more detail but freakily the tcon17 looks more contrasty (or is it just the extra detail?). The only PP was a slight removal of CA on the tcon17 image, an attempt to sharpen the LHS didn't improve matters.

I did two tests of different subjects and the result was the same. Also there is none of the loss of a stop which occurs if a rear mounted t/c is used. (I checked this with consecutive exposures of a cloudless sky).

I will be very interested to see how this combination compares with the 45-150 and 45-200. Certainly it has the advantage of a limited range power zoom before vignetting starts. I haven't tested the 12-50's macro with it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.