Olympus Sync IS and ‘Olympus Dual IS’ (patent pending ?)

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
With today’s launch of the Olympus 100-400mm lens there is a lot of concern about the lack of Sync IS with this lens. Some have jumped to a negative conclusion but I believe that is done with incorrect understanding. I’d be interested to know, when people have the lens in their hands, if I’ve got this right:

• Sync IS is a terminology Olympus uses for lens and body stabilisation that ‘talks’ to each other to give the best performance. Currently only the 300mm and 12-100mm PRO lenses have Sync IS. The upcoming 150-400mm PRO will also have it.

• The 100-400mm(non-PRO) lens releases today has lens IS and with modern bodies (and current firmware) you can choose lens IS, body IS, or lens + body IS. This last option might better have been marketed as ‘Olympus Dual IS’ as both stabilisation systems are in play, they just don’t communicate to optimise performance.

Gordon Laing’s CameraLabs video shows the performance of each option fairly well, I thought.

Last edited:

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
I'm still confused. Does that mean that Synch IS is a step above Panasonic's Dual I.S.? Or is it the same tier, and that this unnamed tandem is a bit simpler tech?

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Olympus Synch IS and Panasonic Dual I.S. works the same, the camera and lens works together with the 5-axis internal stabilisation handeling yaw,pitch,roll, shift X and shift Y + lens stabilisation that handles yaw/pitch

With Olympus dual IS the camera and lens dont work together...they work independently with internal stabilisation only handles roll and the lens handles yaw/pitch.

Unfortunately Olympus Synch IS and Panasonic Dual I.S. is not cross compatible so do not get Olympus Synch IS if you use a Pansonic lens on a Olympus body or Panasonic Dual I.S if you use a Olympus lens on a Pansonic body

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Olympus Synch IS and Panasonic Dual I.S. works the same, the camera and lens works together with the 5-axis internal stabilisation handeling yaw,pitch,roll, shift X and shift Y + lens stabilisation that handles yaw/pitch

With Olympus dual IS the camera and lens dont work together...they work independently with internal stabilisation only handles roll and the lens handles yaw/pitch.

Unfortunately Olympus Synch IS and Panasonic Dual I.S. is not cross compatible so do not get Olympus Synch IS if you use a Pansonic lens on a Olympus body or Panasonic Dual I.S if you use a Olympus lens on a Pansonic body
I guess the question is do you get Olympus dual IS with a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body?

Latest threads

Top Bottom