Olympus Summer Sale is on

BruceRH

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, I need another camera body like a hole in the head but I bit in a EM10 MKiv. The tilt screen + EVF with the 20mp sensor sealed the deal. The EM5 MKiii is wonderful but a tilt screen is my preference. The EP7 would have been my choice had there been an optional external EVF but oh well. The sad part is I will probably get the EP7 someday anyway when I find a deeply discounted one 😂

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Like a lot of people, I scanned the list of things available (several times), but I haven't bit. Some minor snarky comments:

Too bad the 100-400mm wasn't offered.

I noticed the E-m1 mark I on the list (at a pre-discount price of $800) and the HLD-7 for it. Blast from the past (the E-m1 mark I was announced in 2013). I wonder when the BLN-1 battery was made, and whether it still has a reasonable charge level.

The E-m10 mark I (from 2014) is on the list with both body only and with the 14-42mm EZ lens.

I noticed the 12-50mm on the list, but at a pre-discount price of $399. In the past, I've seen it at $150 at the outlet store.

The 17mm f/2.8 lens (from 2009) is on the list.

I noticed the TG-Tracker on the list (from 2016).

I do wonder how Olympus keeps finding these old products that were announced years ago and have been off the catalog for some time for refurbished sale.

The TG-5 is only $9 cheaper than the TG-6 before the coupon ($352 vs. $360). When I bought mine refurbished from my local store in 2018, it was like $250 (and there there was a 20% discount on top of that).

Some of the E-m1 mark II/III kits and the 12-100mm lens have been snapped up in the first day of sales, which isn't that surprising.

I think there were E-m10 mark II's on sale, but they are snapped up. I suspect Olympus is running out of E-m10 mark II's. It is too bad that they decided to 'simplify' the E-m10 mark III/IV and remove a lot of options, and change the menu sequence. I bought my E-m10 mark II at a similar outlet sale in 2018, and it was a fine camera, until I upgraded to the E-m5 mark III.

The 40-150mm f/2.8 pro lens is still available 1 day into the sale, which is also surprising.

The Olympus E-m5 mark III grip is on the list (ECG-5). Even at a discounted price of $82, it is still too expensive (IMHO), especially considering you have to remove the grip to change the battery.

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I'm just happy to have gotten through day one without getting up from the computer to find my wallet.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I noticed the E-m1 mark I on the list [snip] (the E-m1 mark I was announced in 2013). I wonder when the BLN-1 battery was made, and whether it still has a reasonable charge level.
I recently bought a used Olympus branded BLN-1 battery from MPB and it had a 2019 date code. So it would appear Oly is still sourcing newly manufactured BLN-1s or at least they were as recently as 2 years back.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I recently bought a used Olympus branded BLN-1 battery from MPB and it had a 2019 date code. So it would appear Oly is still sourcing newly manufactured BLN-1s or at least they were as recently as 2 years back.

In 2019 the E-m5 mark II was still the current model of the E-m5 line for most of the year. In October 2019, the E-m5 mark III was announced which uses the BLS-50 battery. I would imagine Olympus or OM probably has phased out making new BLN batteries since no current camera uses them. Similarly, since the only Tough/Stylus cameras to remain use the LI-92B battery, I imagine the LI-50 battery is no longer being made.

There are a few good deals there. However, just before I received the SUMMER20 text, the prices at Adorama and BH went up by roughly 100 clams for several items. It's like Olympus saying "unless you help us clear website inventory, we'll nab you if you buy new." When these sales come it keeps causing me to rethink my kit - this time about selling my L 10 f/2 and O 17 f/1.8 for an O 12 f/2. Haven't pulled any triggers yet, but it's tempting despite this game that's being played.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There are a few good deals there. However, just before I received the SUMMER20 text, the prices at Adorama and BH went up by roughly 100 clams for several items. It's like Olympus saying "unless you help us clear website inventory, we'll nab you if you buy new." When these sales come it keeps causing me to rethink my kit - this time about selling my L 10 f/2 and O 17 f/1.8 for an O 12 f/2. Haven't pulled any triggers yet, but it's tempting despite this game that's being played.
Well Olympus had been running a big sale that ended on June 27th, so I imagine prices were reset back to the pre-sale price then.

I would imagine in a month or so, they will be running a similar sale. In the past, I recall buying the Olympus 14-150mm mark II because it was on sale. I then noticed that with each new sale, the 14-150mm was back at the same sale price. This continue for several years.

I also vaguely recall that outlet prices on the base price was raised on some items during the 20% off sale, so the 20% off didn't save as much as you might think.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Per post #13 above, I got a 17mm f1.2 Pro lens for a great price yesterday. Was a bit worried as after I put it in my cart and paid for it, the status on the lens listing said "not in stock", like I got the last one. Hoping it wasn't going to affect my order and though it took 26 hours, Olympus confirmed the shipment for the lens with a tracking number.....:thumbup:

Interesting that the lens is shipping from Ft. Worth TX and not from their offices in PA.

Last edited:

BruceRH

Mu-43 Veteran
Per post #13 above, I got a 17mm f1.2 Pro lens for a great price yesterday. Was a bit worried as after I put it in my cart and paid for it, the status on the lens listing said "not in stock", like I got the last one. Hoping it wasn't going to affect my order and though it took 26 hours, Olympus confirmed the shipment for the lens with a tracking number.....:thumbup:

Interesting that the lens is shipping from Ft. Worth TX and not from their offices in PA.
Tech Data is their refurb company. I live nearby so many times when I buy a refurb I have it the next morning. Since it is the weekend I guess I have to wait until Monday 🙁

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I ordered a battery grip for the EM 1.3, so that I'll have a big "professional" camera. Only $160 for the status upgrade.

I was going to get a HLD-9, but waited too long, and it went "out of stock."
But just as well. I realized that I have to remove the L-bracket to install the battery grip, and my right strap is attached to the L-bracket. So removing the L-bracket is an issue in using the battery grip.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Well there's your first mistake. You need to memorize your credit card number.
Well, it's OT, but might be worth a laugh-

A fair number of years ago, before handsfree cellphones were readily available, for some reason I had to make a purchase while traveling. I don't remember- time sensitive, great sale, hard to get through, something. The 3 digit security codes had just been introduced. I'm on the phone, I remember the credit card number and the expiration date. The representative asks for that code... I say "I have no idea, I'm driving and I can't really fish the card out of my wallet right now." She hesitates, and I say "I think it might be XXX." I wasn't close, but the order went through.

Real Name
Walter
Well Olympus had been running a big sale that ended on June 27th, so I imagine prices were reset back to the pre-sale price then.

I would imagine in a month or so, they will be running a similar sale. In the past, I recall buying the Olympus 14-150mm mark II because it was on sale. I then noticed that with each new sale, the 14-150mm was back at the same sale price. This continue for several years.

I also vaguely recall that outlet prices on the base price was raised on some items during the 20% off sale, so the 20% off didn't save as much as you might think.
You recall correctly. Back in April when they had an outlet sale, they had raised the prices of refurbed gear and they have been high ever since.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Not interested in buying anything more from Olympus until the 150-400 and E-M1 IV with a new sensor and EVF becomes available. Then I'll be first in line with my credit card to buy them together.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I was going to get a HLD-9, but waited too long, and it went "out of stock."
But just as well. I realized that I have to remove the L-bracket to install the battery grip, and my right strap is attached to the L-bracket. So removing the L-bracket is an issue in using the battery grip.
I have an E-M1 II and E-M1 III. Both of them have hand straps fastened to the bottom of their L brackets (I don't use the vertical pieces). I can't attach a battery pack and don't need the vertical grip capability so will simply swap out batteries when they get low.

flynfoto

Mu-43 Rookie
More from the silliness sale...You can get the refurb E-M5 III and the 14-150mm lens combo for 1152. You can go on Adorama and get the same combo brand new with a longer warranty for 1050.

BruceRH

Mu-43 Veteran
More from the silliness sale...You can get the refurb E-M5 III and the 14-150mm lens combo for 1152. You can go on Adorama and get the same combo brand new with a longer warranty for 1050.
I understand they want to increase profits but yes, it is some crazy pricing. I bought a refurb EM10.4 but it was really more than I think it should have been. I’m paying less than new but not significantly less like with the old management team.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom