Olympus Stylus Epic stuck lens

steve16823

Mu-43 Top Veteran
After realizing that the Stylus Epic (mju II) has become a bit of a collectors item, I decided to sell the one I’ve had stored away for the last 20+ years.

Rather than sell it untested, I decided to buy a battery and a couple of rolls of Tri-X and test it out.

Unfortunately, it appears not to be working. I put the battery in and it powered up, and even took a shot, but now it seems to be locked in a loop where the lens moves on startup, but it won’t snap a photo, nor will the lens retract so I can close the cover.

See video:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ZvXFdVNkpgXMdRYgq9aVdLHw

Unlike the “stuck lens” videos I found on YouTube, there’s no grinding noises. Makes me think it’s some sort of limit-switch or encoder error.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I just screwed?

blumoon722

Mu-43 Veteran
I would try cleaning the battery contacts with circuit cleaner on a Q-tip. Make sure there's no corrosion in there. Try using a different battery. Load a test roll of film and try it.

steve16823

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would try cleaning the battery contacts with circuit cleaner on a Q-tip. Make sure there's no corrosion in there. Try using a different battery. Load a test roll of film and try it.
I discounted your suggestion to try a different battery because the one I was using was a brand new Panasonic battery I had ordered from B&H but having run out other options I purchased a new battery locally at Walmart and I’ll be damned if the camera didn’t reset itself and start working!!

I was frighteningly close to calling it a loss and tearing it apart.

blumoon722

Mu-43 Veteran
Glad to hear you got it working.
A week or so before your post, I bought a used Canon AE-1. I put a new cheapo Chinese battery in, but it wasn't working. Then I tried a different Chinese battery and it worked great.
The first battery even tested over 6 volts.

Latest threads

Top Bottom