1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Stylus 1s enthusiast super zoom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ian., Apr 14, 2015.

1. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It's the accessory port, it shorter than the E-M5 mI.

The Stylus 1 and XZ-2 would be great if they had a larger sensor. Maybe they'll get a 1" Sony sensor? With the handling they offer they would be different enough from the RX100s to not be direct competitors. They would probably loose the port to make them shorter as well.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I find that the EM5 is as small as I feel comfortable holding. Any smaller than that and it doesn't feel right in my hands. In perspective to other cameras outside the m43 universe, it is still pretty svelt.

4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The lump on the top doesn't help handling though.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus really likes using fake pentaprism EVF designs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    At least on the E-M10 and Stylus 1 they put the flash in it.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Except it's not a fake as it holds the EVF & pop-up flash but not as tidy as the E-M10 though.
    I love my Stylus 1 & with the 1s firmware update it's a great camera to take when the OM-D kit is too much. It is great when the sound is turned off with its nearly silent (leaf) shutter & it's 10.7 times zoom of the constant f2.8 lens.
    I've taken lots of photos with it & here are a couple to show how nice it can be (with more in my Four Thirds User gallery)

[​IMG]

SC300613-s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. tkbslc

It's fake because they are using SLR style and placement when not bound by SLR limitations. Not saying it is wrong, just that it adds more height to the camera than necessary.

9. PowerHawk2015

PowerHawk2015 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
    How on earth can it be fake when it houses the EVF? Is the Sony A7 series fake because it has a hump? It's where the EVF is housed. Is the Fuji XT1's hump a fake? How can it be when it has an EVF inside that hump.
    Olympus is replicating the OM series, yes it was SLR style, it is what it is.
    Oly cameras from 1970 had a hump, its where the viewfinder is housed...so where are you getting this "fake" concept from?

10. Ross the fiddler

Sorry, but my fake camera doesn't take fake photos!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ....... +1 ..... Like Ross said .....

• Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

Fake pentaprism. I didn't say fake camera. Way to take it to the extreme.

13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The big viewfinders have a lump on smaller bodies. Luckily Olympus make them look better than the Sony and Fuji ones. And better than plug in ones.

14. Ross the fiddler

The view finder, whether it is a pentaprism or EVF is desirable if centred over the lens & then, the pop-up flash goes nicely there too, but 'to top it off', there is a hot shoe there as well, so that creates a "hump" that some people seem to get all worked up over. I don't know why you think it is fake as it is a functional hump that houses components that has to go somewhere 'cause I do like to have my view finder in my cameras located centrally, plus a pop-up flash is useful (instead of carrying a clip on one like the E-M1 & 5) & plus I use an external flash on occasions too (the FL36R suits this camera nicely whereas using the FL50R the camera ends up being held by the flash). So there's my "fake" pentaprism in a nutshell!

I guess if I just wanted a P&S then I would have bought one, but this an advanced compact camera with lots of advanced features that I appreciate being in this package.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Personally I like the esthetics of the pentaprism look. Yes it is really just looks intended to resemble a pentaprism. But I also like the central EVF and raised hot shoe. The alternative? Take the Nikon 1 V2 look; no, really, please take it. :eek: :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. tkbslc

Some people acting like I insulted their family. I'm terribly sorry. I did not intend to start a war by stating what I perceived to be obvious. My apologies for any ill feelings felt.

17. Ross the fiddler

Unfortunately that would only make the cameras (or at least the lens) bigger & heavier or the lenses not as bright. Also, the Stylus 1 did lose the accessory port.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Missed that the 1s lost that. But that didn't change he height.

19. Ross the fiddler

Actually, the Stylus 1 lost the accessories port & the 1s is only different with the leather look grip finish & version 2.0 firmware which became available for the Stylus 1 as well. There were some nice improvements in it including the small AF targets. I'm fairly certain there were no other hardware differences other than the battery BLS-50 with a slightly higher capacity than the BLS-5 (from 410 to 450 frames).

Here is the small AF target display for the Stylus 1 (& 1s) with version 2.0 firmware.
    M1158124-s.

Also, just showing how the pop-up flash looks when up. It can easily be overlooked in use (until the flash has occurred) because of its fairly low profile when it is open.
    O4179358-s.

I guess I should clean the dust off the camera sometimes. ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Wonder if I saw that in a review that was in error or just assumed based on the shape. :hmmm::doh: