Olympus Stylus 1?????

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pcrit, Jun 1, 2014.

1. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I am looking to really simplify and travel light and sold off all of my DX (still kept my FF) and bought an E-M1, E-M10, 12-40 2.8, 17, 25, 45, 14-150, plus more lenses and it's working great but thinking to myself how much better would it be if I could have one do it all camera and not even have to switch lenses? So I am considering the Stylus 1 as the 2.8 zoom lens sounds amazing! Does anybody own this and what are their thoughts?

I am thinking of selling a few lenses or possibly the E-M10 and have one DSLR and one point and shoot for lack of a better word for it. I really need manual control and am I correct that you can manually zoom the lens on the Stylus? As opposed to an electronic power zoom, I am looking for the experience of a DSLR in an all in one that will shoot well under low light. Do you think it will work?
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    The Stylus is a nice camera: great zoom, fast lens, but the sensor is quite small (1/1.7), I'd say that 400/800 ISO is the best you could use. I do not own the Stylus, but I used a lot an LX-5 that has the same sensor size (though a few years older).

The Sony RX10 can be compared to the Stylus (24-200 equiv, fixed 2.8) but with a 1 inch sensor. It is quite bulky. Weather sealed, manual controls look good.

If the long focal length is not THAT important the Sony RX-100 and Canon GX 1 have a larger sensor too. If you are not in a hurry the LX-8 should be announced in a few weeks and could be interesting (rumors).

What's wrong with using the OMD with 14-150 only?
  3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    The Canon G1X MK II will fulfill many of these requirements. It has many toys such as focus peaking ,touch screen Wi Fi ect .Works well in low light. Deploys fast,takes good movies. Slow to focus and repeat, slow bursts, if that is your thing. Not good for action shots Had sensor that is as good as M43. It is getting to be my carry,around everywhere camera. I will need to get EVF eventually, So it is rather expensive.
  4. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I keep looking at the Stylus 1, for the same reasons as the OP. But comparing results from my wife's Canon S120 with those from my EM5, it does seem that the larger sensor is worthwhile. (The S120 also has a 1/1.7 sensor, although probably not the same one as the Stylus?)

One big attraction of the Stylus is the nice viewfinder, and many compact camera options don't have this.

I do have the 14-150, and find it a good all purpose lens. It does make the overall package a bit bigger than I would like, though. The Panasonic 12-32 is very compact, but on my recent trip to the UK and Spain, I did find that more reach at the long end would have been good to have on a few occasions.

Too many good, but not perfect choices! Is there such a thing as a perfect choice, anyway ...
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The Stylus is ultimately a small sensor camera and has the appropriate limitations in terms of low light performance. It could never be an "only" camera for me but if you are a good light shooter, it could be perfect.
  6. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

I second Klorenzo's suggestion. I looked at getting a Stylus 1 for exactly the same reasons as you but was put off by the image quality and lack of DOF control (given the small sensor size, the effective aperture is somewhere between f11 and f16, according to this DP Review chart http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-stylus-1/images/apertures.png). I had a Stylus XZ-1 briefly and sold it for just those reasons - images didn't look that much better than any good compact.

The Stylus 1 isn't that much lighter or smaller than your EM-1 body, so the only weight/volume penalty is your choice of lens. The Olympus 14-150mm is light (less than 10 ounces/280 grams) and small (just over 3 inches/80mm long) and you already have it, so there's no additional cost. Add the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake (about half the price of the Stylus-1 and a lens you'll use for as long as you own a M 4/3 system) and you'll have a very versatile travel kit which will give you much better images than the Stylus 1.
  7. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Depending on your tolerance for noise, using the Stylus 1 vs the E-M10 with the 14-150 is almost a wash. Given the larger sensor size, even with the slower lens the E-M10 images will likely be cleaner, but it may be closer than you think. Given how compact the Stylus 1 is even with that lens, I could see it being the perfect camera when photography is purely incidental to what you're doing (e.g., at Disneyland with the family). Moreover, except for having a different battery, it could also make a good companion when traveling with a larger setup (e.g., E-M1/5/10 with 12-40/2.8). Lastly, it's pretty easy to operate one-handed if that's a situation you find yourself in.
  8. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
  9. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    There is new Sony RX-100 Mk III on the market. New Carl Zeiss fast lens (1.8-2.8), pop up EVF and larger sensor than Stylus. Zoom range much limited comparing to Stylus 1. Very small. Expensive.
  10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
  12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    The Stylus 1 on paper looks great. However, there are a few aspects that would keep me away from purchasing one.

1. Small sensor size.
    2. Super zoom lens with it's inherent loss in optical quality compared to a smaller zoom or prime lens.
    3. Size and weight isn't much, if at all, an advantage over m43 body/lens. It's far from pocketable and I don't see any advantage of carrying a Stylus 1 other than the super zoom range but at the expense of loss in optical quality. For my needs, that's an unacceptable tradeoff.

My personal preference for a compact fixed lens camera is one with a sharp, fast prime lens and larger sized sensor. The Fuji X100S and Ricoh GR for example.

My current tiny, pocketable, travel everywhere camera is a Ricoh GR Digital 3. It's a small sensor camera but has an amazing 28/1.9 fixed prime lens. Auto focus isn't fast by any means but it 's snap focus mode means instant in-focus shots with no shutter lag. Great for street photography.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk
  13. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks for all the great advice everybody and you really saved me! I will hold off on buying it and save my money and just use what I have for now as it seems like it won't work for what I need and really want to be able to adjust the lens manually (zoom in or out) and doesn't seem like I can do that. If I can't shoot at 2.8 with great results then it's not worth it at all. Thank you to all!

14. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes I thought so too, but looking at the corner image quality posted by some reviewer, then comparing with µ4/3 lenses, I got a rude shock. It's good!

P.S. pretty sure it was imaging-resource
  15. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I received my refurbished Stylus-1. Here are couple of test shots. All are un-edited SOOC JPEG files (other than maybe some cropping). They look pretty good to my untrained eyes.

Attached Files: