Olympus Stylus 1 upgrade problem

Real Name
Karen
I just bought a used Stylus 1 and I am trying to upgrade the firmware but I get an error "failed to communicate with the server". I contacted support and they think it is something at my end causing the problem but the camera is communicating with the computer so I think it is at their end. I can also upgrade my other olympus camera using the Workspace software so I know that part is working as well.

Is there anyone with an old Stylus who could try to run the update software for me to see if they get an error? I get the error just before the firmware upgrade list for the camera is be displayed, so I wouldn't need anyone to actually do the update. I just need to know if you can get to the point where you see the firmware options that Olympus has for the camera.
Karen

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'll try to remember to try it tonight after my wife goes to bed, since she runs Windows on her computer and I run Linux.

However, if you feel lucky, you could use the backdoor method to install the firmware from a SD card. Normally, I would just point you to lightsnowdev.com Olympus firmware which has a copy of the firmware stored, and the instructions.

However, I can't get to it right now. Here are the instructions from lightsnowdev.com:

Create a folder called "DCOLYMP" on your SD card.

Rename the downloaded file to E1119999.BIN and put it inside this folder.

The whole process will take a about 1-2 minutes. Make sure your camera is turned off. Now insert the SD Card with the firmware file.

Start the camera while pushing the "OK" button. The screen will be black and the orange front LED will turn on. DO NOT TURN THE CAMERA OFF WHILE THE LED IS ON.

Wait until it blinks rapidly. This means the process is finished. You can now restart the camera like you would do normaly.

Attention:
You may want to remove the "DCOLYMP" folder from your SD card, so you don't flash a new firmware by accident.

The file is downloaded from Olympus Stylus-1 2.0 firmware.

I don't recall if I updated the Stylus this way or not. I have upgraded some of my Olympus mirrorless cameras with the method.

Note, the two '111' strings in the filename are the Olympus Stylus camera model id, and the '2004' is the firmware version number.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just tried out updating the Stylus-1 on my wife's Windows 10 system. The Olympus updater was able to find the camera, and it discovered that the firmware I had installed (2.0) was the current firmware, and there was no need to update.

Real Name
Karen
I just tried out updating the Stylus-1 on my wife's Windows 10 system. The Olympus updater was able to find the camera, and it discovered that the firmware I had installed (2.0) was the current firmware, and there was no need to update.
Thanks so much for testing the upgrade for me. Looks like the problem is my camera :(. Nice to know at least.
Your upgrade work around is interesting. It might be my only option...
Thanks for all your help.
Karen

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom