Olympus stops sales of E-M10 Mk II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Sep 7, 2015.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That translationese was sure enlightening.
  2. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Getolympus.com is already showing the EM10ii as backordered now, although Amazon and BH seem to still be shipping. This stinks. I'm debating whether to return my unit (practically unused -- just some test shots sitting in my familyroom), and reorder the fixed version. I'd hate to have to deal with Olympus for a warranty repair later....
  3. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    can someone translate the translation
  4. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I am guessing non oem plastic mount lenses can fall off?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm guessing we don't know what exactly is wrong, or its impact, and may never know. Olympus is one Loosey Goosey company.
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    All the companies are "loosey goosey" until they are caught or something catastrophic happens. At least they are being proactive about it and getting to the issue before any incidents happen and it goes viral.
  7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    From what I can make out of it, it seems to be an issue with plastic mount lenses that don't lock properly onto the body.

In any case, it's good to see that Olympus is admitting a problem so early on and they do have an 800 number to contact them if you bought one already. I know people complain about Olympus having faulty this and faulty that, but then again, if you read camera forums on a regular basis, Olympus is not alone. Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Ricoh, Leica, etc... all have had disgruntled users complaining about sensor dust, grease on sensor, dust inside of lens, sticky aperture blades, dead screens or pixels and on and on and on. So much so that buying any camera seems to be a hit or miss lottery game.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    In response to the last post by tyrphoto ^ I'm considering a Leica 240, plus glassware of course. I do hope the reliability is better than the Japanese products, but you've put an element of doubt in my mind :(
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Leica doesn't have a magically better track record for their digital M bodies...
  10. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    In this thread https://www.mu-43.com/threads/78151/ there was some concern about the tight fitting Panny lenses on the E-M10. I was one who commented that mine fit very tight. Maybe they over corrected to accommodate the metal mounts and now the plastic mounts fit too loose.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Having an E-M10 II incoming from B & H, I contacted Olympus Americas today concerning this issue and they are referring to this issue as nothing more than a "rumor". I talked to two separate representatives, both gave the "rumor" tag.

The first rep was pretty cavalier about it and told me they had no official notice of this issue and to file a warranty claim if I should have any issues in the future........end of story.

I called again and got a more knowledgeable representative who took the time to run the question up the command chain and allowed that they are expecting something "official" from Japan before the end of this week. At that time I could get information on what my options are.

I am hoping that this is a geographically isolated issue since my copy from B & H is due to be delivered this Thursday.

However, the Olympus USA site now shows the E-M10 II, in all configurations, as being backordered with expected shipping in October. When I quizzed the Olympus rep on "if the rumor were to be proven as true" how long might one expect to wait for replacement bodies to be available he confirmed maybe a "month or two".

B & H customer service re-affirmed their 30 day return policy and that if there was a manufacturing defect the return shipping would be free. I'm going to see what gives when I get mine in a couple of days, and see what comes out of Olympus on Friday......if anything.
  12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Not just a rumor - http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/cs/info/2015/09/001/index.html

Olympus is also directing their reps to contact everyone who has already purchased an E-M10 II.

I can't think of recent time a camera manufacturer has stopped it's production lines, so Olympus has major concerns and as such I think Olympus will take care of those that have already purchased their cameras.
  13. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I was just looking at one today, the whole time I was wondering what would be the most likely QC or design issue with this particular body to go wrong.
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I did notice that Mkii is still on sale at B&H.
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Here's a description of the problem from Olympus itself:

"Olympus has discovered that the lens lock pin on a small number of OM-D E-M10 Mark II cameras has malfunctioned, causing certain lens es to detach from the mount. No reports of this issue have been received from within North America, however, it has been determined that camera s sold within North America may also be susceptible to this issue when connected to plastic mount lenses. The Olympus lenses that could be affected are limited to five: M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14 – 42mm f3.5 – 5.6 L, 14 – 42mm f3.5 – 5.6 II, 14 – 42mm f3.5 – 5.6 II R, 40 – 150mm f/4.0 – 5.6 and 40 – 150mm f/4.0 – 5.6 R. It is important to be aware that this issue poses no risk of personal injury or property damage other than potentially damaging the lens itself from its detachment from the mount unexpectedly. As a result, Olympus is offering a free inspection and repair program for owners of the OM – D E – M10 Mark II with serial numbers located within the limited lots that have been affected"
  16. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    This sounds pretty good, mine is "out for delivery". Do you have a source for this info, that you can share?
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like Olympus is having a few rough patches switching ILC production to Vietnam.
  18. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Just received my copy. So far all lenses mount OK.
    The only plastic mount I have is the Panasonic 14-42 II kit and it mounts the same as it does on my Pen PL7 and E-M5 II, and it's secure.
    Other lenses are P100-300, P45-150, P14,2.5, P12-32 pancake, O25 1.8. All metal mounts. They all mount fine with the 12-32 being the stiffest to mount, followed by the Oly 25. The mount may be a little tighter than my E-M10 was, but nothing to be concerned about.
    I ordered mine from B & H, New York.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia