Olympus SPn 42mm 1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Grinch, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So I have been offered an Olympus SPn rangefinder w/ 42mm 1.7 do you think it would be worth trying to pull the lense and convert it to m43 mount? I have never done anything like this, so really what I want to know is, has anyone done this, or anything like it? What is involved in the process?

2. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I would think the camera (if working) would be worth more than a similar legacy lens. The SPn was not that common a camera and the more common SP goes for $75~150 on ebay. I would expect the SPn to bring a premium over the SP prices.

Plus, I would expect it would be more trouble than it is worth to cobble up a decent way of mounting the lens. I might try it if the camera is FUBAR.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Please, don't go pulling apart a perfectly healthy Olympus SPn!!!

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Fair enough, if it is working...I have not seen yet and do not know if it is functioning.

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I agree with WJW59 - unless the camera is knackered I'd just load it with film and go retro.

I've got a plain SP and its great fun to shoot and the pics are great with that lens (the Trip is also another goodie which you can pick up real cheap but build quality is nowhere near as good as the SP).

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Like everyone else. This is a not so common camera and with features quite unique in its class (only fixed lens range finder able to spot meter) ; if you don't want to use it as is, sell it and use the profit to buy a crate of more common RF to toy with. Canonet GIII have been mass produced, Yashica Electro too, etc.

Cheers,