Olympus specials - B&H

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wonder what these are going to do for the used market on some of those. It was only recently that second hand E-M1.2s dropped below $800-ish and now you can buy a brand new one for $899.

whereSs

New to Mu-43
There's a part of me that is all "oooh maybe I should grab that secondhand Olympus 12-200 for ~$620 since the big ones are on sale" and the rest of me goes "but, all you have is a GX85 and you prefer tiny lenses, discretion, and good handling..." and an even smaller part of me goes "but maybe EM5-III" and then I make my GAS shut up and take pictures with the stuff that I have.

Nice sales, though.

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
They are decent sales. I think they match what getolympus.com is doing (Olympus sent a sale email yesterday).

As for me I am pretty spent out on camera acquisition stuff right now, having recently bought an E-M5 Mk III. If I buy any camera stuff in the near future it's likely to be something like a few memory cards or a tripod or flash unit, or some extra batteries.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
The 12-200 would have to be under $200 to interest me. That lens does not interest me, in part because it seems to be merely adequate.

I'm saving up for the Olympus Pro 150-400.
I'm very happy with the Olympus 100-400, however.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Wonder what these are going to do for the used market on some of those. It was only recently that second hand E-M1.2s dropped below $800-ish and now you can buy a brand new one for $899.
They have a used one on there now for $629 in "9" condition. B&H is pretty conservative on their ratings, so it probably looks really clean.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I have everything I need and then some. The only thing I'm keeping an eye out for is a used 45mm f1.8. There's one at a local store for $350 including hood but it's silver and I'd much rather have black.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The only thing I'm keeping an eye out for is a used 45mm f1.8. There's one at a local store for $350 including hood but it's silver and I'd much rather have black.
If you don't mind second hand, the 45/1.8 is usually around $200-ish usd so a big savings over that $350 retail price. I bought mine from Olympus in the refurb store with one of their 20% promotions. I think I paid something like $238 once tax was added. Looked brand new when I got it and has been working fine for 5 years now.

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Is the extra $300 worth it to get the E-M5 Mark III with the 14-150mm Lens? $1199 with, $899 body only

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
If you don't mind second hand, the 45/1.8 is usually around $200-ish usd so a big savings over that $350 retail price. I bought mine from Olympus in the refurb store with one of their 20% promotions. I think I paid something like $238 once tax was added. Looked brand new when I got it and has been working fine for 5 years now.
Canadian buyers don't get to buy refurbished equipment - it's for the US only.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Canadian buyers don't get to buy refurbished equipment - it's for the US only.
Right but you can still go second hand. I think the 45mm tends to be a little bit of an awkward focal length for most people and I suspect a lot of the ones being resold are little used and in great shape. Plus there is not a lot to that lens so not much to go wrong with it (not buttons, switches, clutches, zooming, etc.) Just a focus ring.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Totally off topic but why do you say that? It's really close to 85mm on a full frame which is probably the most popular portrait focal length. I'm just surprised to hear it because probably 20-30% of my images are with the 45mm.
I meant for general purpose uses. It really is great if you are a portrait shooter. But many people, myself included, don't shoot a lot of formal portraits (or none) so this lens to us is simply a medium-telephoto and therefore not as versatile as something like the 17/1.8 or the 25/1.8 for general purpose walking around unless you don't mind changing lenses on the fly as you go. I love mine and don't mind changing lenses especially since it is so tiny you can keep it in a jacket pocket for easy access and the 17/25 can easily go into your pocket in the meantime. But it doesn't get nearly as much use for me & when I am carrying it I might get 10% of my images with it or sometimes none at all. But effortless to have along just in case.

Because it is a highly regarded & very affordable lens, a lot of people bought this lens. Many then ended up reselling it for the reasons I mentioned (oddly most people with interchangeable lenses do not like changing their lenses on the fly :rolleyes: ) which is why I am speculating that a lot of these second hand ones are probably lightly used, nicely discounted, and a great buy to try out. If the buyer also decides the focal length is not for them, they can probably get back most of what they spent on it.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So E-M5 III dropped to 900 already, wow. Interesting that PEN-F is the same price there and in stock.

I surely would have bought E-M5 III if it had cost 550 € used, rather than my PEN-F.

Wonder who will buy those last ones if the price is that high in comparison.

So E-M5 III dropped to 900 already, wow. Interesting that PEN-F is the same price there and in stock.

I surely would have bought E-M5 III if it had cost 550 € used, rather than my PEN-F.

Wonder who will buy those last ones if the price is that high in comparison.
I sent the first one back because it had cost 1000€, but kept the second one I bought used for 650€.

Real Name
Mark
It really is great if you are a portrait shooter. But many people, myself included, don't shoot a lot of formal portraits (or none) so this lens to us is simply a medium-telephoto and therefore not as versatile as something like the 17/1.8 or the 25/1.8 for general purpose walking around
I'd call myself a people, rather than portrait, photographer hence my regard for it but I get where you're going

(oddly most people with interchangeable lenses do not like changing their lenses on the fly :rolleyes: )
Yeah, that's DEFINITELY not me. I prefer primes so I always have the P14, P20, and Oly45 with me and swap constantly.

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Is the extra $300 worth it to get the E-M5 Mark III with the 14-150mm Lens? $1199 with, $899 body only
Guess so, the lens itself is $499 for black friday sales. My kit just arrived today, hopefully I didn't jump the gun!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom