1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus spare part (Mount for micro four thirds)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by UpRising, Aug 14, 2011.

1. UpRising

UpRising New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2011
    I broke plastic mount on my M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm(Micro Four Thirds).
    Is it possible to get a spare part anywhere? :(

Olympus service wants to charge me approx 170US$ for the service, because they do not dispatch spare parts for PAN.

If anyone here owns a broken olympus lens with undamaged mount(plastic or metal), I'm a buyer for that spare part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Sad to hear that...this is the reason why I always worry about my m4/3 plastic mount, have you check the ebay? Somebody out there may post their broken m4/3 lens for sale hopefully they have the mount for you...

3. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I know this is an old thread, but wondered if anyone has leads on the same part the OP was looking for? I dropped my PM1 with 40-150 attached last night, and cracked the mount on the lens in a similar fashion. I attempted to repair the broken mount, but its too badly distorted; the lens has a noticeable tilt to one side when mounted. Although a few test images seem to be ok, there's bound to be some focus issues due to the focal plane no longer being parallel to the sensor. Tilt-shift telephoto zoom, anyone? :wink:

Olympus wants $75 to repair it these days, but I can replace the part myself should the mount be available for purchase.... Otherwise, I may try out the Panasonic 45-150 to get better IS with the PM1, or just buy the 14-140 I've had my eye on. :biggrin:

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Can you just buy a broken lens with a METAL mount and swap that over? ...future-proof your lens :)

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Maybe, that'd be worth a try. But you'd first have to find a Micro Four-Thirds mount lens which is worth less than the plastic mount one you're trying to fix. ;) I guess the best candidate would be the original m.Zuiko 14-42mm with the metal mount which came with the E-P1 and E-P2. But the lens I'd totally have no issues taking apart would be the old m.Zuiko 14-42mm with the plastic mount that came with the E-PL1. If you grabbed the metal mount off an original 14-42mm or some defunct lens and put it on a 40-150mm, you'd end up with something pretty cool. Kinda like the original Zuiko 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 with the metal mount. ;)

I never liked the idea of plastic mounts, but always wondered in real-life just how they hold up. They don't make any plastic mount lenses which I really need, so I could never gain any long-term experience with them. Do you mind me asking, how old is this 40-150mm, and how often do you use it?

I'm probably the toughest on my lens mounts out of anybody I know. I swap lenses hard and fast at work. It's natural for me and I don't think about it until I see other photographers gawking at me and telling me, "Wow, that's the fastest lens change I've ever seen!". I'm so used to it that I pretty much just jam my lens and body together and they just lock in. I also do my lens changes while holding a body and lens or two lenses in each hand. Normal lenses with metal mounts can take years and years of the abuse I dish out with no ill effects.

6. ahinesdesign

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I did not realize the older 14-42 had a metal mount - those are selling cheaply enough to give it a try!

I have had the 40-150 for about a year, and use it regularly (though not as an every day lens) probably taken 2000-2500 photos with it. The plastic mount is durable enough, unless you drop your camera so that the lens hits the ground first... Breaking the lens mount probably saved the PM1 body, but those are selling about as cheap as used 40-150's!

7. ahinesdesign

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Just wanted to post an update for anyone who stumbles across this in the future:

Was able to find someone with a broken 14-42 who was kind enough to send me the mounting and associated parts. Unfortunately, it was not a perfect match for the 40-150. I was able to make it work with a little modification (trimmed a bit of plastic off the outer circumference of the mount plate, left out the copper shims that were under the original mount plate, swapped the electronic contacts block with the one from the 14-42). All of this seems to behave nicely, and the 40-150 remains a great performer. The only thing I notice is that the minimum focus distance doesn't seem as close as it was originally, although I haven't bothered measuring it to know if it is really off spec. Since repairing the lens, I've taken thousands of photos with it and checked for other damage that might be reflected in images often, and found none (that are detectable to my eye).

Still, I will ultimately replace the repaired 40-150 with another 40-150 (when I can catch them on sale for $99) or with a Panny 45-150...

• Like Like x 2
  8. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    40-150mm Replacement

Tis the season, I just ordered a silver one from Amazon for $119.

~ Lee