olympus software update advice sought

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rbelyell, Dec 9, 2013.

1. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    hi

i just received a vf4 and needed to update my epl5 to latest firmware so they could play together. i put the oly 45/1.8 on it and hooked it all up and the oly software updater said both cam and lens needed update. i hit ok and its been updating now for well over 30 minutes!

is this supposed to take this long? the little dialogue box saying 'firmware is updating etc' is there and the little light keeps whiring around the circle inside the dialogue box, leading me to think operations are ongoing, but...

2. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    45 minutes and counting...

3. samanthamed

samanthamed New to Mu-43

Dec 6, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Sam
    Oly firmware updates definitely take a long time in my experience (having updated the E-PM1 and E-PM2 at different points). There's a long segment of the update when your camera screen is black, which I presume is when the update is downloading. Then when the update is actually being applied, there will be some icons on the camera LCD warning not to power off or unplug the device. This second segment of the update process goes much more quickly than the black-LCD-screen portion.

Try to be patient! I'm sure all is well with the update.

4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Oly updates are strange. Their instructions are poorly worded and confusing.

Read and re-read all of the text on the computer and on the camera to make sure you aren't being asked to do something. It might be waiting for you to hit a button or something.

Whatever you do, do not do something without being told to do it. If you interrupt the process you may damage the camera, which would require a trip to an Olympus service center to fix.

5. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    thanks!

well it was over an hour and i just figured that couldnt be right, so i unhooked everything, took the lens off, took off the vf4 and started all over again! just the 'body update' this time. are there any settings i need to make in the camera before starting this process? itd be great if oly sent out a freaking paper manual with their cams!

6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Consider restarting your computer. Consider unplugging other peripherals. Use a fully charged camera battery. Light a candle, make a small prayer, and reread all of the instructions before doing anything. If you have an Apple computer, rub the Apple while performing the update.

7. samanthamed

samanthamed New to Mu-43

Dec 6, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Sam
    Additionally: if you're doing anything else on your computer while updating that would use up a lot of network bandwidth (e.g. streaming Netflix), try to free up as much bandwidth as possible to let the firmware download go more quickly. If you normally have slow internet, that would likely be a contributing factor to why it's taking quite a while.

8. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    i am a dope! on re reading instructions for the umpteenth time i finally saw the proviso to 'remove media card from camera'. hooboy!

note to self: temper your rants on the present state of education compared to the one i received!

thanks for your help.

9. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    That's odd, I've always missed that too, but I have never had a problem updating Oly firmware.

I find what is required is a full battery, lots of patience and blind faith...........works for me.

10. Bamamike

Bamamike Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Koblenz, Germany
    I just updated my 45mm and it took me about 2 minutes on wireless with my notebook, no memory card removed. But first connect the camera, set it to storage and then start the updater program.
    Cheers, Mike

11. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Should only take 2 mins at most I also have never removed the card and it always worked pretty fast for me. Use fully charged battery start updater turn on camera and press ok button should work fine.