1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus should give us an (S)HG lens or two!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Promit, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I don't know if there's really a market for it -- other than Ned :wink: -- but I would love to see Olympus release a High Grade lens for MFT. Not because I can afford one, but because it'd function as a halo for the system as a whole. We really don't have good zooms. Panasonic's bright X zooms still haven't appeared.

Just for reference, we're talking about lenses like this:
    Amazon.com: Olympus 35-100mm f/2.0 Zuiko Lens for E Series DSLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
    A flat out shock-and-awe monster of a lens, optimized for CDAF and built to pro spec. Unfortunately Olympus still doesn't consider MFT, even the OM-D, to be professional equipment and so I don't think they'll produce anything at this level any time soon. That's a mistake, IMO. The entire system would be more credible with just one or two lenses like that. Maybe we'll get lucky and Panasonic will actually deliver...

Yeah I know, this has been beaten to death. But just for one day, I want to handle a real pro grade m43 setup.

• Like Like x 3
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'd be in for sure. More-so if they made a M4/3 of the 7-14 (although I could live with the panny) 14-54 and 50-200. In real m4/3 mounts with real m4/3 focusing speeds.

What comes first? The pro level lenses or the pros to use them. i think there's a lot of pros waiting for the lenses to arrive. For a system to survive it needs an arsenal of top tier lenses for us to want to own. It pulls the rich first, then the pros and gives the rest an upgrade path. Look at the players. Canon, Nikon have the system to back the bodies. And now Sony is beginning to round out its pro lens line up (the 500 looks sensational) in anticipation of the a99 in a couple of months. A system without top end lenses will always be considered second rate, regardless of how good the cameras are.

Gordon

3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    You would need a way to AF track faster, so phase detection sensor seems most likely on a pro camera before you can release a native lens like the 35-100.

But I agree, the 35-100 is the lens most admired in the Four Thirds world, and with the recent Nikon and Canon price hike of their 70-200 lenses and 24-70. It actually looks quite affordable.

4. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Totally agree. This system needs a very high quality super wide angle, a 9mm or 10mm like the Contax G 21 (dreaming). The Oly 2/24 is ok but not excellent. On the tele side I guess it's easy to find adapted lens that suit the system but still, theres a lack.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's a 'Super High Grade' lens. 'High Grade' lenses are those like the 12-60 or 50-200. The prices on HG are no more than existing m4/3 lenses like the 7-14/4 or the 75-300/4.5-6.7. In fact it looks like the fast X zooms from Panasonic will cost a great deal more.

DH

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think you're going to be holding your breath for a long time if you're waiting for something like that. Besides, Olympus knows of the stockpile of 4/3 lenses and development that they have just sitting there. Considering what they've been saying in interviews, and considering the weather-sealed adapter they just released with the E-M5, it's obvious that Olympus is moving towards making an OM-D that is compatible with the 4/3 lineup by implementing phase detect, instead of retooling lenses of this size and caliber for m4/3. The difference in size between a 4/3 and a m4/3 version of that lens would be negligible. You'd think that they are going to try to implement on-sensor PDAF like the Nikon 1, since they've already released the adapter that clearly doesn't have a phase detect mirror, but maybe it's a stopgap until the real adapter comes out.

BTW, one of the reasons that 4/3 failed is because that 35-100mm you linked was larger, heavier, and more expensive than the full frame 70-200mm's. While it's a stop faster, the full frame versions are still more conducive to a shallower depth of field, due to the focal length differences, and since full frame sensors have so much more light hitting them for a given aperture and shutter speed combo, the 1-stop gain in lowlight exposure is more than offset by the capability of a full frame camera to turn the ISO up to the moon. Once you've seen a 35-100mm in person, you'll understand why it makes more sense to use it on a DSLR-sized body.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That's my read of the actual situation as well, though I'd much rather see them follow the Nikon route (on sensor PDAF) than the Sony route (SLT add-on assembly). The question is whether Olympus has the resources and IP to pull it off, especially if Panasonic isn't willing to help them. Panasonic seems all-in on m4/3, so I can imagine they'd rather finish up the X zooms and then forget to mail them to the US.
    Interesting. I picked the 35-100 basically to find the biggest, baddest lens but I think a much more reasonably sized and specced lens would be fine. A native refresh of the 14-54 or 12-60? I don't expect m43 to compete with the top of the line Canikon glass on sheer results alone, but some stellar compromise of size and performance. The rumors site is not even sure what aperture the X 12-35/35-100 will arrive at.

8. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Problem with Olympus is that it doesn't have IS lens, not a big problem with Olympus users, but an issue with Panasonic users.

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    So, what do you guys think the real reason was for Olympus introducing the weather sealed 4/3 lens adapter? Could it be to sell the weather sealed lenses from the 4/3 inventory, maybe at a very nice price? :biggrin:

10. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    It's probably for the people who have the E3 or E5 in hopes they will pick up a EM5.

11. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I would really love an SGH micro 4/3 lens, too!

12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Compete in sheer results? I think if we leave shallow DoF aside (not possible due to sensor/size constraints), there's no reason why m4/3 lenses shouldn't compete with top-of-the-line lenses from anybody. For landscapes, my Nikon 24-70/2.8 was certainly no better than the ZD 12-60 and I don't see why a m4/3 version need be any worse.

DH

13. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I wonder whether the weird coloring choices we've been seeing from Olympus may eventually become a m4/3 HG equivilent. The 45, 12, and [the very expensive if much maligned] 75-300 all come in silver. I know it isn't a perfect theory (the 45 is inexpensive, for example), but the upcoming 75mm also looks to be silver, so maybe? Anyway, like I said, this is just something I think about in the night times...

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think it's more about primes and zooms. Slow zooms vs. fast primes. The zooms are standard grade in their design and pricing (75-300 excepted). The primes are high grade in their design and pricing (17/2.8 excepted).

But unlike with 4/3, it doesn't seem likely they will break everything out quite so clearly. Weather-sealing, for instance, is not on the newly scheduled 75/1.8 or the 12/2...

DH

15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I was out at a dog show today, and the zoom lenses are killing me. I don't want to be running the camera at ISO 5000 for stills :frown: If Panasonic could do a 35-100 f/2.8 for a manageable price (1k-ish), I think it'd be worth spinning off some of the primes, for me.

16. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What do you use right now? Would ISO 3200 and 75/1.8 be sufficient?

DH

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Considering Oly hasn't release the lens, who knows? It would certainly be better than what I had today, and I'm not thrilled about the prospect of manual focusing a lens that long but I might adapt an 85mm anyway. (Although if I can bide my time for what, two months? I'll have the Oly...) I'd rather have the 2.8 zoom than the 45 and 75, though -- especially since a Panasonic would have OIS and I'm mostly on the GH2.