1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus service repair problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Sep 25, 2015.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I am having a major problem with Olympus Service. I dropped my EM-10 about 2 months ago from about 1 foot. The shutter locked closed and the camera would not turn on. Since it was out of warranty, I sent it Olympus and paid the service fee. The camera was sent back to my with the shutter fixed, but the camera would still not power on. The camera was sent back again. Again it was returned and appeared to be working. I charged my batteries and took the camera on a camping trip this past weekend, After 2 or 3 shots, the camera would not power on. I changed the battery and all seemed to be working again. I took a few more shots, but when I returned home, the next day, the camera again failed to turn on. Something is wrong and is messing up the batteries. I called Olympus Service back and asked if I could have a replacement camera since they have failed to diagnose the problem the previous two occasions. I was told they would replace it, I just needed to send it back. Olympus received the camera today and say it is "working fine" and that i need to send my batteries and lenses in, so they can diagnose the problem. I have already wasted 2 months with them "diagnosing the problem". I would like to have the camera replaced as I was promised. It has become a hassle sending the camera to Olympus (three times already) and now they want me to send more items.

Any advice on what to do? I am have been without my camera for almost 7 weeks and am getting super frustrated.

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Sometimes, a smart battery (BLS-5) can also be damaged by impact because it has a smart chip in there that tells the battery about its charge status or the internal solder may have come loose. A lot of these electronics are soldered with lead-free solder which may likely be prone to disconnection when subjected to shock -- unlike the more toxic lead solder. Industry standards mandate the use of lead-free solder in most countries. If this chip is malfunctioning or solder developed a crack, it may tell the camera that the camera is dead but the battery is still good intermittently. So I would send in all the batteries as well as the lens that was attached to the camera when it dropped. Most likely, if the camera is fixed, then whatever that was with the camera before it was dropped may cause this malfunction.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I know I'm relying on processes from the film camera days, but I'd suggest you get your retailer involved and get them to drag the local Olympus account rep involved. He presumably knows the internal Oly food chain and can hopefully assist with sorting things out. There's nothing like having a voice on the inside.

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    It is difficult in this day and age, because most of the digital camera repairs are done by subcontractors. In the film days, they are mostly done by factory trained technicians. Technicians who work for these subcontractors are not paid well for their work plus retailer staff are mostly paid with a low base rate and relying mostly on group sales commission rate so any rep will have a hard time following up unless you are a big spender. Any time and effort need to be justified by the time compensated by possible future sales. No sales no help unfortunately in this day and age. So that's why we consumers ended up being the shipper/receiver and even quality control.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  5. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I would agree that something may have happened to the battery when it was dropped, but that doesn't explain my 2nd battery, that wasn't in the camera, failing.

Both batteries were fully charged on a Friday evening and I put one in the camera. When I went to use the camera for the first time on Sunday morning, the camera did not turn on. I put the battery in my wife's EPL-5 and it would also not turn on. I put my second battery in the camera, took a few pictures, including a live composite, and went home on Monday. When I turned the camera on when I got home, it would not turn on. Tried the second battery in my wife's camera and it would not turn hers on either. I recharged one of the batteries and put it in the camera the next morning and the camera turned on fine.

I have a feeling when it was dropped, something else in the camera is failing, shorting out the batteries while the camera is turned off.

All I know is I wish they would just replace the camera as promised. If not, refund my $160 and lose a good Olympus customer. Thing is, I really like Olympus cameras, but this service thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Ahh okay now I get it. It seemed that your repaired E-M10 is draining the BLS-5 way way too quickly. There is an internal short. Phone Olympus again and explain to them this situation that your repaired camera is draining batteries completely for less than a day. This is not normal. I think Olympus thought that you had an intermittent power issue when they re-checked, but I think according to you is now a battery drain issue and ask for a service supervisor to raise your case. Another possibility is your memory card. A defective memory card CAN ALSO drain the battery if the card is in your camera during the moment of impact.

Try this..

1, Recharge your battery to full
    2, Insert a charged battery into camera
    3, DO NOT insert any memory card

If the camera turns on in the morning, then

1, Recharge your battery to full
    2, Insert a charged battery into camera
    3, Insert a NEW SD memory card into camera

If the camera turns on in the morning, then

you know the old SD memory card is defective (broken due to impact) and the card slot on the camera is fine (sometimes impact can cause ground pin short on the SD slot). Replace the memory card and keep shooting away.

If the camera did not turn on in the morning even if you have no memory card inserted, then you know it's the camera.

Hope this helps..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Check the benefits provided by the credit card you used to buy the camera (also pay for the repair). Many provide an extra year warranty - on the camera or repair. Most people forget this.

8. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    When I bought the camera I bought it from an online retailer. For convenience, I used paypal at checkout to pay. So all I had was the Olympus warranty which expired about 5 months before the drop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I'd send the lens and batteries. Simply because the issue does not seem to be limited to your camera as you've stated. If you get the same camera back but repaired, then you have a camera that you know and know the history of. If you get another camera, you have no idea if any hidden issues might be lurking.

Hopefully Olympus has been paying for all of this shipping since the first trip.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    If you used a credit card for repair get them involved.

Olympus was screwing around with me (either by strategic or actual incompetence) when I returned a refurb E-M10 that arrived in unacceptable condition. Lots of phone calls and wasted time. I finally entered a PayPal claim. Oly miraculously got their act together in a couple of days and refunded my money.

I'd put pressure on them to fix or replace. And try to get some or all of your repair cost back as well, as you'll be missing your camera for more than two months until all is said and done. Forget self-diagnosis -- that is their job.

Good luck!

11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I agree with bikerhiker: try to explain what you already tried, in particular the test with the second camera. If it is a drain problem they can quickly check for it as they already have the camera. But it's also possible that the hypothetical drain is caused by the lens or card (so they won't find anything). This also means that a replacement could not solve the issue. I'd send the extra parts only after they did this quick check.
    I'm sure they are used to hear the most incredible theories so try to explain the tests you did without pushing your conclusions too much.

You could try the lens/card on the second camera but I'm not sure if I'd want to experiment too much with a working camera...

12. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I bought my 40-150 PRO using PayPal, but I re linked my PayPal to my AMEX card. When my lens was damaged, AMEX covered everything, including all shipping.

Both of my E-M10's will go completely dead with a low battery. I don't get any warning, but I might also have something set wrong.