1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Service And Repair Sucks

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by edwardconde, Jun 25, 2013.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Olympus Service & Repair....

Back on June 13th... Olympus S&R received my OM-D. The issue was the EVF went on the fritz and stopped working... After a bit of research and positive feedback about their service, I felt confident that they would resolve the issue with my camera in a timely manner. I called them prior to shipping to get an idea on the turn around time for a repair. They stated 2 - 3 days to check in for repair and then a week or so for repair. So I sent in my camera and I have not seen it since....

I have called numerous times to get different time tables on how long it takes to process the repair into the system. I was told 2 - 3 days, then changed to 3-4 days then changed to 5 business days.. and the most recent is 5 - 7 days. This is just to get the repair into the system to generate a work order! WTF!!!!

I have remained calm on the phone and have just listened to the repeated information over and over again. Today when I called, I got a different operator to help... She asked me to repeat the same information I have provided numerous times. I told her I sent the package to the El Paso S&R center and that it has been over 9 Business days since they have received my package. Then I asked her, how long do I have to wait till they did something about my missing camera? When is it going to get into the system and actually repaired? Why can't they talk to anyone in the Service and Repair center? Not once have they tried to connect me or have tried to get connected while I was on hold.

This is real crappy service if you ask me. I am so regretting getting the OM-D now... I didn't know it was such a sensitive camera...

I am giving them a few more days till I try other measures to get some answers....

I don't think I am the only one in the same boat... Anyone else have their camera in for repair at Olympus? Has it taken forever to get it into the system?

2. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I actually had exposure issues with the camera, severe unexposure, and a guy from olympus called, said he is working on an exchange...that was a month ago.. i gave up. as the issue rarely rarely happens.

3. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    So you never sent it in I take it? Lucky you... :thumbup:

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I had my camera sent in june 2012, back when they had their own NJ repair center and before they started outsourcing their call centers to India. I got GREAT service...fast and on time, without any crap from the CS reps. I was affraid this would happen when they outsourced their customer service. I hope you get things straightened out.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    WORD TO THE WISE.... if having a reliable camera available to you at all times is important... don't make do with having just 1 body.

"Two is one, and one is none" as is often said regarding firearms and preparedness.

Have two camera bodies, if possible, and then if you should be so unfortunate as to have to return a camera for repairs, you will not be stressed nor anxious during the repair process. Count on one going down at any time... and have another body to see you through in that case. Then send the problem body off and forget about it until it returns. And if having a fully functional camera body is VERY important to you... having three bodies is not all-that-bad of an idea! :wink: Modern high-tech products are always susceptible to problems... especially those with computerized functions.

6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have backup bodies (3 of them)... so my photo needs are taken care of... my point of this post is they still have not put the camera into the ticketing system. The only method of tracking I have is the UPS tracking # that shows that it was delivered.. Thats it!!! No one on the phone can confirm other than via the tracking # where exactly the camera is at the service center... But if they have outsourced this to a repair center, then that could be where the disconnect is...

7. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Eddie! Life is a struggle isn't it! I'm glad you're well covered for your photography needs. That's the main thing as far as your photographic objectives are concerned. :smile:

As for Olympus service sucking... it sounds like you have every right to grumble and be unhappy. Hopefully, they'll get it all sorted out for you before too long. In the meantime, thankfully, the service (or lack of it!) on the one body doesn't impact your photography, given the THREE additional bodies you have to work with.

You are fortunate to have THREE back-up bodies! You have most certainly well-seen to it that you would not be put in a bad way should one body go down.

My true sympathies are with those who have only one body and it must be returned for service/repair. :frown: It's those folks, in particular, who I was addressing with my comment about having more than one body.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually Olympus service is very good.

Every brand has its horror stories...I can tell you plenty about Canon, Nikon, and Sony...but none about Olympus!

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    My OMD has been into Olympus Service & Repair 3 times. Yes not good but these things happen.

First time. Arrived on a Tuesday. Told to come to collect it Friday repaired. On Friday camera collected repaired.

Second time. The day the camera arrived they returned it saying that the parts would take approximately 4 weeks to arrive from Japan and that they would call me back when they arrived. 4 weeks later to the exact day the call me to tell me that the parts had arrived. They received the camera and returned it repaired the next day.

Third time. They received it in the morning and told me to collect it repaired between 3pm and 5pm in the afternoon. I collected it repaired before 5pm.

So all in all excellent service that far exceeded my expectations.

I have to say if you are unhappy with Olympus's service and repair then I certainly dont expect it to improve in the future. Olympus is losing US$150m in cameras and really needs to reduce their SG&A overhead by around 70% to reach profitability. I would expect quick turnaround service and repair centers to be one of the first 'costs' on the block (especially in a place like Bangkok.)

Incidentally Panasonic do not have a service and repair center for cameras in Thailand at all (to the best of my knowledge).

10. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I have sent my cameras (e-m5) twice to the UK service centre and had it returned within 10 days both times. I actually bought it from a Olympus main dealer and they handled the return etc. ... so maybe that is the difference.

I am sorry to hear your poor experience but I have to say mine is very positive ...

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    In the United States, Olympus service is done by Precision Camera (you can enter your repair data into that web page and get your status). The Olympus µ4/3 cameras are repaired in the CT facility. So when you send your camera to TX, they open the box, look at what's in the box and then ship it to CT. It is virtually impossible to get through on the phone to an Olympus employee in the US.

They did ok with the E-PL5 I had repaired a couple of months ago. Good luck.

12. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah that is what i found out on a flickr group... thanks..

13. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Just posted on another thread, but it sucks to hear some of you are having issues with repairs in the US. My experience was beyond great when dealing with Olympus USA, but I did speak with them on the phone and told them I was using the camera for "paid assignments". Not sure how much that helped but I had the camera back in a blink.

14. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tried the "I need it back before my 4th of july vacation... " Doesn't look like that worked... :eek:

Owell... I guess I can just keep calling and getting a status... :confused:

15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The approach I like to take in situations like this is focus on using the gear I have and forget all about the gear that's being serviced. Then one day, unexpectedly, the gear that was being serviced is returned and back in use. Forget about it and it won't be bothering/frustrating to you.

16. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    So i called today just to get my update for the day... This time i was surprised with "They are working on your camera.. They have started the initial diagnosis" The escalation agent stated they are going to request expedited service and shipping.. He says it should be in the system tomorrow according to the inter-office correspondence he received...

I asked him if it was being repaired in the el paso facility or the Connecticut facility and he could not confirm...

Anyhow... getting there...

17. cr3nk

cr3nk Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2013
    Sorry to hear of you experiences with Olympus USA.

I've had my OM-D break down recently (mode dial didnt work), and Olympus AU was really quick with the diagnosis, repair and eventually they express courier-ed it back to me.

Hope you hear about your camera soon! :wink:

18. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Update: doesn't look like OLY support is going to honor the warranty. The receipt is under a different name since I got it used. I called today and they are waiting on payment. I told them again that it is under warranty. I have to call back Monday to get ahold of the escalation dept and see what is the reason they are not honoring the warranty. But not once have I received a call or an email telling me this.

19. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    You have to find out if the warranty is transferable. If it isn't, then Precision Camera won't eat the cost, because there is no benefit to them to do so. Either you pay for the repair, or Olympus pays for the repair. Losing the ability to protect a company's goodwill is just another downside of using a 3rd party to perform repair work.

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    To be fair, it is my opinion that every camera manufacturer's repair service sucks.

Gary

PS- In edwardconde's case ... it really really sucks.
    G