Olympus sent me a damaged E-M10!

300spartans

New to Mu-43
I recently ordered a refurbished E-M10 from the Olympus Canada store after seeing so many good experiences online with their refurbished products.

The camera just arrived and it looked brand new until I went to put in the battery only to discover that the bottom has a huge dent in it making the battery compartment panel very difficult to close. Just look at the photo. I am amazed that this was missed during the inspection! Huge dent plus it looks like a screw is missing. Perhaps the 5-point inspection needs to be improved a little.....!

I called Olympus and have to go through the refund/exchange process. I sold off my E-PL5 and E-M5 and now have to wait all over again for another camera. At least I have an E-PM1 to tide me over.

So this thread is to detail how well the return goes and to see if Olympus makes it right by at least covering the shipping cost, which by the way is from the Canadian Arctic, so not cheap.

PA075163.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/URL][/IMG]

bye

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wouldn't this be a good idea if you and Olympus resolve this issue privately and at least give them a chance to right a wrong rather making a thread out of it? Humans make mistakes and clearly this is something they had missed. Most of the refurbished products are subcontracted out to independent ASRs on a load piece basis. The person who's inspecting your camera is probably paid minimum wage and had to meet production quota because the contracted company is paid on piece meal basis. So sometimes, they missed QC like in your case. The majority of corporations today use customers as their QC. It's sad, but we had reach a maturation point where cameras are just commodities and while it's a dear sum of money to you since it's like $600; be appreciative that you are receiving a savings. Good luck on your exchange. I've dealt with Olympus refurb division and have been very happy with them so far. They're good to deal with.

300spartans

New to Mu-43
I am not hating on Olympus. If they resolve everything well, then I will report that. I've read plenty of positive reviews of these refurbished products, I think people deserve to know that it is not always perfect. Thanks for your reply.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
I thought that the OP was in line. He stated the facts and plans to report back on how the situation is handled. I find no fault with posting that the original shipment was defective. If all goes well this post could relieve some stress for anyone else that has a similar situation.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Folks on this forum have gotten bad refurbs before. I got a refurb EM5 through Cameta and the shutter died. It was gone for 4 weeks, they replaced most of the innards, and it's been fine since. Just my experience.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't mind the post, but yeah, some people get bad refurbs just like some people get brand new cameras that are defective. Not news imo. Only becomes interesting if the outcome is not the expected replacement of the camera.

randyspan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Randy Spann
Well --- I agree with the OP! Olympus seems to have a problem in the repair/refurb department. I've had my M10 in the shop 4 times since May, and they can't seem to fix the camera/lens. So I for one think posts like this are valuable to share for us having Olympus problems.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Getting refurbs from Oly is a bit like playing the lottery, you rolled a snake eyes. I've bought about a dozen refurbs from them, one was a straight out used camera, everything else was pristine and no way to tell it was ever used.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Well --- I agree with the OP! Olympus seems to have a problem in the repair/refurb department. I've had my M10 in the shop 4 times since May, and they can't seem to fix the camera/lens. So I for one think posts like this are valuable to share for us having Olympus problems.

Same issue?

--Ken

randyspan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Randy Spann
Not same issue. I "think" the lens focus mechanism gets stuck so the camera throws up it's hands and black screens. They (when in the shop) say all is ok, but when I get it back, does the same thing! I've asked for camera/lens replacement, probably won't get it. I purchased in May, so I've had very little use of the camera.

nixapatfan

Mu-43 Regular
Agreed with OP my first EP-5 was the same way, stuck IBIS showing error messages on the screen, 4 logged error codes and a deep scratch. Olympus 5 point inspection doesn't mean much. My second order, becasue they don't do replacements on refurbs you have to return and reorder was like new. Also the refund to apply back to the CC takes around a month so the OP will be on the hook for twice the amount for a billing cycle. They did offer to reimburse for return shipping after I asked them about it. Overall the people at GetOly are nice to deal with but the refurb experience leaves much to be desired, but I'd play the refurb lottery again just becasue eventually I will get something in like new condition.

Latest threads

Top Bottom