Olympus Repair Services in CT

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gwpack, Mar 3, 2016.

1. gwpack

gwpack New to Mu-43

Mar 3, 2016
    Greg Pack
    My EM5 had a plastic flake sliver fall off an SD card and lodge in the SD slot. My eyes are not good so I sent it off to the Olympus repair service in CT a month ago. My original phone call said the repair should be about $59. A follow up email asked for $168. The repair status for almost three weeks has been waiting on parts. When I call I get someone in Columbia and no one ever seems to answer my question: What part are they waiting on and when is the expected delivery date. Has anyone else experienced this kind of service from Olympus?

2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    My E-M10 was repaired quickly by them but that was under warranty. I sent it in with a letter describing the problem, which was a locked shutter mechanism, right before Christmas, they received it on December 24th, and got it back the beginning of the second week in January. Considering the Holiday shipping time, and the Holidays in that period of time I thought that was pretty quick turn around. While they had it they cleaned it and updated the firmware. Of course it's not like I was waiting for the camera to return as there are other cameras to be used. If you need it back quickly it will take longer. I think that is part of Murphy's Law.

3. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Sorry to hear you are having issues with the service and hope they resolve it soon.

I recently knocked my E-M5ii and 17mm badly so sent it in repair/adjustment. I did have an issue with repair on the 17mm that required me to resend it in. The first round of repair time was very quick with good communication. The costs were known up front with no additional charges. Wasn't happy about the lens issue, but customer service turned it around the redo on the lens in a couple of days at no shipping or other costs. From the repair notes, it didn't look like any parts were required.

4. gwpack

gwpack New to Mu-43

Mar 3, 2016
    Greg Pack
    I took an E-PL-3 on vacation and dropped it. I cracked the LCD screen, dented the body and broke off the shutter release. For about $130 Olympus had it back all repaired in two weeks. Works great. My EM5 had a sliver of plastic in the SD slot preventing the slot from latching. For a while I taped down the battery cover and it worked fine but I decided to get the sliver out. They have had it for a month. One wonders what part has been back ordered for three weeks. I would think Olympus could send a part from another of their repair facilities. To me, a former QC engineer who worked closely with repair services, this doesn't make sense.

5. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I agree that is troubling at least without any reasonable explanation. I'm assuming you can see it is registered in their online system and is noted as 'in repair'? I would certainly be on the phone at this point.

6. gwpack

gwpack New to Mu-43

Mar 3, 2016
    Greg Pack
    Received: Feb 4, 2016
    Repair is on hold, waiting for parts.

Parts Ordered

This came off the Olympus Repair Status Lookup for customers.

7. dccase

dccase Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    Massachusetts, USA
    Just another report...

When the rear dial fell off my E-M10, I brought it into the CT location myself. (Good excuse for a pleasant drive and lunch at a near-by Mexican restaurant)
    I had pre-registered through the Olympus support web site. The camera was under extended warranty.
    I had no trouble there. Showed it to the woman at the desk, filled out a form, she copied my receipts, and I was on my way.
    It was shipped back to me within a week at no charge. The status on their web site did get periodically updated, though perhaps a day late.
    It had been repaired, and cleaned to look like brand new. But it had been factory reset - I had to re-do all my settings.

In summary: The facility does actually exist. Real people work there. In my case they did a good job.
    Perhaps for more complex repairs they ship the camera to another facility?

8. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    So, of all coincidences as you start this thread, I find out today that one of my D750's was recalled by Nikon.... so, out the door with that one... at least Nikon paid the shipping.

Anyway, hoping you get your camera back soon from Olympus.

9. gwpack

gwpack New to Mu-43

Mar 3, 2016
    Greg Pack
    Parts came in. EM5 was worked on for a week. Now work has stopped waiting on parts. Been in repair for 6 weeks for plastic flake in SD slot. Camera works when you hold card down. But card would pop back out because sliver of plastic was keeping SD slot from latching. Repair services has not responded to my last two emails beyond the auto-response. Ugh!

10. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    What brand was the SD card?

11. gwpack

gwpack New to Mu-43

Mar 3, 2016
    Greg Pack
    I usually use SanDisk but I don't remember the brand. My wife was using the camera and it may have been different.

On Friday 3/18/16 I received an email that my camera was out of repair and they needed fresh credit card info to send the camera to me. I called it in. My bank statement shows it paid. I am still waiting on shipping notification. My camera has been in Olympus Repair since 2/4/16.