Olympus Repair Portal sucks

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
im lucky to live in same city as a major regional olympus office and facility. instead of shipping my stuff off, i register the repair online, bring it to the actual office, the mail guy will stamp my delivery slip.

have done this for 1 body and 1 lens separately

it takes about +2 business days for online system to acknowledge receipt; +1 day for actual repair; +2 business day for delivery to arrive back at home.

could be a Monday-Friday turnaround.

Ron Evers

Mu-43 Regular
In the country, 60km north of Toronto ON CA
Real Name
Ron Evers
Well I got good service @ a cost.

The left strap lug fell off my E-M5, 6 weeks out of warranty & Oly would give me no slack & charged me 182C$ to reset it. I also had an E-PM1 under warranty that would not retain date & time after the battery was exchanged. I drove an hour to Oly`s Toronto repair contractor to deliver them on a Monday & got the E-PM back 2 days later by courier & the EM-5 back the next day.

JudyM

Mu-43 All-Pro
You guys are scaring me. I was just browsing through this thread as a "heads up" of what to expect from Olympus repair. My E-M1 went back to Olympus on 5/23 for the green spots in the viewfinder. USPS tracking confirms it was delivered, but no word on Oly's tracking site and no email confirmation. This is quite a contrast from my experience with Canon service: I sent my 24-105mm lens in for repair after dropping it and had it back within a week.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
You guys are scaring me. I was just browsing through this thread as a "heads up" of what to expect from Olympus repair. My E-M1 went back to Olympus on 5/23 for the green spots in the viewfinder. USPS tracking confirms it was delivered, but no word on Oly's tracking site and no email confirmation. This is quite a contrast from my experience with Canon service: I sent my 24-105mm lens in for repair after dropping it and had it back within a week.

It usually takes a week to hit their tracking system. If the parts are available, then it can take a few days to a week for the repairs. As I am on the west coast and UPS ground shipping takes five business days, the whole process takes about four weeks from door to door for me. On a brighter spot, the E-M5 that was seen twice by them seems to be operating quite nicely, although it has only been back about a week or so.

Good luck,

--Ken

JudyM

Mu-43 All-Pro
It usually takes a week to hit their tracking system. If the parts are available, then it can take a few days to a week for the repairs. As I am on the west coast and UPS ground shipping takes five business days, the whole process takes about four weeks from door to door for me. On a brighter spot, the E-M5 that was seen twice by them seems to be operating quite nicely, although it has only been back about a week or so.

Good luck,

--Ken

Thanks, this is good to know. I sent mine by USPS Priority 2 Day so I could track it. At least I know they've received it. I've got other cameras I can use for the time being, so a few weeks won't be that bad.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Thanks, this is good to know. I sent mine by USPS Priority 2 Day so I could track it. At least I know they've received it. I've got other cameras I can use for the time being, so a few weeks won't be that bad.

Your main benefit is that you are probably one to two days away from Olympus by UPS ground. I just got my second E-M5 back yesterday, but have not had a chance to test it out. If in doubt about where things stand, you can always call Precision Camera. They are very helpful on the phone.

Good luck,

--Ken

JudyM

Mu-43 All-Pro
My E-M1 arrived back from repair today. Exactly two weeks elapsed between handing it over to USPS, and the UPS driver handing it back to me. For a non-professional not relying on a camera for a living, I'm happy with that turnaround time.

All in all, I came away impressed with Olympus service. In addition to repairing the EVF under warranty, they cleaned the sensor, recalibrated and realigned the autofocus, cleaned the camera internally and externally, and did the firmware update that I hadn't gotten to. Attention to details like that go a long way in my book. I'm hoping for the best that the spots were some kind of material defect and not a limitation of the camera's use in sunlight, but for now my overall impression is that this was a positive experience.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
My E-M1 arrived back from repair today. Exactly two weeks elapsed between handing it over to USPS, and the UPS driver handing it back to me. For a non-professional not relying on a camera for a living, I'm happy with that turnaround time.

All in all, I came away impressed with Olympus service. In addition to repairing the EVF under warranty, they cleaned the sensor, recalibrated and realigned the autofocus, cleaned the camera internally and externally, and did the firmware update that I hadn't gotten to. Attention to details like that go a long way in my book. I'm hoping for the best that the spots were some kind of material defect and not a limitation of the camera's use in sunlight, but for now my overall impression is that this was a positive experience.

Great to hear! Two things to keep in mind. Repair work is usually guaranteed for six months. And, do check everything out on your camera to make sure that nothing happened to it by accident or in transit. The chance is low, but you do not want to find out weeks from now when it will be hard to tie it back to the time it was out of your hands.

--Ken

IDLookout

Mu-43 Regular
Imagine that - Olympus did not fix my shutter. Apparently they got the camera and even though i detailed exactly what what going on and even referenced others with the same problem, all they did was clean up the camera, recalibrate and send it back. Still have black frames with 1/4000 and it's repeatable.

Sent a nice little email to the guy i had been emailing back and forth with as well as a nice shot of a perfectly black frame. Now i have to send it in AGAIN and be without my camera for Another Month as they take their own sweet time... and i give it about 1:1 odds that they'll even fix it this time.

Thanks Olympus!

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I won't say they "suck" just yet, but my E-P5 IBIS was wonky so it went out USPS on 5/23, marked as "received" and "in repair" by OIA Service on 6/2, and still no updates - 3 weeks and counting...

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Imagine that - Olympus did not fix my shutter. Apparently they got the camera and even though i detailed exactly what what going on and even referenced others with the same problem, all they did was clean up the camera, recalibrate and send it back. Still have black frames with 1/4000 and it's repeatable.

Sent a nice little email to the guy i had been emailing back and forth with as well as a nice shot of a perfectly black frame. Now i have to send it in AGAIN and be without my camera for Another Month as they take their own sweet time... and i give it about 1:1 odds that they'll even fix it this time.

Thanks Olympus!

Were you emailing with somebody at Olympus or at Precision? I would suggest trying to connect with them once they have your camera. I had two cameras that took some time to repair, one for IBIS and one for a shutter, but both seem to be working fine now. It was a long process, but in the end, it did work out, and chew up a bit of patience.

Good luck,

--Ken

mpg01

Mu-43 Regular
I've just got an E-M1 a few weeks ago and am experiencing the dreaded rear wheel skipping and I know I need to send it in. At leas this time I've got a backup body. I know that Precision handles repairs for other brands as well and they're a very busy shop but I just wish that there were a better alternative. Heck, I'd send the thing to Canada if I knew there would be a minimum turn around time instead of feeling like I've just mailed my expesive equiptment into the abyss, Fingers crossed.

IDLookout

Mu-43 Regular
Were you emailing with somebody at Olympus or at Precision? I would suggest trying to connect with them once they have your camera. I had two cameras that took some time to repair, one for IBIS and one for a shutter, but both seem to be working fine now. It was a long process, but in the end, it did work out, and chew up a bit of patience.

Good luck,

--Ken

Both actually. I LOVE my E-M5, but giving it up for another month over the 4th of July would suck. I'll hold off until the 6 months is nearly over. Then it's back to my E-510.

JimUSNY

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
I sent my EM1 in for EVF replacement week before last and had it back in 10 days, with two weekends included, so not too bad.. maybe they do the straight forward stuff first

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Well, it's my turn now. My E-M1 sensor has acquired two tiny scratches. One scratch is over-top of the PDAF array, and the other is in the bottom corner. You don't see the effects of those scratches with a normal-to-wide angle lens, but if you throw on a tele like the 75-300 you definitely can see them. Looking at it through the sensor loupe, the scratches appear to be deep enough to have edges. Grain of sand perhaps? Or something shedding off the shutter blades?

Curious as I am as to how those scratches got there, I'm hoping Olympus just makes good on it and repairs it.

Looks like I'll be dealing with Trinitek in Mississauga.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Well, I got my camera back after a week at Trinitek in Mississauga in Canada. They cleaned the sensor and got the scrathes/dust/whatever off the sensor, and now the Wifi doesn't work. It shows "Wifi Starting" and then quickly changes to "Wifi Stopping" and back to the SCP. So, Olympus sent me a set of "Re-Do" paperwork to send the camera back again for evaluation. At that time they'll decide if it's repairable or a swap.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Well, I got my camera back after a week at Trinitek in Mississauga in Canada. They cleaned the sensor and got the scrathes/dust/whatever off the sensor, and now the Wifi doesn't work. It shows "Wifi Starting" and then quickly changes to "Wifi Stopping" and back to the SCP. So, Olympus sent me a set of "Re-Do" paperwork to send the camera back again for evaluation. At that time they'll decide if it's repairable or a swap.

:frown:

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I just got off the phone for the second time with Olympus, at this point my E-P5 has been "in repair" for 7 weeks and counting. A week or so ago they said they were waiting for parts, today at least they say the parts are in and it should be back "sometime next week" ... ugh.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
So, I finally got my E-M1 back from repair. They fixed the Wifi that they broke, and I'm not totally sure, but whatever cleaning they say they did to the IS system to remove the spots from the sensor seems to have improved the IS. It seems like the image tilts less after you take a photo and I'm certain that before I sent the camera in, I could not drop my shutter speed as low as I can now.

...and yes, my hands still have issues with noticeable hand tremors - so I don't think my technique is any different. Strange. Perhaps my camera was not up to spec from the factory?

adamsmt2013

Mu-43 Regular
I just sent in my E-PL5 nine days ago for a repair to the missing shutter button and the failing rear navigation wheel. I called Olympus with warrantee and serial number in hand. She helped me navigate to the warrantee claim website and instructed me how to ship the camera.

This afternoon, I got the UPS email indicating my camera was delivered - total of nine days for shipment to, repair of, and return shipment.

I could not have asked for a better experience than what I received.

Latest threads

Top Bottom