olympus repair - credit where credit's due

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by piggsy, Jul 13, 2017.

1. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

My E-P5 broke in June, suffering from a few other faults along the way before its demise (alcohol-immune front dial skipping, rec button ceased to function, sloppy button responses etc). I wasn't optimistic about getting it fixed and was hovering over picking up a replacement E-P5 from Ebay rather than having it repaired. But I went for it anyway and thought it couldn't hurt to send it off.

So anyway, Olympus did a really damn good job of fixing my E-P5. A fairly scuffed, worn and dusty camera was delivered to them and one I'd accept as excellent++ without a doubt came back. Even the scuffed leather on the front, and the very slight rotational play on the lens mount are fixed, which I didn't mention as problems to be looked at. And it has 6 months new warranty, and a brand new shutter, for $200 and a 10 working day or so turnaround.

That was pretty good!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Dogbert62

Dogbert62 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Patrick
    Same serial number?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    That was quick.
    It took them 6 weeks to fix my skipping rear dial. Since then I have hardly used it for fear of it breaking down again, so now it is just a spare.
    But your experience looks good and a very quick turnaround.

4. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    you got yourself your old mate back but with a new heart, same spirit tho :)
    They fixed my skipping wheels a while back and has been good since (it was under warranty)

5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Yep, first thing I checked when I noticed the leather. Matches the one on the box here. They could have extracted the old serial plate on it but it looks pretty delicate and fiddly to shift.

6. KeithT

KeithT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2017
    South Africa
    Keith Temlett
    Good news and kudos to Olympus . . . . spend good money on the brand . . . . get good service . . . . stay loyal

7. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I had my 12-40/2.8 repaired last month - it had the broken mount problem that seemed be a thing when the lens was released but is now rarely mentioned - and I was very happy with the service I received. Although it was massively out of warranty, the price was quite favourable after I had a chat with the technician. Despite its age, my lens is a very clean copy so that might have helped establish that I don't abuse my kit.

Piggsy, if you tire of the look of your E-P5, check out E-P5 Leather Kit from Aki Asahi. I reckon they improve the feel as well the look.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm toying with the idea of having a 12-60 SWD lens repaired (that I had bought used last year). The aperture blades started to stick & so I exercised them with the preview button at f22 & now it's permanently stuck there. The 50-200 SWD lens (also bought used) did similar to me last year, but I went & bought the 40-150 Pro + MC14 to take its place, however I still wonder if that (50-200 SWD lens) would be worth repairing too.

I can at least drive down to them in Macquarie Park in an hour but have the free postage back to me, as I did with the E-M5 display frame.

9. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks! I usually use it with either one of these metal l-plates when it's in the big flash rig,

MSo85Tw.

or my JB wood grip when I have a telephoto on it (with a pistol grip underneath the lens tripod)
    12235631906_9898540768_c. JB Olympus EP5 Wood Grip-4

although speaking of, the one thing I did kinda want when I went looking for a replacement on ebay, was that there was also a (japan only?) all white e-p5 made, rather than just the black and silver we got here,

cZI2739.

K8rYLt9.

would've had to paint the vf-4 with it though :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    It would only be worth it if you actually would use those lenses after being repaired. If you repaired them and then just left the on a shelf all the time, then there was no point. The older 50-200mm NON-SWD is no longer supported for repair (at least in the USA). The SWD version is but who knows for how long. So if you did want to get the 50-200mm SWD fixed, better sooner than later.

That said, I had my 12-60mm repaired a couple years ago for aperture failure as well and it has worked flawlessly since. I certainly couldn't replace it for the $166 US Dollars repair price.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks. It's the 12-60 SWD lens that recently failed I really want fixed. I noticed the fault a couple of months ago but put it out of my mind when deciding to grab an E-M1 Mk II at end of financial year (eofy) specials, plus Olympus bonus offers & picking up the lens again for a few shots it showed it failing again. I really like that lens & range.

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    My only experience was with a reconditioned 25 f1.8 that was DOA. Sent it on Monday via Priority Mail (Hawaii to the mainland), got it back Friday (also via Priority Mail). Since it takes about two days for Priority Mail either way, I was mightily impressed. And, it was free of charge (under warranty) and they reimbursed me for my shipping cost.

• Like Like x 2
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Olympus Europe's repair service is excellent. Fast and very competent. Can't comment on price though- the two times I've used them it was always warranty work (skipping dials).

14. PhillyBill

PhillyBill Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 5, 2012
    William Jordan
    My experience with getting a dropped lens fixed proved fast, friendly, and effective. The focus/zoom gears repair failed the first time, and they accepted that likely no repair would hold, so they sent me a refurbished copy of the latest model of the lens. The entire turnaround was about 10 days. They sent the replacement out without my having to send the hopeless one back first, noting that they would charge me only if the crocked lens was not back in their hands in 30 days! The woman on the phone said, "It's a pro lens; we don't want to waste your time." She had the power to do all of this - no argument, no endless wait while a supervisor was brought in.

I have heard horror stories from people who have dealt with other companies. In similar situations, they were simply told that the lens was beyond repair and refunded only for the failed repair, with shipping and "evaluation" charges deducted.

• Like Like x 1