Olympus Repair=Black Hole

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by alans, Apr 25, 2013.

1. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Since Olympus is repairing the LED frame crack under warranty I decided to send it in. I called Elizabeth at Oly and she provided me with the address for the repair facility in El Paso. I made sure to insure my shipment and get the tracking number which confirmed that Oly received it 4/5/13.

So a week goes by without an acknowledgement so I call Oly and they say it takes 7-10 days to receive and enter the camera into their system! When I send in to Canon's CPS the whole process takes less than a week!

Second week goes by and I get the same answer. Plus it still does not appear on their online repair search.

This week I call again and tell them to find the camera. They take my number and call me back. They find it and finally enter it into the system with a rush order. Now at least we're getting started.

Today I check the online repair site. "Waiting for parts. On order".

So even with their rush order the repair for the LED crack is going to take me at least 4 weeks. The one thing I'm glad about is that I had tracking to prove that they received it. Otherwise who knows?

Hopefully this journey has an end and I'll let you know of the outcome. Fortunately I have other cameras to shoot:)

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    A good reason to superglue the LCD frame if you can prevent the glue from affecting other parts in the assembly.

3. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I have nothing but goods thing to say about Oly USA repair. I sent in an fl-600r and they fixed it under warranty and I had it back in a week. I sent my E-M5 in for the screen crack and to be cleaned. They did that and even replaced my broken viewfinder cup for free. I had the E-M5 back in a week also. Communication was great for it all.

Sorry you had issues.

Just a hobbyist.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The rear control dial on my E-PL5 is acting erratic. I decide to get it fixed. I find this page on the Olympus US web site: Quick Repair Service

It's only about 25 minutes from where I work and I get to show a live person what's wrong. I call the local phone number for the facility to make sure it's still in operation. The person that answers the phone doesn't seem too sure where Long Island even is, but assures me I can bring the camera in. When I get there there is a big sign saying that the service center is closed. When I get back to the office I call back and ask to speak to someone who actually works at Olympus USA and know what's going on. No way! Customers are not permitted to speak to Olympus employees in their own country. I'm put on hold while my helper finds out the real deal. They do get back to me and, yep the service center is now closed, send the camera to Texas.

Right. They don't even know where their functioning service centers are, why do I think they'll be able fix cameras. Even if their service isn't great, Nikon at least knows where their service centers are, and it's a much shorter drive to Melville for me.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    My Oly 45mm was sent in for repair. Who knows when I'll get it back.

6. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    What is even worse is trying to find a retailer. Dump in your zip code and see all the Wally Worlds, Staples, and Sears that show up. My good camera store that carries doesn't show up at all.

7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    For reasons only Olympus knows, cameras are no longer being repaired in the Hauppauge facility. Olympus should be informed of the growing pains inflicted on customers. They need to get this right; at least as right as Canon does it.

8. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    In the US, Olympus became know as a P&S camera maker not long after they stopped selling OM cameras. I don't think Olympus US understands, or knows how to deal with, enthusiast photographers. To them it's all consumer electronic gadgets. Probably a contributing factor to ยต4/3 having a hard time gaining traction in North America.

9. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@

Likely they outsource the support stuff to another company. Having worked in support organizations most of my life, I can tell you... the people answering the calls are usually NOT trained for SPIT on the things they are supposed to be supporting. The poor schlub on the other end of the phone is the one getting the shaft from both ends.

10. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    not sure if it was the same person but Elizabeth was very helpful resolving my battery ordering issue last year. anyway, carry on...

11. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    How is it going now?

12. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    I had a very positive experience with Oly repair about 2 months back.

The USPS signature required package reached them at 11am EST and I had an email acknowledgement around 1:30pm the same day. I got a status update the next day and the stuff was repaired under warranty and shipped back the next. They even replaced the lost rubber eye cup on the OM-D.

The most painful part was waiting 7 days for UPS ground to show up.

If they have closed the Hauppauge facility, I hope this is just a case of things being in transition. The getolympus web site still says the support location is Hauppauge.

13. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Update:
    It's been a month and they changed my status from "waiting for parts" to "in repair". However they went backwards and are using April 19 as the repair date.

Elizabeth is very helpful. When this repair odyssey is over, I'll tell her about it. Perhaps I'll mention that I have been happily been shooting with Canon and Panasonic;)

14. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I made a point of calling the phone number with the Hauppauge area code, and found out that civilians can't call Olympus US from the US.

15. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    So you have to be a military member? Tell them you are Capt Smith of the US Army.

16. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Shipped Friday, 5/3/13.
    Funny, Oly tells me to ship to the El Paso repair facility. A month later it ships out from the East coast(from UPS tracking). El Paso must have moved!

17. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    Not uncommon
    sent a canon repair to VA, came back from CA (within a week)

18. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Looking forward to the update on the final result of the repair.

19. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013

lol, good one.

20. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    The e-m5 is back from it's voyage!

The e-m5 magically reappears from olyusa!

Along with replacing the "cover monitor front" the "Explanation of Repairs" includes:
    "A complete repair and return all functions to factory specs.
    Auto focus test, check, recalibration and realignment.
    Complete cleaning (internal-external)"

Well packed
    em5_1.

Gift wrapped
    em5_2.

Job well done
    em5_3.