Olympus registers new PEN (CONFIRMED E-PL9)

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Really? Bizarre to be launching another evf-less m43 camera in 2018. Probably another 16Mp job too.

Where the hell is the E-M1ii firmware upgrade we've been promised?
Was there such a promise?

Artaius

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
/jamesartaius
Images leaked by Nokishita.

It's retained the aesthetic of the E-PL8, which is a shame to me personally as I thought the E-PL7 was a much prettier design. However, brown now seems to be a standard colourway.

In more practical terms it also has a pop-up flash, so this is now effectively an E-P5 with a selfie screen and without a second dial.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

【噂】オリンパスの「E-PL9」の画像|軒下デジカメ情報局

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
So... This isn't a camera for you.

For Olympus this is a new product they can assemble from already established parts and pieces with a new software that doesn't require heavy investment in R&D and retooling manufacturing.
In the context of the Olympus lineup, I'm not sure what else people were expecting. When only the flagship OM-D and PEN cameras have 20MP sensors, it's not realistic to expect the bottom-rung model to have one.

It's like the E-M10iii all over again, with people expecting 20MP, phase detect and all kinds of other craziness... it was just never going to happen. Entry level models get entry level specs, and in Olympus terms we all know what that means.
I know I'm being really negative about this camera, but for goodness sake it's 2018 and this is just a rehash of technology that Olympus introduced in the E-M5 back in 2012. The low end of the market is flooded with 20Mp 1" sensor cameras that deliver very good IQ and Fuji will sell you a 24Mp APSC ILC camera with twin dials for pretty much the same money (XA3). Hell, YI sell a 20Mp m43 camera for peanuts.

I'm sorry but this is such a pathetic camera release that it's laughable. Olympus can do so much better than this.

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Who would buy this over a Panasonic GX85? Presumably it will even be more expensive...

But then, I guess they wouldn't make these if no one was buying them.

Kusamura

Mu-43 Rookie
Maybe people who don't understand cameras?
That's rather condescending and arrogant.

Simply, this camera isn't designed for you. it's aimed primarily at a segment of the Japanese and wider Asian market known in Japan as the camera joshi, lit. 'camera girl'. This is a widely-known term in Japan; used by the casual consumer not only camera marketing people.

And Olympus is continuing to sell decent numbers of the E-PL series to this segment (look at the recent news that Oly has once again topped domestic mirrorless sales figures: those aren't all OM-Ds you know).

So really, for Oly any additional E-PL units that it can sell in the US and European territories are just a bonus on top of above-mentioned market.

I'm not the target customer for this camera either, but feel no need to bemoan its existence for those that it will suit.

One thing does sadden me though: it's seemingly the first Pen to lose the accessory port enabling EVF use. Understandable on the OM-Ds but a shame here, even if Olympus figures that the camera joshi are largely happy composing on the rear screen. I guess the OM-D series then becomes the upgrade path should they want to begin using a viewfinder.

Artaius

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
/jamesartaius
Who would buy this over a Panasonic GX85? Presumably it will even be more expensive...
Maybe people who don't understand cameras?
Well me, for one, and I think I understand cameras pretty well.

I've no interest in the GX85 because I'm not a fan of Panasonic aesthetics or ergonomics, but more importantly it's the compact form factor that I want – the GX85 is a tad larger than the E-PLs. And it doesn't have the selfie screen, which silly or not is a thing for me.

I have my PEN-F and E-M5ii for when I want to lug about a bulkier body for commissions or more serious shooting. The E-PLs, for me, are my streetbag-sized, go-everywhere, use-instead-of-my-phone camera bodies so I can get good snaps on the go and enough quality should I snap something publication-worthy... and without worrying about my main cameras getting banged up or nicked (my E-PL7 travels with me everywhere, from a groceries trip to a fortnight in India).

This line affords me everything I need, without unrealistic expectations given the Olympus/M43 ecosystem. If we're really going to argue about sensor sizes in 2018, then in theory none of us should even be on this forum because we should all be shooting 35mm equivalent or medium format.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I really don't mind the low-end churn refreshing that Olympus does at the bottom without making the cameras substantially better. That sort of thing has allowed me to recently pick up a clean used E-P5 for $185 and a clean used E-PL7 for $150 (went without an EVF since the PL5 I was upgrading from already had a good VF2). And really, now, if you compare the feature sets of these cameras, they are really over 90% of the capability of the current lineup (excluding the E-M1 mk ii) at 20% of the cost.

And to my surprise, and only enabled by those dirt-cheap 2nd hand prices, I find that other than when using flash, I like the E-PL7 better than the E-P5 due to it's smaller size/weight and better grip ergonomics.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I guess camera ergonomics are subjective. My mother’s epl7 was an ergonomic nightmare. She has upgraded to a GX85 now.

But if in your hands it feels the other way round than more power to you.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I guess camera ergonomics are subjective. My mother’s epl7 was an ergonomic nightmare. She has upgraded to a GX85 now.

But if in your hands it feels the other way round than more power to you.
I get that, but, first of all, I was coming from an E-PL5. The E-PL7 layout is very similar, with slightly improved dials and similar ability to customize, so it has a familiarity advantage for me. And 2nd, I find the E-P5 grip to be too small and shallow for the weight of the camera body, whereas the the lighter body of the PL7 makes it less of an issue for the same shape grip. Although, frankly, BOTH the E-PL7 and E-P5 would be better served with a larger grip that protrudes out more and gives the right hand a better ability to hook and anchor. None of these cameras is close to ideal ergonomically - but I had spent considerable time and effort customizing and getting acclimatized to the E-PL5 and this customizing and muscle memory almost completely transferred to the E-PL7.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's rather condescending and arrogant
Actually, it's not. Looks like they've taken a leaf out of Canons book. How to sell old tech to the dumb masses. Look at the 200D, & EOSM range for example. And the 6D, which actually went backwards, if you bring image quality into it.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Really? Bizarre to be launching another evf-less m43 camera in 2018. ?
Why is it bizzare? Lots of people, especially at the entry level, couldn't care less about viewfinders. And they have 4 other current models with a viewfinder.

Lack of a second dial is a major fail if they want to target serious photographers with it.
It's an E-PL model.

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
So cool if they build the flash in again like E-PL1. And hopefully it tips back to bounce off ceiling like the E-PL1 too. While I didn’t use it often, I did use it enough with high ISO’s and artsy B&W. The built-in flash was so much nicer than the little units you have to attach - even my E-M1 was supplied with one of those. I just never use them. Being I skipped the 7 and 8, I’ll have an interest in this one.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
There's nothing with releasing a model like this, except that without the wow factor people lose interests fast, even for an entry level camera. Remember the days when most of the popular cellphones sold were equiped with QVGA (240*320) screens? Yes, I'm talking about Nokia, everyone around me back then had a Nokia and it was like we knew our next purchase would still be a Nokia with the QVGA screen, because why do you ever think you should want your cellphone to do what your computer does and nobody makes better phones and even if someone does, it'll be expensive and not pratical. And the rest is history.

So instead of saying the model is good enough for entry level market, I'd say why can't Olympus do better than the lowest expectations?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
There's nothing with releasing a model like this, except that without the wow factor people lose interests fast, even for an entry level camera. Remember the days when most of the popular cellphones sold were equiped with QVGA (240*320) screens? Yes, I'm talking about Nokia, everyone around me back then had a Nokia and it was like we knew our next purchase would still be a Nokia with the QVGA screen, because why do you ever think you should want your cellphone to do what your computer does and nobody makes better phones and even if someone does, it'll be expensive and not pratical. And the rest is history.

So instead of saying the model is good enough for entry level market, I'd say why can't Olympus do better than the lowest expectations?
Except with limited resources, they would concentrate their efforts on the flagship OM-Ds and PEN-F types.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Except with limited resources, they would concentrate their efforts on the flagship OM-Ds and PEN-F types.
True, but what would the incremental cost be (either development or production) to have put the 20Mp sensor into it? I realise that the IQ difference is minimal, and perhaps irrelevant for the target market, but it's a matter of perception as much as reality.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
True, but what would the incremental cost be (either development or production) to have put the 20Mp sensor into it? I realise that the IQ difference is minimal, and perhaps irrelevant for the target market, but it's a matter of perception as much as reality.
giving the customers more than what they expected while not actually adding much more to the cost, people will get crazy about it. m43 has been the underdog, the rebel, people buy into this system and want to feel being different in a good way, so give them that. these days m43 cameras focus fastest--no more, are the most mature with cheaper but great lenses--no more, have the greatest features--no more, I'm not saying it's bad, but m43 used to be and needs to be the rebel, the challenger.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom