Olympus registers ‘IM015’a mystery new camera

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I was chatting to a friend last night who was very excited about the prospect of the RP... Except the sticker price of the R lenses/adapter put a stop to that.

The body is small fry compared to lenses, as it always has been. My now 'ancient' E-M1 is working just fine with the latest and greatest m4/3 lenses from Panasonic, Sigma, etc, and is probably valued at less than most of them.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I'm feeling very pessimistic on m43 after the X-T30 (and even the RP). It's becoming very niche, and likely very expensive. I am very curious if they can really get new customers on board. I have an army of lenses I don't want to abandon, so they sorta have me. But I can still feel disappointed about it all, heh. Ok, jumping the gun a bit, but that X-T30 at $900 seems like a hard competitor to fight.
I actually don't see how the X-T30 really changes things materially compared to the X-T20 before it. The pros and cons are all exactly the same as they were before.

And the A6400 actually seems like a better camera than the X-T30 in any case...

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I actually don't see how the X-T30 really changes things materially compared to the X-T20 before it. The pros and cons are all exactly the same as they were before.

And the A6400 actually seems like a better camera than the X-T30 in any case...
Honestly, I thought that was a good camera, too. It was more they seem to be on point with what they're releasing (and yes, A6400 looks interesting as well, but I lean to fuji since they have lenses I'd get). E-M10mkIII felt like a sidestep at best (personally, I'd pick the mkII) . E-M1X is going all out (and extremely niche market). Revenue down, longer camera cycles (though, I think that's a good thing... if they can pull it off).

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Personally, I'm really looking forward to the EM5.3. I don't need a new m43 camera, but I've always preferred the form factor of the "5" version over the "1" and if they build in some of the stacking features from the EM1x (HHHR and Live ND) then I'll find it hard not to buy one. However, PDAF would have to be there.

If there were a new sensor with improved DR and ISO performance then I'd be first in the queue with my pre order.

The Fuji XT whatever is not at all interesting to me. I don't like the handling, I don't like xtrans and I don't like the cost of building a lens system. On top of that, the sensor is only about 1 stop ahead of m43. If another system was on my horizon, it would have to be FF, or even the Fuji GFX.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
If the E-M1X didn't get a brand new sensor, I can't see the E-M5 MkIII getting one this soon after. HHHR is also unlikely, since Olympus has said repeatedly that it requires dual processors. I am expecting an E-M1 MkII in a slightly smaller body, assuming Olympus does choose to add PDAF to the E-M5 line (which I agree they really should). I expect it will be similar to how the E-M5 MkII was to the E-M1... very few differences and just about the same price.

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
I was chatting to a friend last night who was very excited about the prospect of the RP... Except the sticker price of the R lenses/adapter put a stop to that.
I don't get it. Wasn't RP (body only) supposed to be sold with an adapter so that it was designed for an owner of an existing mid/low-tier DSLR

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
I'm guessing it is the Em5.3. It's been a long time coming... 20MP. Hopefully as much of the E-m1 as you can fit into the E-M5.

I'd go for the silver colour this time....

Johna

Mu-43 Regular
The PEN F may have been discontinued but it is still full price, at least here in the UK, it,s a lovely looking camera that I would like but it,s too expensive for me. Iv,e worked in an artists studio for four summers here in the Isles of Scilly, in that time NO 43 cameras were brought in by visitors, a great many only use phone cameras and the most popular camera was or is, is Canon. Olympus have to try to advertise more to the general public, us converted can,t support the company.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, she got put off by the price of body plus adapter... Admittedly the price of an E-M1 Mk2 body only would be just as bad.
Isn't canon running through promo to include the adapter and an extension grip for the first few months? Not to discount the expensive R lenses, but this is why I thought Canon would still sell a ton.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Isn't canon running through promo to include the adapter and an extension grip for the first few months? Not to discount the expensive R lenses, but this is why I thought Canon would still sell a ton.
It's with a battery and adapter... But yes. Still, unless you have a ton of EF glass to adapt (she doesn't), it's still 2500 NZD without lenses.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I think in today's sales climate, Olympus is caught between a rock and a hard place with the E-M5iii. With the Fuji XT-3 priced @$1499 ($1399 on sale) on the higher end and Fuji XT-30 @$899 on the lower end and then you can get a used E-M1 ii for like between $900 to $1000 US. Very tough call indeed!
I agree. The competitive landscape has changed a lot in the past four years. It will be interesting to see how Olympus adapts moving forward.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Along with others here I feel that on sensor PDAF for the next gen EM5 and PENF (if there is to be such a thing) is an absolute pre requisite for maintaining a reasonable level of sales against the current competition including the XT30. If that doesn't transpire then I think Olympus is going to lose a lot of ground to other systems- perhaps deservedly so if it doesn't step up with available focussing tech to compete. I think users here may turn away if unnecessary cost cutting dumbs down the next line

Latest threads

Top Bottom