Olympus registers ‘IM015’a mystery new camera

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
It could also be the PEN-F Mark II, because it recently got discontinued while the E-M5II is still current. But if it's E-M5 Mark III; well then bring it on!
Either way, bring it on. Both cameras are desperately in need for an upgrade and the Pen-F has also lost all it's competitors.

If it gets weather sealing and a nicer EVF (on par with the GX8 or better) that would be very nice.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I suspect it will be the E-M5 III (even Imaging Resources which this photo came from is asking Oly for this) with the price tag similar to the XT-30. If it is, well then I can finally retire my old E-P5. Hoping they keep the old BLN-1 battery. :)

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I suspect it will be the E-M5 III with the price tag similar to the XT-30.
The E-M5 II was launched four years ago at $1,100. You think that Olympus will give us a newer camera (requiring new tooling i.e. capital investment), a 20MP sensor (presumably more costly than a 16MP sensor), weather sealing, and IBIS, all while pricing the camera 20% less than the previous model?

I don't really see that being feasible (but I'd love to be proven wrong). I would expect this camera to come in at $1299 or $1399 given that it includes all of the latest m43 tech, but maybe Olympus has had to rethink their pricing based on pressure from competing systems.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
The E-M5 II was launched four years ago at $1,100. You think that Olympus will give us a newer camera (requiring new tooling i.e. capital investment), a 20MP sensor (presumably more costly than a 16MP sensor), weather sealing, and IBIS, all while pricing the camera 20% less than the previous model?

I don't really see that being feasible (but I'd love to be proven wrong). I would expect this camera to come in at $1299 or $1399 given that it includes all of the latest m43 tech, but maybe Olympus has had to rethink their pricing based on pressure from competing systems.
Eh, it really depends.

The G85 is functionally identical to the E-M5 II in terms of internals, feature-set, and build, and it was released (body only) at the $900 price point.

So it really depends on market positioning and some high-level strategic choices for the product line that lead to modest adjustments to the specific component choices.

I'm also not sure the 20MP sensor costs meaningfully more than the 16MP sensor. It's newer, but both Panasonic and Olympus likely have large purchase commitments that they have not yet filled due to shrinking sales on key models (i.e. if the G9 didn't meet sales expectations, Panasonic still needs to buy all those Sony IMX272 sensors they promised to buy and put them in a camera). This inventory backlog is also, no doubt, a huge part of why the 16MP zombie sensor has ended up in some many cameras - they don't want to completely take an accounting bath on the unused components.

In any case, depending on how Olympus wanted to move it, they could easily sell an E-M5 III at either the $900 or $1300 price point. It would just take a bit of paying attention to which way the market winds are blowing, and where they feel like they could be most profitable.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
That camera was released last year.
Oh I lost track then it will be the 10 or 11. Seriously though if Olympus keep the exact body from the 5 mk2 but put a 20mp sensor plus suporting stuff that could help reduce cost? I would like to see a Pen F mk2 to drive costs down.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Eh, it really depends.

The G85 is functionally identical to the E-M5 II in terms of internals, feature-set, and build, and it was released (body only) at the $900 price point.

So it really depends on market positioning and some high-level strategic choices for the product line that lead to modest adjustments to the specific component choices.
I agree, Panasonic seems to have better pricing regarding similarly spec'd cameras.

IMO, the E-M5 III would be closest to the GX9 from Panasonic. The GX9 is $1,000 (with the weather sealed 12-60 kit lens), and lacks the larger EVF and weather sealing that the E-M5 III would have, along with other software features (hi-res, Live Comp/Time/Bulb, plus any new features Olympus may choose to include i.e. LiveND or HHHR).

Like you, I could see Olympus launching an E-M5 III at $999, but I could also see them launching it at $1,299. Either way, this is a camera that Olympus really needs IMO.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Regardless of what it is, they need a 'big hit' to turn that big red number (120million USD loss for FY2019-projected) to black.
I don't know whether it was FY2018 or FY2019, but Oly was incurring some huge one-time restructuring costs associated with relocating their manufacturing, so even just a "business as usual" scenario will likely look better for the future.

If 2019 or 2020 looks significantly better than the preceding year, I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to significant product successes.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
Olympus is already projecting large losses for their imaging business over the next 2-3 years. Olympus is projecting a continued slow down in the ILC sector and new models will not reverse this. I expect the E-M5iii to come in around $1,299 with the E-M1ii sensor and PDAF. Specs should be very similar to the E-M1ii with maybe a bit less effective IBIS.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
I don't know whether it was FY2018 or FY2019, but Oly was incurring some huge one-time restructuring costs associated with relocating their manufacturing, so even just a "business as usual" scenario will likely look better for the future.

If 2019 or 2020 looks significantly better than the preceding year, I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to significant product successes.
A few weeks ago, I reviewed all the Olympus investor disclosure statements from 2017 to current, and compared the numbers of operational profit/loss on YoY basis (Only Imaging Business). Here's what I found: negative number is loss; unit is x100million yen = roughly 0.9 million USD
2017Q1 -3
2017Q2 -14
2017Q3 22
2017Q4 -7
2018Q1 9
2018Q2 7
2018Q3 -1
2018Q4 -27 (+3, if restructuring cost is not incurred)
2019Q1 -58
2019Q2 -34
2019Q3 -39

As you can see, the loss became big numbers in 2018Q4 and kept big until current. Actually they seem to keep posting the 'one time loss' (cost to shut down China factory) over 5 quarters at least. If they don't have those 'cost to shut down China factory', how much they have profit or loss is not known. In one quarter (2018Q4) statement, they say 'Imaging division made 300 million yen profit if the restructuring cost was not incurred'. We don't know Imaging division was profitable or not, at least for the last three quarters.

You may be right, 2019Q4 could be the last quarter to incur the restructuring cost, but Imaging division has approximately 4300 employees, and they need sustainable profit anyway.

Good thing is, under CEO Sasa's tenure, Olympus sees the imaging division as a core 'R&D' division that provides new technology to Medical division, which is the profit driver. With his vision, the loss of Imaging division may be small, but the restructuring to streamline product portfolio, and focus on high-end product may be inevitable.

edit: Sorry, the conversion from Japanese yen to USD was wrong.

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Whatever model it replaces. It has to be better, it must be an improvement. Even better value and specs than a Panasonic model.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David

I think in today's sales climate, Olympus is caught between a rock and a hard place with the E-M5iii. With the Fuji XT-3 priced @$1499 ($1399 on sale) on the higher end and Fuji XT-30 @$899 on the lower end and then you can get a used E-M1 ii for like between $900 to $1000 US. Very tough call indeed!

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm feeling very pessimistic on m43 after the X-T30 (and even the RP). It's becoming very niche, and likely very expensive. I am very curious if they can really get new customers on board. I have an army of lenses I don't want to abandon, so they sorta have me. But I can still feel disappointed about it all, heh. Ok, jumping the gun a bit, but that X-T30 at $900 seems like a hard competitor to fight.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom