Olympus registered a new camera today....

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
A couple of months ago I read that Olympus had sent E-M10IVs to certain people for testing. It had a new sensor and the hated (IMO) swivel screen but the rumor also said it was to be released in autumn 2020. I wonder if they got the time wrong or could it actually be E-M1III already? I seriously doubt the E-M1 option and would put my money on Pen-FII instead if I had to place a bet.

It would be right time for E-M10 IV, but they said they make the cycles longer so.. E-M1 II is great option still and the cycle for it should hint at later in the year at earliest. PEN-F's are almost sold out unlike the others so my bet would be the same by all logical accounts.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Does anyone remember how much E-M10 serie has been "sold out" before releasing a new one? I mean, E-M10 II only just this Black Friday was about 300 euros new.

So I would guess they still have a bigger amount of E-M10 III cameras. Although they have tried to sell it with the free 25mm f/1.8. Still I think it would be odd to release a new one when the two generation old is still in stores and the earlier model hasn't been on big sale (PEN-F hasn't been on sale, but it's almost sold out I think. And totally understandable because it's premium camera with great build quality.)

Dave Black

Mu-43 Regular
My guess is a rangefinder style Pro level weather sealed body to replace Pen F. My reasoning is that with the current 4 year manufacturing cycle the time is right. The Pen F was the camera released after the E-M5.2. The Pen F held its price very well for 4 years, just recently has the price dropped.
Yes, I know that there was an announcement that the Pen F has been discontinued, I am assuming it means the cu6model and not the camera line. A Pen F Pro will kit well with the 12-45/4.0 ultra compact zoom lens. I would expect it to sell for more than the E-M5.3.
Then it could just as easily be the next E-M10 model. I do expect a February announcement just before CP+.

Jeroen81

Mu-43 Regular
Sooner or later Olympus has to update all of there lines with the 20mp pdaf sensor. I suspect this will be the E-M10 Mark IV or the E-PL11. I think the E-M1 Mark III will come when a new more mp sensor is available.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Sooner or later Olympus has to update all of there lines with the 20mp pdaf sensor. I suspect this will be the E-M10 Mark IV or the E-PL11. I think the E-M1 Mark III will come when a new more mp sensor is available.

No way they will put PDAF 20 MP to E-M10 IV or E-PL11 budget models. People would not buy E-M5 III. People expected 20 MP to E-M10 III and look what they got.

But it will likely be the PEN-F 20 MP sensor, or maybe E-M1 I 16 MP PDAF sensor. It would be weird if they have the guts to not improve the sensor this time. What would the improvements be then?

Last edited:

Dave Black

Mu-43 Regular
Maybe it will be an Olympus EE - Fuji XT100 competitor with the 20mp sensor, fixed 17.5mm FL, IBIS, PEN-F creative controls, sized like the GM5
The Russian government permit listed two Kitsap. One with one lens and another with a 2 lens kit. So can not be a compact camera.

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
It's the EM1 Mk III - seeing as Olympus forgot to put the 100mm macro on their lens roadmap they will announce the camera earlier than expected.
Should be released just before the 150-400, both in time for my next June / July Botswana safari in 2020. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Roe

Mu-43 Rookie
So my friends are telling me panasonic is not going to release any new camera models. I would have to look at Olympus again?

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
So my friends are telling me panasonic is not going to release any new camera models. I would have to look at Olympus again?
What features are you hoping that any of these new cameras would have that would make you buy one? Have you got the G9 already?

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I don't want a new 1m3 until I can get a bigger sensor. Better low light focusing would be a big help to my 65 yo eyes as well.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I don't want a new 1m3 until I can get a bigger sensor. Better low light focusing would be a big help to my 65 yo eyes as well.

How does it work to put bigger sensor to m43 format, I don't understand?

They have already said they won't go to FF territory, but focus on their strengths, which is very good plan in my view.

Or do you mean you first buy some brand FF to get bigger sensor, and then buy E-M1 III? :)

Edit. Actually you probably meant more megapixels?

shreebles

Mu-43 Veteran
The Russian government permit listed two Kitsap. One with one lens and another with a 2 lens kit. So can not be a compact camera.
I've seen the E-Pl8 sold as a double lens kit with the 14-42 EZ and 40-150 kit zoom. Maybe it's E-PL 11...

Couldn't it simply be the E-M5 III with the new 12-45 f4 and another kit zoom?

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I've seen the E-Pl8 sold as a double lens kit with the 14-42 EZ and 40-150 kit zoom. Maybe it's E-PL 11...

Couldn't it simply be the E-M5 III with the new 12-45 f4 and another kit zoom?

E-PL10 was released last November, would be weird cycle to have releases in two months time.

Not sure if they need to register the already released E-M5 III as a new camera to get kit lenses out as a package.

Has there been talk about other lenses coming out in the spring other than 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro & 12-45 f/4.0 Pro?

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
A Pen F Pro will kit well with the 12-45/4.0 ultra compact zoom lens.

I don't see Olympus launching a Pen-F successor alongside a zoom lens. Olympus have a pretty straight marketing message with the Pen-F. All Pen-F product imagery is with either the 17mm or 25mm f1.8 primes attached. It's a classic street rangefinder style with a 35mm or 50mm equiv.

Dave Black

Mu-43 Regular
E-PL10 was released last November, would be weird cycle to have releases in two months time.

Not sure if they need to register the already released E-M5 III as a new camera to get kit lenses out as a package.

Has there been talk about other lenses coming out in the spring other than 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro & 12-45 f/4.0 Pro?
In addition to the Russian permit there was a Taiwan Wifi permit for a new camera. So my guess is a new camera is going to be announced in February, just before CP+ camera show. It also fits the time line of releasing 2 camera per year. No idea what is going to be release.

Dave Black

Mu-43 Regular
I don't see Olympus launching a Pen-F successor alongside a zoom lens. Olympus have a pretty straight marketing message with the Pen-F. All Pen-F product imagery is with either the 17mm or 25mm f1.8 primes attached. It's a classic street rangefinder style with a 35mm or 50mm equiv.
I don't have any idea what will be released next. It could be anything from the next E-M10 to the next E-M1, or even a new rangefinder style body with an EVF. If Olympus is now doing a 4 year manufacturing cycle it will be a replacement for the Pen F. The Pen F was the camera that was released after the E-M5.2. Olympus has been stating that they are getting back to what makes MFT different and that is small size. The upcoming 12-45/f4.0 Pro lens is described as being ultra compact. If so I will think (dream) it will be a new rangefinder style pro-level camera body to match perfectly with the upcoming 12-45/f4.0 lens. Just like the Pen F matches up perfectly with the f1.8 Premium lenses.

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
I'm also projecting... but a new Pen body seems like low hanging fruit developmentwise. Olympus would base it off the E-M5iii and change the form factor/viewfinder slightly. It's gets you a few more sales and doesnt cost a lot in the way of resources.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
I'm also projecting... but a new Pen body seems like low hanging fruit developmentwise. Olympus would base it off the E-M5iii and change the form factor/viewfinder slightly. It's gets you a few more sales and doesnt cost a lot in the way of resources.

Yep. They are losing some sales to GX9 for example. Why not make it with tilt-screen as an alternative, street shooters would love it. They don't have tilt-screen in other cameras right now?

E-M10 III is 2 years and 4 months old now. Releasing it soon won't go along the longer cycles statement, but continues earlier cycle with the model.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I think both Olympus and Panasonic are their own worst enemies when it comes to camera sales: they always have something selling at a ridiculous discount. It makes it very difficult for them to sell expensive high-margin cameras, especially when the market is shrinking at a frightening pace.

BTW, I don't see Panasonic abandoning Micro 4/3 any time soon, their L mount cameras are aimed at a completely different audience (not to mention that the system is very barebones at the moment). I just hope they won't relegate flagship features to their FF offerings only.

Latest threads

Top Bottom