Olympus registered a new camera - anyone want to guess?

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
The original Pen-F was not a highend camera (because it has that fully articulating screen amateur nonsense) but they could well remedy this in the version 2 which could sport a tilty screen and be instantly usable by everyone.
Not sure how you figure that? I prefer a tilt screen over articulating, but clearly Olympus reserves tilting for their entry level bodies and articulating for the higher end.
Yeah like you said.

Maybe the real joke here is that people feel a need for Pen-F Mark 2 even when the current one is perfectly ... current.
I'd like a bit of simplification, but Phase AF would be the main upgrade I would like.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Maybe the real joke here is that people feel a need for Pen-F Mark 2 even when the current one is perfectly ... current.

Sure, if there were actually any for sale. While it is still listed on the website as a "current" model, Olympus doesn't actually have any for sale, at least in the U.S.A. they are effectively out of production and not for sale.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Sure, if there were actually any for sale. While it is still listed on the website as a "current" model, Olympus doesn't actually have any for sale, at least in the U.S.A. they are effectively out of production and not for sale.
B&H, Adorama, and Amazon all say they have the black versions in stock.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
B&H, Adorama, and Amazon all say they have the black versions in stock.

Adorama has them marked as "CLOSEOUT". The other two don't, but it doesn't seem that the Pen F is a "current" model if the manufacturer doesn't have any to sell and one of your major resellers has marked them as CLOSEOUT.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Adorama has them marked as "CLOSEOUT". The other two don't, but it doesn't seem that the Pen F is a "current" model if the manufacturer doesn't have any to sell and one of your major resellers has marked them as CLOSEOUT.
It's been that way for what? 2 years? I agree it's not a "current" model. But I've never understood "no longer for sale" when at least the black has been readily available since it was "discontinued".

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I think they will merge the 5 and 10 lines and keep an “affordable” small footprint body for that reason. Heck I’d buy one, but I can’t stand all the different batteries. They really should standardize to one battery.
The current E-M5.3 and EM10.1,.2,.3,.4 take the same battery. So they wouldn't have to merge the two models to standardize on the battery at least on those. I don't think they will merge them, but perhaps, I suppose.

Last edited:

blizzardscout2

New to Mu-43
It would be nice to have a Pen-F with a 23mm fixed similar to the Fuji X100 series. A small but premium package like that would be very desirable to me. I agree that the Pen-F is premium and it would not surprise me at all if it were the next release by Olympus. If they do I most certainly will be picking one up.

DHOC_TAZH

Mu-43 Regular
I think they will merge the 5 and 10 lines and keep an “affordable” small footprint body for that reason. Heck I’d buy one, but I can’t stand all the different batteries. They really should standardize to one battery.

I'd be all for that. It should make all of the future Olympus cameras include weather sealing as a standard feature. Should be across the board if the PEN F is revived.

Arbus33

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Didier
On the French website the PEN-F is no longer listed. It was, as discontinued, a few weeks back. Today all links return 404 page not found.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is just me, and I know I’m wrong but this is what I would release.

new pen (not F), with faster shutter then 4000.
Impossible to take pictures wide open 1.8 in good light with a slow shutter.

Keep the em-10 line, and em-1 line.

So I hope for a small camera with faster then 4000 shutter speed as the next camera

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
No need for a Pen Fii as a happy Pen F owner I appreciate it as a one off. Id like to see the Pen Next. Let the new company release their best shot showing how they intend to make the brand better and move it forward. Obviously doing the same old same old isn't working.

A quickwish list/ideas: Premium build in line with Pen F, EM1x and Em1iii. Killer rear screen and viewfinder. Updated ARM processor with 5g support. Seemless and useful integration with today's smart phones (fast transfer, raw editing and development, app integration, etc). USB C only. More computational photography baked in.

They don't have control over sensors and until there is a new one another EM camera doesn't make sense. I don't want another 'Pro' camera until the tech has really advanced. I want a super high end and current ideas and lifestyle camera.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
This is just me, and I know I’m wrong but this is what I would release.

new pen (not F), with faster shutter then 4000.
Impossible to take pictures wide open 1.8 in good light with a slow shutter.

Keep the em-10 line, and em-1 line.

So I hope for a small camera with faster then 4000 shutter speed as the next camera
The existing Pen-F will go to 1/16000 using e-shutter. And the mechanical shutter goes to 1/8000, not 1/4000.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Just a thought, but we know that E-PL and E-M10 lines are very successful in Japan. We also know that they want to focus on high-end products.

Could they combine these lines with 5-axis IBIS, and the tilting screen that has the ability to take selfies? Make this line a rangefinder style, which is small and capable, and costing maximum 800-1000 €.

Can they chop the entry level totally? Would this be too expensive to be thought as "the new entry level"? Doesn't the new entry level need more difference towards phone cameras?

Just some brainstorming..

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The existing Pen-F will go to 1/16000 using e-shutter. And the mechanical shutter goes to 1/8000, not 1/4000.

Yes, but that one is expensiv AF.

I would like a entry pen, with a faster shutter.
ep-5 epl-5 don’t remember, but something like that was faster then 4000.
Give me a pen like that, not a pen costing 1100-1300 $ on release.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom