Olympus registered a new camera - anyone want to guess?

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I don’t think they’ll ever make another Pen. They’ve clearly stated they are going all-in on high-end.
Remember the "F" is actually pretty high end, body only was $999 back in 2016, it was also the first Olympus body with a 20mp sensor.

We may never see another E-PL and it wouldn't surprise me to see the E-M5 and E-M10 merged into one offering. My only question about killing the lower is that's their "Olympus #1 in Japan", both the E-M10 and E-PL series are pretty big in Japan.

wonglp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
hoping for Pen F ii / Pen Pro, whichever they call it :dance2:. Although what they need now to raise the bar would be an EM1xII or EM1iv. Chronologically if JIP still follows, it woould be Pen F ii, EM1Xii then EM5iv, Em1iv

Remember the "F" is actually pretty high end, body only was $999 back in 2016, it was also the first Olympus body with a 20mp sensor.

We may never see another E-PL and it wouldn't surprise me to see the E-M5 and E-M10 merged into one offering. My only question about killing the lower is that's their "Olympus #1 in Japan", both the E-M10 and E-PL series are pretty big in Japan.

I think they will merge the 5 and 10 lines and keep an “affordable” small footprint body for that reason. Heck I’d buy one, but I can’t stand all the different batteries. They really should standardize to one battery.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran

That might not be as far fetched as it sounds because Sony is possibly going to launch a 8k FF camera in their rangefinder (aka 6xxx body) lineup above A7C

https://www.eoshd.com/news/next-ful...era-is-a-pocket-cinema-camera-fx3/#more-26457

We already know that Sony 8k MFT sensor has been in mass production since last autumn so this product really exists.

Rumours about 8k MFT censor were leaked out in late 2019 and around Christmas 2019 it was taken for granted that Panasonic GH6 and unnamed Olympus model with this sensor will be launched in early 2020.

At least for me it's clear that if a MFT camera with a new sensor is released in 2021, it will use commercial version of IMX492 (which is listed under Industrial category) and provide 8k video or 41MP still images.

Before the exit decision was made, Olympus engineers were certainly busy working on a continuous roadmap of new camera bodies to be launched in 2020 and 2021. Unlike the published lens roadmap, this was never released so work could have continued on certain model(s) till the handover to JIP.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Options are TG-7, E-M1X II and PEN-F II?

E-PL10 is something like 1 year and 3 months old, and they might be cutting some of the lower end models.

TG-6 is about 1 year and 9 months old and E-M1X is 2 years old, so both could be options.

PEN-F II would be high-end camera like other have said, so would fit their aims in that way.

E-M1X II would fit their aim to have a new sensor first in flagship models, and with the release and demand of the 150-400mm f/4.5 lens.

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
The original Pen-F was not a highend camera (because it has that fully articulating screen amateur nonsense) but they could well remedy this in the version 2 which could sport a tilty screen and be instantly usable by everyone.

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
The original Pen-F was not a highend camera (because it has that fully articulating screen amateur nonsense) but they could well remedy this in the version 2 which could sport a tilty screen and be instantly usable by everyone.

Hmmm.....tell us how you really feel about a fully articulating screen! I never thought of that as being crucial factor to determining whether a camera was high-end. Although I learned the hard way about a fully articulating screen being vulnerable to damage if your camera mounted on a tripod takes a fall, I find the fully articulating screen on my E M5 Mark II to be very useful at times when working with my camera on a tripod. After years of working with just the tilt screens on the E M10 (original and Mark II), I would prefer the fully articulating screen on any camera I would own. And, I am just an amateur! But....different jokes for different folks!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom