1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Refurbished...After 2 bad E-10's, should I trust them or give up?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by frank2001, Dec 26, 2015.

1. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    I purchased a Refurbished OM D E-10 directly from Olympus.
    The IS did not work.
    They were very quick to send a replacement, but the Auto White Balance is off as well as the wi-fi will not work on the 2nd camera.
    I have purchased refurbished cameras from Canon with no such issues.
    I am very hesitant to try again since, unlike Canon's one year warranty, Olympus only offers 90 days.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks,

2. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I purchased a used EM10 from Adorama about 6 months ago for $350 (including a second battery). Because it had their higher condition rating I got a 6 month warranty. When I had an issue, I sent it back for repair and was satisfied that they repaired under warranty and paid shipping both ways. I would buy used from them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    How significant are the savings? You can find almost new E-M10 bodies on Amazon right now for $ 325-340 range.

4. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    I have had very good luck with used from Adorama.

5. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    They had a one day code for 15% off, so I paid $320 + tax for a body and kit lens

6. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    That is a very good price for body + kit lens. Almost makes you want to give one more chance to Olympus. I hope they are covering shipping expenses.

7. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I'm about to receive my 3rd refurbished EM1 from Olympus. The first had a strange scrambled section in EVF and lcd appear, the second had EVF bleeding. I pushed for and got a free 2 year Olympus warranty with the one that will hopefully be here Monday. You should be able to push for the warranty as well

8. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Cool! Worth a try. Thanks!

9. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    While I have enjoyed my two E-M10’s and E-M5. I have had more trouble with these cameras than any other I have ever owned. In fact just before I started writing this I checked the Olympus repair WEB site to see if there has been any progress on my Black E-M10 they have in for repair. I was on vacation with it earlier in December when it just quit working. I shut the camera off and when I turned it back on the shutter made a strange noise and when I took the lens off I saw it was stuck closed. That camera was originally exchanged by Best Buy after the very first one stopped working after 6 days. In addition, of the four photo forums I monitor, without a doubt, the Olympus board has more threads devoted to camera defects. I don’t know if that indicates there are more issues with Olympus cameras or members of this community air their grievances more about them. I am cautiously optimistic about the quality of the Olympus line.

10. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    God information!
    Thank you!
    As I think more about it, even if I get them to extend the warranty, I don't want to deal with repairs.
    Years ago I had a Panasonic G1 and then a GH1
    Anyone have any experience with the Panasonic G6?

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I haven't used it, but by all accounts the G6 is a decent camera, especially if you like the mini-DSLR style.

However, it uses the older Panasonic 16MP sensor, same as the one in GX1. The price for a GX7 seems to be in a similar ballpark as the G6, but it has a newer sensor and IBIS, so it matches up with the E-M10 much more closely.

12. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thanks, I will do some more checking into the G7.

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The G7 is a newer model and has several advantages over the GX7 (4K video / 4K Photo, as well as more advanced autofocus and tracking), but it's still a current model and a lot more expensive. The GX7 that I was referring to is older, and available for very good prices on the used market. It's a real bargain, in my opinion, and a very nice camera to use.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    As I have been looking at the E-M10 this is a comment I have seen pop up more than I would have expected.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  15. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Not interested in 4K Video. I will check out the GX7

16. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thanks to Turbofrog.
    I spent some time researching the, recommended, GX7 and it seems to be exactly what I am looking for.
    For anyone else who is looking:
    Adorama has their Demo models on sale for $449. I just ordered one. I have never had any problems with Adorama.
    One question, I have an Olympus 40-150mm lens. Will the IBIS work well on that lens?

17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For still photos, yes. Every lens, even manual and adapted ones, can use the IBIS.

One bummer about Panasonic models with IBIS, is that it doesn't work for video. So you will not get IBIS during video recording with ANY lens on a Panasonic. If you plan to record video with the 40-150, I would trade it for a Panasonic lens with OIS. I Love my GX7 except for this one caveat.

18. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thanks. I don't do much video and the kit lens will serve me well on what I do. I purchased the Olympus 40-150mm since it got good reviews and was cheap. I could still return it but, I also got the Macro adapter. I am hoping it works as a dual purpose since it is much less money than a true Macro lens and Macro is just a rare occasion type of photography for me.

19. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    Atlanta