Olympus Raw Files Imported Into Lightroom Vers. 6

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by larryis1, Apr 22, 2015.

1. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    This is my first experience with LR6 + the OM E-M5 II raw ORF file import. When importing ORF into LR it changes the files to DNG. Is this normal? Is there anyway to preserve the original ORF file extension?

Regards, Larry

2. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    I am not a LR expert. But, perhaps in the import process, are you accidentally selecting 'copy as DNG' from the top menu bar rather than 'add'?

3. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you, you hit the nail on the head... that was what I was doing... I changed to "copy"
    Thanks,
    Larry

4. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    I usually copy to DNG on purpose. It is a a more portable format with an open spec (even if it was invented by Adobe). The only downside of DNG that I see is that if you process your raw with something other than LR (such as captureOne), you seem to lose some of the abilities of the other RAW processor (at least according to some posts I read). I only use lightroom, so it does not really matter. There is an option to convert to DNG, and embed the original RAW, but it takes up twice as much space.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    What w0den said. DNG I hear takes about 15% less disk space, but I can't confirm that.

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    maybe due to lack of embedded jpg?

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Don't know jyc. That was 15% less than RAW.