Olympus raising PRO lens prices February 1, 2020.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just got the email from them on the price hike on their PRO lenses. These were from the email I got:

7-14mm f/2.8 Pro goes up to $1,399.99
17mm f/1.2 Pro $1,299.99
25mm f/1.2 Pro $1,299.99
45mm f/1.2 Pro $1,299.99
300mm f/4 Pro $2,899.99

The 300mm seems to be the biggest jump. Their website still shows the retail at $2,499.99, but sounds like they are going to be closer to $2,900 on Feb. 1 if their email is correct. Might be they are preparing for the large price of the 150-400m f/4.5 which is who knows what.

I'm missing the 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro and shows it hitting $999.99 on their website. On sale for $849.99 now. I dunno...

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
The 12-40mm is on the getolympus refurbished site for $680 if you are into that type thing... I have had good luck there

Dogbert62

I suppose used prices will also trend upwards if these price increases stick. Thankfully the 40-150 Pro seems to have been spared, because I’d like to pick one up later this year.

I’m somewhat tempted to buy a used 300mm now and plan to sell it in a year. Not that I would expect to make money but the small depreciation might be worth the fun. At $2900 I’ll never put my hands on one.

Funny that they did a massive sale from black friday to end of December with 400€ off their Pro lenses... just to increase the price now.
I tried to buy the 25 f/1.2 at 600€ but got (twice) a defective copy. I wonder if it's bad luck or if they were selling the defective ones.

Given the price increase, I'd probably won't try to buy one of the Pro lenses again...

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Funny that they did a massive sale from black friday to end of December with 400€ off their Pro lenses... just to increase the price now.
I tried to buy the 25 f/1.2 at 600€ but got (twice) a defective copy. I wonder if it's bad luck or if they were selling the defective ones.

Given the price increase, I'd probably won't try to buy one of the Pro lenses again...
I think Olympus is going to be using frequent rotating sales to move product; the higher prices will be MSRP but purchase prices will vary all over the place to entice new customers to buy the bodies and lower line lenses and current customers to upgrade bodies and lenses.
In the pre-internet days of camera equipment retail marketing, MSRP was only a suggestion; actual selling prices were substantially less and annual or seasonal sales were pretty much the norm.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm waiting for the next 20% off refurb, to get a 40-150/2.8.
I've been hemming and hawing for too long, and decided to just get the lens.
I probably won't be able to afford the upgraded "40-150/2.8 with Sync-IS" anyway.

Maybe someone has one for sale at a good price :biggrin:

Good thing we got ebay
I'm waiting for the next 20% off refurb, to get a 40-150/2.8.
I've been hemming and hawing for too long, and decided to just get the lens.
I probably won't be able to afford the upgraded "40-150/2.8 with Sync-IS" anyway.

Maybe someone has one for sale at a good price :biggrin:
I got mine brand new on eBay through one of the Hong Kong sellers back in 2017. Got it for hundreds off retail. Maybe you can give that a try.

I think Olympus is going to be using frequent rotating sales to move product; the higher prices will be MSRP but purchase prices will vary all over the place to entice new customers to buy the bodies and lower line lenses and current customers to upgrade bodies and lenses.
In the pre-internet days of camera equipment retail marketing, MSRP was only a suggestion; actual selling prices were substantially less and annual or seasonal sales were pretty much the norm.
Yes, for Olympus it's kind of extreme...
There are periods of the year with huge cashbacks (1/3 of the price), other periods with very high prices.
Personnally, when I saw a lens at 600€ even on olympus website, I don't want to buy it at 1200€ later.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just got a B&H Photo Payboo card today to eat the 10% sales tax, providing I pay it off in 21 days and not get stuck with a 29.99% interest rate on it which would negate that and then some.

I needed to complete my "Holy Trinity" on Olympus Pro zoom lenses. I have their 7-14 f/2.8 PRO and the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO. Decided to use the Payboo card and get the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO to complete the Olympus "Holy Trinity" set before they raise the prices. Fwiw, Nikon calls their "Holy Trinity" their 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, and the 70-200mm f/2.8 so the Olympus set is pretty much the same in zoom focal range equivalency.

Maybe I saved $200 or more by jumping in on it before Feb 1. We'll see when they do their raise.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yep, the 300mm f/4 went up $400 to $2,899.

I did get their 12-40mm f/2.8 lens. Came out to $849 using the B&H Photo Payboo card (Retail was $999.). Saved me around $250 as it was on sale and they pay the 10% sales tax immediately off the receipt providing I pay it off within 21 days. Fwiw, I printed out their Synchrony Banks "My Account Activity" page and sent in a check paying it in full in case they bill late and it has to hit them within 21 days or get hit with a 29.99% interest fee. I don't trust the US Mail across country to get their statement (Could be slow going out?) to me and back within their narrow 21 day window. Only option to pay them online is using your checking or savings account routing number and not another credit card. Didn't like that idea being directly tied to the checking account, or maybe waiting for a late statement, so I sent them a personal check paid in full early. Still pretty good discount ($250) with the Olympus lens sale price and no 10% sales tax both.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom