Olympus R Lens Build Quality

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Benzy, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I just received the Olympus 40-150mm 4.0-5.6 R lens and am a bit put off by the build quality compared to the low end Lumix lenses. The build quality is acceptable for the price and considering the optics its a screaming deal. But I was thinking of checking out more of the R series lenses, such as the kit 14-42 and the pancake and would rather avoid stocking my arsenal with lenses that appear so fragile.

Is the build of the 40-150 representative of this series, or can I expect the other lenses to be a bit more high end feeling?
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I'd say the 14-42r is similar to the 40-150r, just much smaller. I've never personally had any issues with olympus build quality though. They definitely have higher end materials in the higher end lenses though, but unless you are dropping your equipment, it's not an issue. Some might appreciate the lightness and cheap price. The 75mm for example is heavy and metal, but frankly, the extra mass would concern me more dropping or banging this around than a cheap plastic zoom lens. Of course, it would be more painful to my wallet too.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I personally couldn't stand mounting Oly's poorly designed kit lenses on their well designed stylish cameras. E.g., putting that collapsable 14-42R on all metal silver E-M10?? Thanks, but no thanks. While 40-150 has great optical qualities, it feels even cheaper than its typical $100 sale price. I've never seen a Panasonic lens that felt as cheap. Look at their equivalents and they look and feel nicer. I recently acquired Oly 9-18 which looks like a kit lens buy it is actually more solid with metal mount and tight tolerances.
    If I want a kit lens, I'd be looking at Panasonic 14-42 II with metal mount and OIS: beautiful build quality, optics/coating, virtually internal zooming- barely extends, all at low price. Panny 12-32 also looks great but it is much more expensive. As for telephoto, I love my Panny PZ 45-175 with its internal zoom. The only telephotos with internal zooming in the entire m43 lineup??? Why are all zooms like that in 2014?
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    The 14-42 R has the same build as the 40-150, but it doesn't feel quite as "bad" -- possibly because of the smaller size. The Panasonic 45-150 definitely feels better. I haven't tried the new Panasonic 14-42, but I do have the 12-32 and it feels nicer than than Olympus 14-42R.
  5. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Just want to add that I owned the Olympus 75-300mm Mk II and it had pretty much the same build quality as the lower priced 40-150mm. The exception being the higher quality glass and metal bayonet, but the barrel and knurled grip are the same. That put me off seeming it's a $550 lens, however it performed well regardless. I mainly got rid of it because it didn't balance well on my Pen and it didn't track focus as reliably as my D7000 with 70-300mm lens. I have the 40-150mm on order and for just over $100 I'm not going to worry about the build.

I also owned the Panasonic 45-150mm and I loved the build quality, feel, and size. But what I didn't like was the vignetting at the short and long end with my Pen. I ended up sending it back cause for me it just didn't give the results I wanted with the Olympus body.
  6. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    So just how well does your un-stabilized 120-450mm track on your D7000? Before you say anything about this silly question think about how silly your comparison realllllly sounds :biggrin:

7. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I don't remember there being any other Oly lenses with the 'R' suffix other than the 14-42 and 40-150. They are entry-level lenses so the build quality improves as you go up the price range, starting with the plastic body/metal mount lenses (e.g. 9-18, 14-150, 25, 45, 60) and then the metal body lenses (e.g. 12, 17 1.8, 75, 12-40). Even though the materials in the 14-42 and 40-150 R feel cheap, I find the build quality to be satisfactory (no wobbing/lens creep and smooth zoom/focus rings). I can forgive the plastic-ness of the 40-150 as it's the first telephoto zoom I've owned that I didn't really notice its size/weight in the bag.
  8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't mind the quality of the 40-150. It was $100 and if it were metal I'm sure it would be four times the price. I don't care for the plastic bayonet flanges (the part that connects to the camera) because that plastic could easily be damaged (or replaced, for that matter). I've had a lens cap be damaged so I'm thinking the lens might have an issue. I have the tiny 12-32 and it seems no better except for the metal flanges.