1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus - Quite Amazing!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Mar 12, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100312_354286.html

I have never heard of another camera company in this day and age that formally endorses products, lenses no less, than Olympus. These are a few images from some exhibition in Japan and I could never envisage Nikon/Canon doing the same:

I think that this really shows that Olympus is thinking way outside the square and recognising that they can capitalise on a world full of 'other' lenses and still do very well.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 7
  2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks for the link Ray .. Indeed a nice gesture on the part of Olympus a small but prestigious company that build the OM1/OM2 a gem of an SLR. :smile:

The marketing of the new Pen was of course was quite clever and its ability to use so many old lenses with the added advantage of IBIS.

A very nice alternative to the GF1 are the Pen series.

Cheers

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I like that Olympus have embraced the photography enthusiast's desire to mount all manner of classic (and not so classic) legacy lenses to the m4/3rds camera - it's a very mature approach... rather than trying to force people down the native m4/3rds lens route - allow them to go there when they're ready.

Having IBIS and a high res EVF (in the E-P2 / E-PL1) makes the Olympus offerings perfect match for this work... a slightly better grip would be icing on the cake - I hope that the high spec m4/3rds camera due next from Olympus will be more inspired by the OM... and that the rumoured 0.5x teleconverter will work well.

Cheers

Brian

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I've got mixed feelings about this. Like everybody else, I'm very happy Olympus is promoting maximum compatibility with legacy glass.

On the other hand, I've got a nasty feeling this is a poor excuse for their latest very average optical performances. Their new lenses aren't awful, but they're clearly a notch below competition (especially below Panasonic). Who would have thought ? Oly used to be a leader in optics, since the begining. Zuiko-OM used to be a prestigious brand among connoisseurs, with an unequaled contrast and sharpness shoehorned into the smallest possible form factor, and an uncompromised mechanical accuracy. True 35mm gems.

In those days, it doesn't take a genious to smash a super computer into a fashionable and stylish camera body. And Olympus is doing that very well. But lenses used to be their true flagship and added value as a brand. If they lose the lead here, what's going to be left of them an OEM won't be able to do ? Not much I'm afraid.

Olympus really needs to get a grip again in the optical field. Their 2.8/17mm is a shadow of their former self. A prime 2.0/14mm, with controled CA, that's the least I'd like to see real soon now. I'd go wholeheartedly for a 2.8/12mm, too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Honestly I only own 1 native lens... I am very excited about the fact that you can mount pretty much anything on these things.... I think they should focus on the bodies....

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    mauve, you're right... there's no excuse for not taking m4/3rds lens IQ seriously - and I'll be happy to buy whichever brand of lens does the job!

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    TY, Brian. Just for the reference :
    "Because of its beginnings as a microscope manufacturer, Olympus had become specialized in the production of lenses and was looking for another lens-based product. What they chose was cameras. As with microscopes, they started to develop a camera by first designing the lens. I have the greatest admiration for these pioneers, for the lens is the soul of the camera."

This from Maitani San himself. Can't say it better. Olympus is forgetting its roots, and it's not a good move usually.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/history/lecture/part1.cfm

• Like Like x 1
  8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Maybe Olympus have bought shares, (stock), in EBay

9. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I agree with mauve. I hope Olympus will produce some nice lenses for MFT - a 14f2, 25f1.4 or 17f1.4 would be nice additions IMO. Another quote from Maitani - "Our efforts to emulate the photographic quality and lens performance of the Leica led to the creation of the D-Zuiko." http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/history/lecture/part5.cfm (thanks for the original link)

-Thomas

• Like Like x 1
  10. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

I agree with all of you about Olympus' lenses, and I think they'll certainly raise their game, especially as panasonics lenses in my opinion are much better, it will be interesting to see how the up coming olympus lenses compare with panasonics. especially the lower priced 9-18mm vs the excellent but pricey 7-14mm.

11. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    didnt see this display before ,

it shows a fundamental respect for wishes of their customer base and a company lacking the arrogance of say a sony or apple who despite excellent products lack a willingness to show any good will, flexibility ,or common sense where its customer base is concerned .

i knew olympus turned the corner when they made the pen without dual memory slots essentially
    abandoning the xd memory cards,a difficult but important move. they have a long way to go , but this display shows olypmpus knows a good thing when they have it and are mature enuf, and confidant enuf to show other makers products along side their own

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I firmly belive that Olympus will come out with more lenses and great ones at that; but I can sympathise with them at the moment, as most people in the class they are really targetting these cameras, are quite happy with what's available and likely won't need anything more.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  13. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Just a quick note to say thank you Ray for starting this thread. I've been reading it and appreciate everyone's input, as well.

• Like Like x 1