1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus projected roadmap hopes with a twist

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davidzvi, May 19, 2019.

1. M.Zuiko Pro telephoto zoom lens (50-220mm)

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. M.Zuiko Pro telephoto zoom lens (70-250mm)

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. M.Zuiko Pro wide zoom lens (9-30mm)

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. M.Zuiko Pro standard zoom lens (10-40mm)

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. M.Zuiko high-magnification zoom lens (12-200mm)

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. M.Zuiko super-telephoto zoom lens (100-400mm)

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  7. Bright Prime Lenses (ranges from 10mm to 60mm)

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    There have been more than a few posts about this lens or that on the roadmap. But my question is what are you waiting / hoping for AND how will it change / replace what you have now?

ROUGH estimate from a few sites on what the lenses could be:
    • M.Zuiko Pro telephoto zoom lens (50-220mm)
    • M.Zuiko Pro telephoto zoom lens (70-250mm)
    • M.Zuiko Pro wide zoom lens (9-30mm)
    • M.Zuiko Pro standard zoom lens (10-40mm)
    • M.Zuiko high-magnification zoom lens (12-200mm)
    • M.Zuiko super-telephoto zoom lens (100-400mm)
    • Bright Prime Lenses (ranges from 10mm to 60mm)
    I currently have a pretty small (for me) and tight m4/3 kit based around my E-M1 mkII.
    • Oly Pro 12-100mm
    • PanLeica 8-18mm
    • Pan 100-300mm
    • PanLeica 25mm f/1.4
    • Sigma 56mm f/1.4
    • Oly 9mm BCL
    First I would love the 70-250mm to replace my Pan 100-300mm. When I shot APS-C I almost always had a 70-300mm, so 450mm eq. It's a range I'm more comfortable with than 600mm EQ and I would like better optics as well.

Next I've been considering something smaller and lighter than my 12-100mm for general use, not to replace it. I do really like my PanLeica 8-18mm, but a 9-30mm or 10-40mm could solve my "something lighter" AND replace the 8-18mm. Might make me want to add the 7.5mm Laowa or 7.5mm fish even though I do have the 9mm BCL wider option.

And finally something in the 14mm - 17mm f/1.4 range that's NOT designed for APS-C, the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 is just too big to me.

So what / how will the roadmap change your current lineup?

Attached Files:

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I didn't vote. I'm pretty good as is.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    I'd be more interested in a Pen-F mk II or E-M5 mk III than more lenses. I'm good with what I have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    EM1-mk3 for me.
    That is unless I break down and get a mk2.

5. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I'd be very interested if the projected "standard zoom" turned out to be fast, reasonably sharp but more importantly smooth-rendering design with true manual focus override (as opposed to the current clutched focus-by-wire style). A 12-35/2 with beautiful, gentle focus transition zones would be a winner for me.

I'm a bit puzzled by the two similar-length telephoto PRO zooms on the road map. They don't seem to tie-in obviously with the specs of the existing PRO lenses. My guess is that if there is sufficient interest in the 150-400/4.5 (and similarly the PL 10-25/1.7), Olympus will take it as a sign that enough buyers are down with the idea of hefty µ43 lenses to risk releasing some more - say a 55-210/2.8 and a fast standard zoom. I suspect that the other PRO telezoom may be something like a 65-250/4, as a partner to the 12-100/4.

If any/all of them render beautiful images rather than just breaking resolution records, zoom internally and offer proper, tactile manual focus control, I think there will be demand for them, because currently there's a gap in the market.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    A part of me wonders if it's not one lens with a built in TC or if the focal length estimate is just showing the estimate with the standard 1.4 TC. Not sure why they would display it that way.

That's what I'm REALLY hoping for. I was originally thinking I'd get the PanLeica 50-200mm. But price (~$1500), questions about Panasonic service, and price/availability (I've only recently seen them showing up on eBay for ~$500) of the 1.4 TC I'd need to get for my 450-500mm desired length ruled that out.

An 80-240mm f/4 (3x), extending zoom would be find to to keep size, weight, and price down.

7. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I am hoping for an M.Zuiko super-telephoto zoom lens (100-400mm) of the same quality as the Panasonic stabilised and weather resistant. hope like most Oly zooms a nice close focus distance. I will probably be basing my next body on the brand of 100-400 I choose to get the dual IS.
    I have both brands but not fixed one way or another, both have + & - for some things.

I just wish they would give a little bit more info on that lens road map, just a little hint will do.

8. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Edit my reply ended up in the quote. hopefully fixed now

I agree a little clarification would be nice. My guess is that the 150-400 may cost too much for the average user so a cheaper 100-400 may fill a gap.

From what I have seen here there is a fair bit of interest in the Panasonic 100-400 for use on both Panasonic and Olympus bodies, so I am guessing there may be a spot for it at a reasonable price size etc. While I don't mind a slightly bigger lens for the better IQ, my wallet votes first unfortunately

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  9. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    Yes, a long companion to the 12-100 would be nice. Right now the 12-100 is more of a stand-alone lens. The closest companion lens is the 75-300, which is what I use as the long companion.
    Then they will have two pro series;
    - 12-40 + 40-150 + 150-400
    - 12-100 + ? 100-400 ?
    Although the 150-400 is really so close to a 100-400 that I can't see both happening. The 12-100 + 150-400 is a usable pair.
    Though given how little I used the LONG lens, the 75-300 is "good enough" for me.
    But that is a thought, a pro level 75-300. It would bridge the step between the 40-150 and 150-400.

What I would LIKE to see is an autofocus 500mm (or longer) mirror lens.
    Small, light, and a long reach. But is there enough market for it?
    Minolta made an AF mirror lens. So it can be done.

10. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    Something between 6-8 mm rectilinear F2.8 or faster with filter threads

• Like Like x 1
  11. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    I was puzzled about same, since seeing the roadmap.
    With a nicely fleshed out lens landscape, Olympus is in a position to make bridge lenses (which bridge the step between existing lenses), and to make other "interesting" zoom ranges, and to go after the niche markets.

A FAST 12-35/2 would be a page out of Sigma's book. But that lens would be big and heavy. A niche lens.

12. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    I've wondered where that alleged 12mm f/1.2 Pro prime went that should be good for the astro-photographers?

Olympus might think about producing a Cine-type of zoom lens too, or maybe prime sizes like the Veydras, if they want to play more with video. Maybe come up with a nice feel for the focus puller's wheels and/or programmable automation for the focus, zoom, and aperture too than relying on third-party setups.

13. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    Put a 17...18-50...55mm f/2.8 on a focal reducer. You'll have a 12-35...39mm f/2 and it will be very small (comparatively speaking to a 24-70 or such). It's when you want to go to f/1.2 it'll get as big as a 18-35mm f/1.8.

Pulled from another site (on a GH4):

Sigma-17-50mm-f28_Review_014_Lens-barrel-extends-below-GH4-base.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    hmmm cine lenses.
    One thing that bugged me about todays dSLR lenses, is that the zoom ring was TOO TIGHT for smooth zooming, as you are shooting.
    My father's Super-8 camera from the 1970s and all his Super-8 and video cameras since, had a zoom ring that was light and smooth that you could easily zoom while shooting. And indeed that was how one shot Super-8 and video.
    Today, with the tight zoom ring on today's cameras, you CANNOT zoom while shooting, except when on a firm tripod. Even so, the zoom will probably not be smooth, because the zoom ring is not smooth. The closest that I've handled is the Panasonic-Lumix 12-60. That lens has a nice light zoom ring.
    The EZ/Electronic Zooms are an electronic attempt to do that, but IMHO that has a ways to go. I find electronic zooms frustrating to use, as it is VERY easy to overshoot.

15. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    1 DX229YE-2drfuUMw6zEyFQ.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had luck with my Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 when I had to do a focus pull once and it does have a relatively tight ring. I find that any of the internally zooming lenses and slow aperture lenses are typically easier to zoom (exception: My Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8, that has some insanely heavy elements to move).

16. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    Agree, my Nikon 70-200/4 has a really nice smooth zoom. But as you said, it is an internal zoom mechanism.
    Unfortunately, probably for design/cost reasons, most zooms today are external/extending zooms. And you need effort to shove out that front group.

Geared leverage on a tripod works (that is a cool setup), but you are not mobile. This puts us back to the era of tripod mounted film cameras.
    We have not gotten back to the 1970s handheld zoom functionality.

In this sense, I do not see the handheld video cameras going away. And that is what I would get for family video. They can go hand portable (and zoom WHILE shooting), where the dSLR and mirrorless cameras can't or have difficulty.

A basic part of the problem, as I see it, is how we hold a camera (on the right side), vs. how a film/video camera is held (under the center of gravity). You have to put the left hand UNDER the camera, to support the camera in a stable manner with the right grip. Right hand only, and gravity is fighting you all the time.

17. SteveAdler

SteveAdler Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 12, 2019
    I'm looking forward to an Olympus 75mm f1.2 Pro lens.

18. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    This may sound funny, but I'd actually take a super-compact, optically strong 14-42mm f/4 (or thereabouts). It's the only thing I've been wishing for lately - the 12-40mm is a great lens, but it makes the GX9 so front heavy I have to use the grip for longer outings; the whole package becomes bigger than I'm comfortable with (it won't surprise anyone that :mu43: is my compact system). I do own the nice little Panasonic 12-32mm, but as much as I like that lens optically (to a point - it can't replace the PRO zoom, that's the trouble), its build quality is underwhelming. So, a *small* PRO zoom would hit the spot for me. Otherwise, no real wishes.

btw. the 12-200mm has already been released - so the roadmap should be updated; I'm curious as to what will be next ... but as indicated, I won't hold my breath because I think those who predict a bright standard zoom are most probably right (see the Panasonic 10-25mm f/1.7). However, I had the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 in the past - wonderful performer, but just too big for a small system IMO. That's not the direction I'll move in with :mu43:.

M.

19. macro

macro Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Zealand
    The 150 - 400 F/4.5 with built in 1.2x TC will do very nicely thanks. My first AF lens if it holds up to what it should be.

A 500 F/5.6 prime, take me there :) 

All the best.

Danny.

20. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It would be better with drop in filters - the edges of the image wouldn't be adversely darkened or vignetted and the filters would be a lot smaller and less expensive. A weatherproof twist lock system like used on the E-M1X for the SD card bays would be ideal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.