Olympus Pro Lens Function Button ?

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all

Probably a silly question but I have to ask

On the Olympus Pro range of lenses there is a function button that switches off Autofocus, why would you want this when you can turn AF off either using the lens focus switch or the bodies MF switch
What's the thinking behind the function switch.

Thanks

Rudy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The function button is programmable.
Most people from what I can tell set it to stop down the lens to the chosen aperture to see the effect on DOF.

MillsArt

Mu-43 Regular
You can reassign the switch to other features, and it also isn't so much an AF off, as it can serve as an AF hold.

Lets say your in AF-C mode, activated by half press of the shutter. Your shooting a bird flying around and tracking him. Then that bird lands on a tree branch, and because your in AF-C mode, the focus is trying to grab a foreground branch instead of the bird you want. By pressing the AF off button, you can effectively lock the focus at a given point, take your shot, and then if the bird flies off, your back to AF-C mode.

There are other ways to set up the camera such as AFL, or using a back button to focus etc, but this is just merely one other way to work. A number of long telephoto lenses from CaNikon have always had AF stop buttons on them as well. Just a tool some people find useful for certain types of photography

MillsArt

Mu-43 Regular
Do note, that if you have a Panasonic body the button will do nothing.

It only works (and is programmable) on Olympus bodies.

Guess a fair trade-off for that Panasonic aperture rings not working on Olympus bodies lol

Realistically though, you'd think if they can share a mount and AF etc, that they could find a way to implement a FW which allows for some of the unique lens features of each others lenses....

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
I am using it on Panasonic Bodies a G80 and it does work for turning off Focus but obviously it does not show up as a function button in their menu option list.

Latest threads

Top Bottom