1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Pro 12-42mm f2.8 or Olympus 12mm f2.0 or Pana Leica 15mm f1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Abula, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Abula

Abula Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Guatemala
    I been very happy with my current setup,
    Olympus E-PL5
    Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4
    Olympus M. Zuiko 45mm f1.8

Both lenses are great, and i used them indoor a lot, but now im looking for a lens to be used more outdoors and kinda all day lens to be shooting to scenery, landscapes, churches, parks, monuments, building, etc. I have $1000 to burn as my top, and wont be buying any lenses in the next 6 months, so i just need something to complement my primes, with either a prime or zoom. What im considering are,

Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 Lens for Micro Four Thirds Cameras (a very highly regarded by most on 4/3, probably will buy it sooner or later to complete my primes).
    Olympus M Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro Interchangeable Lens (unsure if its big size will play well with my EPL5, but seems like a nice lens specially for moving into M1 later on).
    Panasonic Leica DG SUMMILUX 15mm / F1.7 ASPH (no release yet.... probably sometime in 2014)

Thanks for your opinion,

2. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    If you do not mind changing lens, I would go with 12mm. That is what I have done(12mm, 25mm, 45mm). I am considering getting a 12-40mm just in case where I need a zoom.

BTW, if you want to get 12mm, try to find the version made in Japan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I used to have a 12mm f/2.0 lens, and generally found it to be very good: it has a useful angle of view (perhaps a little wide in some cases - not so good, for example, for groups of people, but very good for interiors), a helpfully fast maximum aperture, splendid out of focus rendition, and was a joy to use. It was a tad soft on the edges, however - the 12-40 f/2.8 is actually sharper according to test results. (I should add that, for your budget, you could get the 12mm f/2.0 and the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, which is a useful complement for when the 12mm is too wide). As to the 15mm, nobody has used it yet, so it is hard to comment. The difference between f/1.7 and f/2.0 is unlikely to make much of a difference, and 15mm is a somewhat odd focal length - if that was your widest lens, you would probably want something wider (and, as noted, your budget can get you the 12mm and 14mm). The 15mm f/1.7 would probably excel at group portraits, however.

Ultimately, only you will know what you will use the most. Getting a zoom would substantially duplicate much of what you already have, but zooms allow for much more flexibility and less changing of lenses. Would you actually walk around carrying the zoom and two fixed lenses, one of which was covered by the zoom's range, the other barely outside it? If you did, when would you use the zoom rather than the fixed lenses? If not, which would you leave at home? Would you only use the zoom at the 12mm end, or would you also use the whole range?

• Like Like x 1
  4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    The lens you need is the UWA zoom 7-14mm with rear filter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. supmua

supmua Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2013
    CT
    You already have 2 fast primes, might as well get the zoom next if you do not mind the weight--it is on the heavy side. I personally find the new 12-40mm to be an excellent all purpose lens. My very first impression is that it is very sharp at all focal lengths, even in the corners. I was also thinking about the 12mm f/2.0, but after getting my hand on the 12-40 I don't think I need anything else (except may be the upcoming 40-150).

• Like Like x 1