Olympus Pricing Observations

Real Name
Walter
In my experience, the reconditioned gear from Olympus has been in like-new mint condition. I even got some lenses with the blue plastic film still on them. I have had no problems with their reconditioned gear except for a 25 f1.8 lens that was DOA. I sent it back for warranty repair and got it back in a week, working fine and looking good. That puts their reconditioned stuff in a class above even near mint used. So, I don't equate Olympus reconditioned with used, by any means. This was before OMDS, and I dunno if there's been any change with that. The only quibble I have now is the way that they priced their reconditioned gear.

Update: I bought an EM1X on the recent outlet sale. Yeah, I know the reconditioned price was kinda inflated, but the 20% discount brought it back into attractive territory. I didn't know they were going to drop the new price $200 a few days later. At any rate, the reconditioned EM1X came in and I took it to shoot some birds in flight, because that's kinda why I bought it. For the Bird AF. During a photo shoot at Kahuku Pt. to shoot albatrosses, it acted up by shooting off bursts on its own and the AF tracking cursor started wandering off into the corners on its own. I sent it in for OMDS service. They sent me back a replacement body. It's got a much lower serial number, so I figure it's earlier production, but I tested it this past weekend and it seems to be working OK. OMDS paid the shipping both ways and no charge for the warranty repair. So, the story ends on a happy note, I think. :)

Real Name
Walter
Just for the heck of it, I checked the outlet (reconditioned) page on getolympus. The reconditioned prices are still ridiculously high. They didn't have any EM1X's on the outlet page, which were priced higher than a new one on sale, but they did have a reconditioned EM1 II for $1,360 while a new EM1 II sells for $1,000! Why do they still persist with these ludicrous reconditioned prices? Are they deliberately trying to drive customers to buy new ones? Sure seems so.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom