Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, May 30, 2014.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Bloomberg and Toyo Keizai interviewed Olympus Ceo Hiroyuki Sasa.

- Mirrorless market will growth particularly in the premium segment.
    - Also Europe and North America mirrorless market is expected to grow. And OMD models did well.
    - Olympus was mainly a compact camera producer and Olympus is now shifting to mirrorless system cameras. Low price models have been reduced
    - Olympus expected a break-even last year but PEN sales were lower than expected. And Olympus also had delay in shipments (example for the E-M10).
    - The camera unit will probably have operating profit of 5 billion yen in the 12 months starting April 2015, after a loss of 3.5 billion yen expected in the current fiscal year.
    - Olympus targets to sell 630,000 units of mirrorless cameras this year, 24 percent higher than the previous 12-month period. Sales of compact cameras are expected to plunge to 1 million units this year from 2.71 million units a year earlier
    - Olympus plans to focus their camera business also on new markets like vehicle cameras and of course medical business
    - Olympus will never stop the digital camera business because it also influences technology development in other business (like the medical).

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The latest in a string of forecasts. Let's really hope this time they're right!
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Still not sure how they will come up with an extra 8.5 billion yen (-3.5 to +5). Sounds like the same story that keeps getting re-iterated. "We lost this year, but next year...We will make it all back...".
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I know that compacts were generally not very profitable, but it's hard to see how a 60% drop in unit sales is anything other than a collapse.

Their mirrorless forecasts are oddly the same as last years (which they obviously failed to meet). Well, here's hoping they get it right this time!
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Said by the Detroit Lions every year since 1957 :biggrin:.

I don't have any financial interest in Olympus (except for the bit of gear I have) but I wish them well; it would be nice not to have an "orphaned" system. I don't foresee me purchasing a new Olympus camera or lens in the next 18 months (unless they field a 200mm f/4 or some such prime at a non-premium price) but I'll be cheering everyone on from the sidelines.

The forecast (from a minus 3.5 billion to a plus 5 billion) seems...optimistic to me, but what do I know?

6. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    With DSLRs still profitable, it seems the mirrorless manufacturers need to organize a marketing blitz to inform the public. I'd wager most people looking to buy a "good" camera think it's a choice between their phone and a DSLR -- they don't even know about mirrorless, let alone how well it compares to DSLRs. And I think more people would buy a nice camera if they knew they were so small and if they were available in general electronics stores.