1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus PM1 +adapter???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PM1, Jan 16, 2014.

1. PM1

PM1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    Hello everybody
    How are you
    Hope all of you fine

I am new member here and I am lucky to find this fantastic forum !!
    Anyway

Today I get my new olympus pm1 and I was reading before about legacy lenses so I bought canon fd 50mm 1.8
    And of course buy the adapter
    It's
    Fotga adapter fd to m4/3

But I am worry about 3 things
    1- if I use old lenses+adapter , dose this may harm or damage the sensor or the camera system in future ? Or didn't effect anything on the camera system? ?

2-if I put the old lens + adapter as you know it's manual, , so which dial should I use (P, A, S)

3-please could you tell more tips should I know it if I want using legacy lens

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Hello and welcome :)

1) As far as I'm aware, there is no harm at all in using adapters and legacy glass (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

2) When shooting with legacy glass I shoot in aperture priority (A). I'll set my ISO on the body and the aperture on the lens, and let the camera decide the shutter speed.

3) I have programmed one of the function buttons to zoom. This helps me manually focus. Remember that you have to double your focal length--that Canon 50mm is really 100mm on MFT. (Again, someone will correct me if I've misspoke here.)

Have fun with the lenses. There are quite a few of us here who love shooting with manual, legacy lenses. Be sure to share your images in the sample lens threads. :thumbup:

3. PM1

PM1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    Thank you so much my friend

So I don't have to worry for damage my camera system ?? (I will waiting for other ones to confirmation that)

About manual lens

I love old lens my father was owned old canon slr with few lenses but unfortunately it's stolen (5 years ago) !!!!!:mad:
    )

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Welcome to the adapted world, and to mu-43.com ofcause :biggrin:

Web-Betty is not wrong in #1. Just be careful with some old rangefinder lenses, they can be turned in too far and hit the sensor.

btw we have a whole subforum dedicated to adapted lenses - https://www.mu-43.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40 :thumbup:

5. PM1

PM1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    RnR thank for your help
    About te the legacy lenses so no effective to the camera system ??
    I just worried that may damage my sensor in future
    So did you mean I just have to worry about the lens not going deep and hit the sensors

OK I will ask about two lens that i have

1- canon fd 50mm f1.8 and canon fd 200mm F4
    The adapter is
    521443247_o.

Is't okay?

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Most people use A mode with or without auto ISO. You set the aperture and the camera calculates the exposure. You still have the choice of metering ,modes.

There are a lot of threads on how to focus with old lenses. Here is one on the EPM1.

I hope your EPM1 also came with the 14-42 kit lens. That's a good inexpensive lens to learn the camera. However, if you use old SLR lenses, none of them (or the adapters) can harm the camera unless they come apart and the pieces fall inside.

7. PM1

PM1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    Yes my pm1 came with 14-42mm

And yes about the manual lens this what I am afraid for it something fall inside :eek:

And also I read popular problem hear it's"loose" between the lens and adapter which also reason of damage sensor
    All of these problems
    How I can use my FD lenses and avoiding that without any problem

8. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Loose adapters are most likely of the cheaper option, I have a fotodiox adapter and it has play in it which can be an issue with a heavy lens making it more obvious but it doesn't damage the camera in any way, it is locked in place by the catch/release pin but it has a little bit of movement thats all. I don't know if the FOTGA version has play in it but I'd hope not, it costs about £20 more. An assumption of mines is that the best adapters out there are the Metabones versions. They are made to a higher tolerance and have a tripod adapter that comes with them which is great if you don't happen to have one.

9. PM1

PM1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2014

thank you so much for help

I was asked the seller who bought the Adapter from him
    and will wait his replay

also I will do some searching on google about Fotga adapter if it has play or loose (I hope it's stick and with no loose )
    thank you Again for help

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    There will be no effect on the sensor with the lenses that you are using. And the adapter that you have is fine.

11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have found Fotga adapters to work fine, but my FD adapters are a different make. FD adapters can be difficult to attach until you figure out how they go together. To make it easier, rotate the ring before you attach them like the first picture. Then you align the lens and adapter per the second picture.

I cannot do this in the field without a lot time wasted, so I just bought two adapters for my FD 85 and FD 135 so I don't have to change.

Attached Files:

12. PM1

PM1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    RNR

thank you so much you really help me of this worried

HarryS

thank you for your notice I really have no idea about this problem
    so thanks a lot for this information I'll keep it in mind
    but after all these difficult fit is it good ?? I mean no loose between the adapter & lens or play ?

BTW

my FD 50mm has little problem (it's have small dust inside
    [​IMG]

how to clean it ? if this dust may getting inside camer IN FUTRE which is not good

Did you please advice me which good 50mm manual lens should I choice ( clean used + no more than $30)??... sorry for small Budget

note / this FD 50mm that I have it was one of my father lenses ( he didn't used this lens much and it was kept in safe place ((dry- closed )