1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus PEN - why viewfinder aperture fixed to 2.8?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mvdb, Jan 9, 2013.

1. mvdb

mvdb New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2013
    I have a question about my Olympus PEN E-P2 (and VF-2).

Why is the aperture fixed to f/2.8 when using the viewfinder or the live view display, even when the lens goes down to f/1.7?

In low-light situations this result in a very noisy viewfinder image. This can be resolved by holding the depth-of-field preview button, which sets the aperture to f/1.7 until you let the button go. Is there a way to have the depth-of-field preview on permanently?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Do you have the live view boost setting set properly?

Gordon

3. mvdb

mvdb New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2013
    No, that's not it.

I want the camera to use a larger aperture for live view when in low light. Preferably, I'd have the depth-of-field preview turned on at all times...

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Oh ... I never noticed it did that, but with this mZuiko 45mm on it does stay at F2.8 until exposure.
    Well that's just wierd : the view with a fully open iris is definitely much better in low light.
    ...Maybe they found there was too much light in bright daylight? Doubtful, though.

I couldn't find any way to force it other than DOF-preview, which I have set to switch off the LCD instead.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I don't think there's a way around it, and it can cause trouble if you forget to check the DoF preview on a shot with shallow focus...as I've unfortunately done several times.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.