Olympus PEN - why viewfinder aperture fixed to 2.8?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mvdb, Jan 9, 2013.

1. mvdb

mvdb New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2013
    I have a question about my Olympus PEN E-P2 (and VF-2).

Why is the aperture fixed to f/2.8 when using the viewfinder or the live view display, even when the lens goes down to f/1.7?

In low-light situations this result in a very noisy viewfinder image. This can be resolved by holding the depth-of-field preview button, which sets the aperture to f/1.7 until you let the button go. Is there a way to have the depth-of-field preview on permanently?
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Do you have the live view boost setting set properly?

3. mvdb

mvdb New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2013
    No, that's not it.

I want the camera to use a larger aperture for live view when in low light. Preferably, I'd have the depth-of-field preview turned on at all times...
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Oh ... I never noticed it did that, but with this mZuiko 45mm on it does stay at F2.8 until exposure.
    Well that's just wierd : the view with a fully open iris is definitely much better in low light.
    ...Maybe they found there was too much light in bright daylight? Doubtful, though.

I couldn't find any way to force it other than DOF-preview, which I have set to switch off the LCD instead.
  5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I don't think there's a way around it, and it can cause trouble if you forget to check the DoF preview on a shot with shallow focus...as I've unfortunately done several times.