Olympus PEN Questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aukirk, Nov 16, 2013.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    As I am looking to upgrade to the OM-D EM-1, I am trying to decide whether to hang onto the EM-5 as a backup camera and for my wife to use, or whether to sell the EM-5 and pick up a smaller PEN series camera for her to use (and as my backup/second body when needed).

I have been pretty oblivious to the PEN line, since it has never interested me, and it is a bit confusing. If the camera was for mainly for me, I would definitely be drawn to the E-P5 with the 5-axis IS and manual controls. However, that is going to end up meaning out-of-pocket expense after selling the EM-5. Also, the smaller form and simpler controls of the E-PL5 or E-PM2 would probably be better for my wife (plus I should be able to cover the cost of it with the sale of the EM-5). This raises a whole other level of questions about what the difference is between these two, other than size.

The other BIG consideration is the lack of WIFI in the smaller cameras. I am sure after seeing me use the WIFI on the EM-1, my wife is going to want that. Is there any talk of updated versions of the E-PL5 or E-PM2 coming out with WIFI in the near future? Or is that part of the big cost difference?

Anyone have any insights or links to any prior articles/threads about this? Thanks
  2. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Hi, few opinions of mine for your questions:

- WiFi - I never really use this in PEN E-P5, I prefer original quality images from memory card to transfer those to computer. If your wife thinks she will use other WiFi features, another story (remember WiFi is connected only to Android or iOS devices)

- weight - PEN E-P5 is noticeable heavier and sturdier than E-PM2 for example. My wife prefers E-PM2 because of the weight, but again, question of taste

- IQ wise in my hands I haven't seen noticeable differences between 5-axis ISIS of E-P5 compared to E-PM2 with 2-axis

- how they look - PEN E-P5 is REALLY a lollipop, with a lens hood in black 17mm f/1.8 Oly lens and good looking wrist strap connected to E-P5 is one good looking photographic device, IMHO. E-PM2 with wrist strap is ok, but you can't really compare that to E-P5. If this makes a difference, I dunno, but for me it makes

Good luck trying to make your decision :)
  3. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    If your wife shoots in auto mode, get the EPM2. Same sensor as em5, has 2axis ibis and can easily fit in a purse etc. It doesn't have the tilt screen that the epl5. It doesn't have the 1/8000th shutter or flash that the ep5 has.

So if a fixed screen is ok, if 1/4000 shutter is ok, if no flash is ok then get the Mini. If your wife needs a tilt screen get the lite. If your wife needs flash or 1/8000 shutter get the ep5.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'd expect updates in 4-6 months. There's already an E-PL6 in Japan which basically just adds WiFi.

The size difference is in my view substantial.

One nice thing about the E-P5 vs. the other Pens is you can share batteries between it and your E-M1.
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If wifi is a must you are out of luck unless you shell out for the E-P5. Sell the E-M5; buy the E-P5 kit and part out the VF4 and 17/1.8 and you are out of pocket maybe $300 max.

Otherwise the E-PM2 and E-PL5 make a lot of sense. Just a matter of a couple of extras on the E-PL5 and what your wife would prefer.

I would think the updates of those cameras will be wifi enabled, so maybe you wait if you don't want to go the E-P5 route. But, when those new versions come out they will almost certainly be priced higher than your E-M5 can fetch used, so it may not matter all that much.

You can also consider a wifi enabled SD card with the E-PM2 or E-PL5. I've never used one so I have no idea how well they work, but others here can tell you how it would compare to the wifi on E-M1.
  6. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback...

The big issue may come down to wifi... I don't think I will use it a ton on the E-M1, other than to review photos or show them to people you are with before getting back and editing, etc. However, my wife is a big Instagram/Twitter user who wants to improve on the quality of the iPhone, so she would probably use it a lot.

I hadn't really thought about the fact that the used price of the E-M5 would probably drop even further if I want 4-6 months to see if they come out with the wifi enabled E-PL6 or E-PM3(?).
  7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Don't be so sure Olympus will carry on with 3 bodies of PEN in the future now that they have 2 OMD bodies. There was a lot of talk not long ago before the EP5 came out they would drop the Flagship PEN so... no one knows what's in store for PENS but based on the positive reaction to the GM1, I'd say they would drop the lite from the line up.

Even if they issue an update to the PEN lineup, where 6+ months out before it hits shelves. So you could always get a epm2 + wifi card and sell it later if the mini3 is significantly better which I doubt it will be. Probably a new kit lens that's smaller then the 17mm 2.8 if you ask me. Plus, they will probably try and shrink the mini more so they may need to drop things out to do so... granted wifi does seem to be a given they would especially since they did so for the epl6 (limited Asian and some euro distribution).

In my opinion, the em5 is the next inline for an update before the PENS. So I'd imagine Feb announcement of em5 refresh, then summer for PENS. That's a long way out.
  8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I suspect the Pen line will soldier on and new models will appear like clockwork. After all, the E-M1 and E-M5 mainly appeal to serious hobbyists and a few wayward pros. They ain't gear for the masses. The Pen line, especially the smaller and cheaper models have the most market potential since iPhone upgraders and casual hobbyists are abundant. The same market as the Kiss/Rebel DSLRs. I must say I see thousands of Japanese tourists every week in Honolulu and white Pen and Lumix are all the rage, especially with women. Not so much with Western tourists but that's why the E-PL6 is only sold in Asia.