Olympus Pen F owners - I developed a Fuji Velvia 50 profile

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I thought this would be an interesting exercise based on my previous posts on color.

How to develop the profile yourself?

I used DXO Film Pack 5 to develop a RAW file using this preset in Film Pack. Then saved a JPEG into the RAW folder the image came from. I therefore have the original RAW plus a Fuji Velvia 50 look in the same folder.

Now I can open the Fuji Velvia 50 look in WS plus the original RAW file. Now the process developing the profile starts. Prior to saving the JPG in Film Pact I scanned each color in Film Pact and wrote down if its a plus 1 or a minus 1 (2 or 3) compared to the original.

Back to WS I start adapting the colors as written down. Next its fine tuning based on the two images open in WS (the FP image and the RAW image)

Here are the setting for this profile:

WB = Auto
WB Comp: Blue -1
Green +1

Color Adjust in WS
Colors:-
- 0 = +1
- 1 = +2
- 2 = +2
- 3 = -1
- 4 = -3
- 5 = +2
- 6 = +3
- 7 = +1
- 8 = -1
- 9 = -1
- 10 = +1
- 11 = 0

The basic profile is now done and can be used in the Pen F as is. In WS one can refine it 100 fold more, but those setting cannot be uploaded to the Pen F today.

The following settings will add a little contrast crunch to the image....things like people's close will be more defined, cobblestone roads plus plus....

Curves function (this Pen F owners can also enter into the Pen F)

Highlights +2 (for a less drastic effect enter +1)
Midtones +2
Shadows -1

Contrast +1

These "contrast" settings might require you to use -1 Exp comp on your Pen F (experiment)

GarethB

Mu-43 Regular
Hi BushmanOrig,

My Kodachrome thread might be of interest to you if you want to experiment with the profile settings. There are some lovely photos from users in there who like the set-up, and Rob Trek has done a few videos based off this look also with some excellent photos examples in there.
Please check it out and let me know what you think!
My "kodachrome/classic chrome" Pen-F settings (update)

Thanks,
Gareth

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Hello Gareth
Thanks for the link. I read all with great interest. I noticed this started in 2013. Sad to think the Pen F color tech never took off. I often think Olympus threw out an idea to see how users will accept it. Sadly people complained about the placement of the creative dial and never looked a little deeper.
I will try your profile, several guys gave good feedback....
I looked, seem you have no blog or website, is that correct?
Have you continued developing profiles? What was the response like?
Siegfried

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I get that some people like to do their processing in camera (although personally I would't ever do anything but raw), and I can also see that the knob on the Pen-F is a useful tool in this regard. It's a pity that Olympus didn't properly follow through with an easily usable way of sharing profiles. The current way with having to upload JPEGs to the camera is painful, even if you can figure out how it's done. It's also very poorly publicised or explained on the offocial Olympus web resources, although the following page has some interesting profiles to play with:

Monotone Profile Control & Colour Profile Control | PEN | PEN-F | Olympus

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I get that some people like to do their processing in camera (although personally I would't ever do anything but raw), and I can also see that the knob on the Pen-F is a useful tool in this regard. It's a pity that Olympus didn't properly follow through with an easily usable way of sharing profiles. The current way with having to upload JPEGs to the camera is painful, even if you can figure out how it's done. It's also very poorly publicised or explained on the offocial Olympus web resources, although the following page has some interesting profiles to play with:

Monotone Profile Control & Colour Profile Control | PEN | PEN-F | Olympus

Absolutely!!! Like so many cases Olympus is responsible for their own pain....sad!! And do not take me wrong, I am a huuuuge Olympus fan. When I look at the Pen-F design concept and what they were able to pull off, that's huge!!! To move away from a very traditional exposure triangle type photography style to intro working really with color was a major step in the right direction.

Having been in large companies myself I can so clearly imagine what happened. A small group pushed and the Rino's fought back, result the Pen F not fully developed or enjoying upgrades. I believe there are no better way than to involve users. Have a market place / sharing platform, promote the idea of working with color, training modules, competitions and the correct platform and the Pen F would have 10x their sales......

That said I am working on a short article on my blog to intro, give ideas, tips and helpful links when working with color on Olympus cameras..... The upload/download and sharing has been improved with WS

Final comment - doing changes in the field:

1. With a bit of practice it's fast to add a new effect with the color creator /monochrome profile plus curves functions
2. Color profiler (Pen F) needs a bit more experience but does become a quick process in time (Here I prefer to set profiles before I go out)
3. Its great fun to be able to upload great looking files on the go, especially when with the children or grand children.....

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I am working on a pocket check card for the Pen F..... I did this color wheel as part of that. Spend a few minutes on it please and let me know if it makes sense to you?

The only thing that is not market on the color wheel is the standard WB settings or the Calvin scale... WB comp is on there.....

I have difficulty to place pictures on this forum. Go see the info on DPR forum, the link. Sorry about this, this is by far the best forum, I hate to take someone away here......

barry

Super Moderator
21a974b5c2294022bbe930d8d3a4c934.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Any Pen-F user feel like taking up a challenge?

I guess you already noticed that the Pen F is the only Olympus camera that can adjust ART filters? I am not talking about adding an effect onto the ART filter like a frame and like all the Olympus cameras can do......I am talking about changing the ART filter colors or color profiles.....

So my riddle or challenge:- Select the Vintage I ART filter on your Pen F. You will see it has a type of sepia look. How would you change that sepia look so the whites are whites again?

Those that are ready for a second challenge here goes: Set your Pen-F white balance to the Kelvin setting and dial in 5300 (sunlight).

Question 1: Where on the color wheel is the Kelvin value 5300?

Question 2: If you now go into sunlight or artificial light or in the shade, how would you adapt the camera color response to always have true whites. (like if the camera was in Auto WB)?

Happy hunting....

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
So without googling, here are my thoughts.

I think for the Vintage, I would adjust the Amber & Green White Balance settings to -7. I don't see any other way to adjust the color of an art filter. But this is not unique to the penf, so I'm curious!

As for Kelvin on a color wheel, I don't think it works that way. Kelvin affects how a color looks with different light sources. Sunny (5300k) is considered neutral.

As for manually adjust wb, just dial in less amber/green in tungsten and dial them up in shade.

Great questions, really had me thinking. I could be totally wrong, so looking forward to more responses. In the meantime, gonna go read up on color.

Any Pen-F user feel like taking up a challenge?

I guess you already noticed that the Pen F is the only Olympus camera that can adjust ART filters? I am not talking about adding an effect onto the ART filter like a frame and like all the Olympus cameras can do......I am talking about changing the ART filter colors or color profiles.....

So my riddle or challenge:- Select the Vintage I ART filter on your Pen F. You will see it has a type of sepia look. How would you change that sepia look so the whites are whites again?

Those that are ready for a second challenge here goes: Set your Pen-F white balance to the Kelvin setting and dial in 5300 (sunlight).

Question 1: Where on the color wheel is the Kelvin value 5300?

Question 2: If you now go into sunlight or artificial light or in the shade, how would you adapt the camera color response to always have true whites. (like if the camera was in Auto WB)?

Happy hunting....

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Here an updated version of the color wheel I originally posted.

Color Wheel V6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom