Olympus pen f monochrome mode

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
Now that's black and white at its best. Great images
I'm still getting to grips with the Pen-F's mono settings; currently I use mono profile 2 default -6/+6 shadows/highlights settings however, if you change these, does that not move away from mono profile 2 or does its 'look' go further than just changing the shadow/highlights/midtones curve? Hope that makes sense :D

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Taken with my tweaked version of the Monochrome Profile #2 - on a cloudy day at the end of March outside of the small Oregon town where I live.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

aKilter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
David
Taken with my tweaked version of the Monochrome Profile #2 - on a cloudy day at the end of March outside of the small Oregon town where I live.

View attachment 811262
I really like your “tweaked” result here, Miguel! It seems you’re enjoying experimenting, with the front dial on the Pen-f.

My Pen-f has been neglected lately and I must admit to not really playing with the front dial. However, your results are inspiring me to pick it up again and “give it a go”.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I'm still getting to grips with the Pen-F's mono settings; currently I use mono profile 2 default -6/+6 shadows/highlights settings however, if you change these, does that not move away from mono profile 2 or does its 'look' go further than just changing the shadow/highlights/midtones curve? Hope that makes sense :D
As best as I can tell with my own experiments, Mono 1, 2 and 3 all have the ability to have the same settings and look. Mono 1 comes from factory with the flattest look and no application of highlights, shadows, mid tone, color filter, grain or vignette. Mono 2 has the +6/-6 on the shadows (grain too?) while Mono 3 has the Red filter on it to mimic IR look.

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
At the nearby organic foods supermarket, in the previous 'normal' (pre-corona-virus) conditions, shoppers were encouraged to bring their own bags, to conserve resources. But now the store has banned shoppers from bringing any personal (and thus, potentially infected) items inside with them. So, at the checkout counters - now protected by huge sheets of glass, similar to the bullet-proof ones bank tellers have used for decades - the checkers do double-duty, bagging and, in my case, 'boxing' one's purchases. And all the while, we all are doing our best to maintain a 6 foot (approx 2 meter) distance from one another which, in the closer quarters of a supermarket, is literally almost impossible.

But nonetheless we chatted amiably during the process; and she complimented my on the insect-patterned cloth of my facemask (note: 2 weeks ago I would have laughed at those shopping with face-masks but now, more than 90 per cent of those shopping were wearing them).

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
This wooden sculpture - of a lizard - was sitting on an old wooden table outside my house this morning: a cold and bright Spring day when the harshness of the sunlight makes everything seem high contrast. Taken with one of my Pen F's Monochrome 'Profiles'.

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A few more monochrome Pen F images, all taken on a cold, windy and rainy day in southern Oregon - first, this power meter, on a local electric company pole, with an interesting message--

Then, the taillights of a truck, in the parking lot of an adjacent factory (which was closed today, it being Sunday)--

And finally this message - Dri(ve) Saf(ely) - on the rear of another adjacent parked truck--

All taken with a slightly modified version of the Monochrome II profile - which supposedly corresponds more or less to a digital version of Tri-X film - and then lightly tweaked in Silver Efex.

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
A few lockdown images from the house. Mono mode 2 low grain.

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
My cat taking his Easter dirt bath in the garden, a feline tradition.

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
The local irrigation ditch, on a hot April morning. Running very low on water because of the ongoing drought in southern Oregon (and neighboring northern California).

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A few more Monochrome shots from my relatively recently-acquired Pen F.
Starting with this 'burn pile' in the extended garden area outside the old Oregon farmhouse where I live---

Then an old abandoned truck, in a nearby cow pasture--

To continue the theme of old vehicles, another old non-operational truck, this one being used to advertise a local farm. This was taken with the 'Mono 3' setting which as far as I can tell, is basically a heavy Red filter--

Then shadows, on our local (southern Oregon) bike path--

And finally, a late-night shot of the old dictionary, sitting on it book stand, open to what could only be described as a photographically appropriate page--

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
A few more Monochrome shots from my relatively recently-acquired Pen F.
Starting with this 'burn pile' in the extended garden area outside the old Oregon farmhouse where I live---

View attachment 816565

Then an old abandoned truck, in a nearby cow pasture--

View attachment 816567

To continue the theme of old vehicles, another old non-operational truck, this one being used to advertise a local farm. This was taken with the 'Mono 3' setting which as far as I can tell, is basically a heavy Red filter--

View attachment 816571

Then shadows, on our local (southern Oregon) bike path--

View attachment 816572

And finally, a late-night shot of the old dictionary, sitting on it book stand, open to what could only be described as a photographically appropriate page--

View attachment 816573
Nice selection Miguel. :thumbup:

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Who can explain why using the red color filter (standard Mono 3, can be used in 1 or 2) seems to have heavy grain in the sky but not the rest of the picture? Even with Grain turned off it appears in the darkened skies.

fotoppi

Mu-43 Regular
Who can explain why using the red color filter (standard Mono 3, can be used in 1 or 2) seems to have heavy grain in the sky but not the rest of the picture? Even with Grain turned off it appears in the darkened skies.
I can't explain, but experienced the same issues.
Red filter seems to make a photo blurry/big spots (can't describe), yellow or orange don't show that behavior.

I think that the filter might be too heavy and produces "stairs" in the color values.

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
A few from today's walk at my local reservoir. Mono mode 2 with low grain. Cropped and slight vignette added only.

P6010195_DxO.jpg
P6010207_DxO.jpg
P6010208_DxO.jpg
P6010229_DxO.jpg

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Valley Creek, Idaho and those pesky mountains that are always gettin in my images. mono mode 2, -2 showdowns, -1 highlight -2 midtone, red filter 0 grain. Cropped to 16x9.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom