Olympus pen-f and those $&@( mysets

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AllanG, Apr 18, 2016.

1. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    i finally got used to the mysets in EM5 and EP5 only to be stymied by setting "mysets" to the dial with the pen-f.
    Previously you could set a myset on the camera and re-call those settings again to get you back to a base position.
    But with the Pen-f all you can do is the set current setting to C1-C4 on the dial and only recall those settings by moving the PASM dial to C1 etc. You cannot go to the C4 settings and re-instate those settings over the current settings on the camera using the menu.
    Or am I completely silly? Any assistance would be appreciated.
  2. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Maybe I'm not understanding, but why would you want to 're-instate those settings over the current settings on the camera using the menu' when you can just go over to C4?
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My MySet 1 is a default starting point - I use it as default for every mode, whether it be P, A, S or M. Selecting it via the menu resets focus, release, metering, IBIS modes as well as aperture, shutter, ISO, and other settings to nominal defaults, but the camera stays in the right PASM mode according to the mode dial. It would be pointless assigning it a dial because then I would be stuck in a fixed PASM assignment without being able to change it using the mode dial.

On the other hand, my MySets 2-4 are dedicated modes assigned to other positions on the mode dial, and do force a dedicated mode (S for the action one, S for the video one, and M for the flash/long exposure one).
  4. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Got it. Thanks. So I assume that means that PASM are not assignable through the menu - otherwise you could just set it to, say, C2 then select the PASM mode that you want to use with those settings. It is not how I use the MySets, but I can see how it would be useful.