Olympus PEN Exposure Metering Poll?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Richella, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    What is the most common metering that you use with your Olympus PEN?

• Like Like x 1
  2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I've found the DSP on the E-PL1 to be pretty good. I'll usually compensate the DSP before I'll use spot.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Center weighted for sure. ESP meters off the entire scene rather than exposing for my subject matter. I don't do much (virtually none) landscape photography or other photography where my subject matter fills the entire frame. I need control of what the camera exposes right. If I'm taking a picture "of something", then I don't want everything around that something to affect my metering.

As for spot metering, there are times for that but for general purpose use it can wildly throw your metering off if it hits a rogue shadow or highlight. Center weighted gives a more consistent reading, so it's what I use most.

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    What if the subject is off center?

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Like Ned. I found ESP does a nice job of balancing everything, but then it just pushes the whole scene to middle grey. Spot is great for subject isolation, but I use center weighted and AEL. If I need to specifically address the subject for a special case (like backlighting), then I use compensation, but I rarely change metering type.

6. Centre-weighted for me, and use exposure compensation for the rare times when I can see that it isn't giving me what I want. That's the cool thing about full-time live-view, right?

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for starting the poll - interesting results!

With my E-P3, I am using Digital ESP and then have the AEL button setup for spot metering, thinking this would work in tricky situations. Does this setup make sense?

8. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Point at the subject, Auto Exposure Lock (AEL), then recompose.

--

I use ESP (even use AEL with ESP sometimes), but this thread is making me want to try center weighted.

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    With my E-PL1, I used center metering when I was using the focus and recompose method.

With the E-P3, I have been using the touchscreen to set focus - this unfortunately does not work with center metering (still meters the center, NOT the focus point). So I'm using matrix metering currently. But really I prefer center metering.