1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus PEN-EP3 Images Leaked

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    June 27 update: Mirrorless Rumors just leaked a higher quality (press kit) photo of the E-P3 and Oly 12/2:

5876226407_a17b4b9cb1_o.
    -----------

June 26: Photo Rumors today published what are almost certainly images of the upcoming Olympus E-P3 (Grade A).

We used Photoshop to get rid of some of the motion blur in the images, and you can clearly see "12mm" on the barrel of the lens close to the camera, indicating that this is the new high grade Olympus 12mm f/2 lens (Grade A):

5873583147_728c7aa9c6_o.

The new lens has a distance scale, so it seems likely that it will have mechanically-linked focus rather than focus-by-wire. It bears a close resemblance to the prototype lens previously shown at CP+. Here's a top view to give a better sense of the lens size:

5874141838_5218882362_o.

Rear view of the camera:

5873583167_a98ecc7a20_o.

These images are consistent with prior reports by several sites, notably 43 Rumors, that the E-P3 would have a flash but no articulated LCD. Meanwhile, it is widely rumored that the E-PL3 will have a flip LCD but no integrated flash. If you're as excited as I am about the upcoming Olympus announcements, keep an eye on the "Olympus Countdown" on our front page!

Go to Photo Rumors for the full (rumored) E-P3 specs.

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

• Like Like x 6
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Looking at the new Olympus lens, I'm reminded of comments from Mike Johnston of TOP in reference to his Lumix 20/1.7 as compared to the newly announced 25/1.4 DG Summilux:

I feel exactly the same way about my 20/1.7 compared to the Summilux and also about my 14/2.5 compared to the new Oly 12/2. I don't need or want the special capabilities of these new lenses, but I sure am glad that they are available for our system!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Have to say, I agree. Re the EP3, on the other thread I posted:

The lens is interesting. The camera less so for me. There is no EVF. The sensor will likely be an improvement, perhaps even a major one, but is unlikely to seriously outperform that in the G3.

It will have IBIS, but that is of minor use in my shooting.

Clearly we have to await testing etc, but after 18 months of GF1 and 6 months of EP2, I know that for my shooting a built-in EVF is an essential.

In the G3 I am offered an excellent sensor, the EVF, an articulating screen and a size the same or even smaller (in some dimensions ) than the GF1 / EP2 generation with their external EVFs.

The much touted faster focusing is nice, but I have never missed a shot because of slow focusing on my GF1 and found the EP2 adequate. The G3 is already faster than either. My feeling is that Olympus were hammered (somewhat unfairly I think) for the EP1 / 2 focus and will make a big deal of this. Good for them on the improvement, but I suspect that if the G3 is matching most DSLRs and this new camera is faster, the issue has gone away.

I am sure it will be a nice camera, but I feel they really lost an opportunity in not using the flash space for an EVF.

So we will get a built-in flash, faster focus (probably at the level it should have been in the EP2) and a better sensor (the earlier one was very far from being a disaster). I expected something with more strength and depth, and hoped for something that would leap ahead just a bit and at least cast a minor shadow over the competition. I don't see that here.

A reasonable evolution of a very good camera. Nothing wrong with that, but I had expected more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Like you, I use an eye level viewfinder. It is my primary way of viewing things, so nothing without an integrated VF will be my primary camera. However, I think we're squarely in the middle of a very vocal minority of people who feel that way and that the absence of an integrated viewfinder won't hurt Olympus very much here.

On the other hand, I think they need to be able to say that the sensor has improved, and I'm keeping my expectations low about this. I keep seeing that word "tweaked", and that's not a good word when it comes to sensors. I'm very much hoping to be surprised, and regardless plan to buy an E-PL3 to complement my GH2, so long as the former has the rumored flip style LCD.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This camera looks like a blend of the best things in the E-2 and E-PL2. Nothing spectacularly new, but it would be the camera I was looking for when I bought the E-PL2. ;) I'm not ready to give up my E-PL2 yet though, lol.

Oh, except I like my E-PL2 grip better than the E-P1/2 grip which it looks like this one has... however, the 43rumors specs says it should have an interchangeable grip, so I suppose the second grip is probably more like the E-PL2... unless it comes with a battery grip... :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree. I don't think I need a 12mm prime, but I want to see more of that build quality inherited in other lenses. I hope the 12mm is a success!

I will be getting another Oly body, though. Maybe even more than one.

Can't wait till the 30th!

PL 25/1.4
    Oly 45/1.8
    EP3
    and maybe EPM1

Cha-ching!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'll be surprised to see a 45/1.8 on June 30 or the following day. I'd love to see it more than just about anything, but I don't expect to see it just yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Is the presence of a distance scale a "special capabiliy"? I'd think of it as a prerequisite oddly stripped from former m43 lenses. Its come-back, together with what appears as a DOF scale seems only normal for high-end wide-angle, where many will use zone focusing. I just hope that the time-lag induced by the iris mechanism has been eliminated too.

Otherwise--yes, this looks like an E-P1.3 i.e. another yet minor revision. At least it seems to keep consistent UI and the dedicated "magnifier" button many called for. Seems also it keeps the same EVF...

PS: when I was staff in a motorbike magazine, way back before Photoshop, we also used to heavily blur, convert to B&W and add heavy grain to the leaked prototypes shots to : 1) protect our source 2) make it more spy-like and more attractive as a cover story :rolleyes:
    Here, I'm surprised that "our man in Tokyo" used a Bic-pen cap pinhole camera, complete with East-German outdated (per force...) B&W negative. Man of taste, old-school but Maitani is gone, so is Sorge... I'll stop: given enough clues to Oly's security as is ;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Right, it may not hurt them, but imagine if you will the EP3 without the flash, but an integrated EVF. I think that would boost them considerably.

I am hanging on the my GF1 until all these launches pan out, probably to the end of the year. If I were buying now, it would be a G3 hands down. I think it's going to be very successful.

But by the end of the year, the Olys will have panned out, maybe an enthusiast GF, maybe a mirror less Fuji with interchangeable lenses, and probably a Nex 7 with integrated EVF, and maybe even a GH3.

The big thing likely to keep me with M4/3 is the lens collection - small, with excellent quality, allied with ever-improving image quality.

In the meantime, I will have fun with my GF1 - as always, the changes don't make the current camera a bad one. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Maybe "special capability" was the wrong term, but I was mainly referring to the larger aperture, faster focusing, and presumably higher build quality of these lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I actually like the accessory EVF. It's removable and easy to pack, plus it works at variable angles. The only real drawback to the accessory EVF system is that it uses the hotshoe. If it was designed to fit elsewhere (like say, in a slot beside the hotshoe) or if a seperate PC Sync jack was added, that would make the EVF use much more viable. Ideally, having it beside the hotshoe would have been best as that would free the hotshoe and pop-up remote commander for 1) radio triggers, 2) PC Sync adapters, and 3) optical wireless. However, I think it's kind of late to redesign the accessories to work like that (it would be stupid to make the existing $250 VF-2 obsolete), so adding a PC Sync socket would be the next best thing I could think of. That would allow both PC Sync connection as well as optical wireless, but would forgo radio triggering unless you take off the VF-2.

12. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I get what you mean regarding the variable angles, and like that about the Panasonic GF1 too.

But the G3 shows what can be done - incorporate a first-class EVF in a GF1 / EP2 size body and add the EVF and make it all smaller than the other two with their RVFs attached: and then add an articulating screen that is way more flexible than the external EVFs.

I feel Olympus missed a real opportunity to claim the 'retro - interchangeable lens - rangefinder style with an EVF' crown.

I think the G3 is a much more versatile camera, and pretty much the same size.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I have to say I disagree here.. the 12/2 has a unique feature I want... it goes to 12 =)

• Like Like x 2
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have a VF-2 so I'm good with all of this. The VF2 is always on for legacy lenses. My only problem with using just the LCD screen is that I need my reading glasses to do see details. If the AF is fast and accurate, and it's not bad now, I can overcome this. Increasingly find myself trying to "screen-view" with the K7 and not bring the E-P2 to my eye. I'm surprised my habits of 40 years changed so quickly.

15. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    I agree, based on the current leaks I will wait for possible m4/3 offer from Fuji or wait for prices of Fujifilm 100X to settle. George.

16. niva_explorer_photo

niva_explorer_photo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2011
    England
    Today I was thinking the same... Maybe waiting for Fuji to see if they join m4/3 or is just all fake rumours... But at the same time if the IQ is really improved on the Ep3 and the new eve is good.... Ummm, difficult decisions ahead :) what I'm really hopping for is the 45mm lens, I rally need this one

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No disagreement here. 20 vs 25mm and 12 vs 14mm can of course be very significant. Just so happens that I personally prefer 20mm and 14mm.

So psyched for the 45/1.8 though. Hope it's small!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I hope Oly does announce a fast 45-50mm lens along with the new Pens and the 12. IMO, it will boost the sales of the new cameras as well. Even better if they give some combo discounts for buying both a new Pen plus a new lens.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    One of the rumors was that the Oly 45mm size is similar to new Pana/Leica 25mm m43 lens. If that is correct, 14, 20, and 45mm will be the smallest trio to match m43 concept.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    What might be nice with the 12mm is the distance scale. Does that means no focus with wire and we can zone focus. That would be a huge step forward with m4/3 lenses.