Olympus PEN-EP3 Announced

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've flipped the other way. Based on the latest rumors I was expecting no change to the sensor and was feeling disappointed. After further reflection, I've come to the conclusion that the current sensor image quality is good enough, and I'm ready to order my E-P3 as soon as soon as one of my preferred sellers opens up for pre-orders.

Amin, I have always found your buying decisions very thoughtful. Given the price / performance of the new camera (based on what we currently know) I am a bit surprised that you would go for an E-P3.

Would you mind sharing your reasoning - assuming there is reasoning and it's not just that it's a very cute camera...:smile:

MaxElmar

Mu-43 Regular
Well besides little nit-picky differences, what's really there to hold people back from downsizing a bulky pro DSLR system to Micro Four-Thirds now, besides personal inhibitions?

Weather sealing. Focus tracking. The ability to track movement. Especially in bad light, with fast, professional-grade lenses. Call me when it's gets up to speed. (Ha, see what I did there?)

The RAW data simply isn't as good. And that matters for those of us who rely on a RAW workflow. (That's about 1/2 my problem, NOT an m43 problem.) But you can't deny the RAW data isn't as good.

Loving my E-PL2, but those are massive issues that prevent me from using m43 on a professional basis.

Not saying it won't work for some. Just not for me.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Weather sealing. Focus tracking. The ability to track movement. Especially in bad light, with fast, professional-grade lenses. Call me when it's gets up to speed. (Ha, see what I did there?)

Track Focus and low-light focusing are included in the list of improvements with this camera. Track Focus has been improved already since the E-PL2, but should be better now... even if it isn't included in the claim of "World's Fastest AF" (which applies to S-AF). Low-light focusing was already better with CDAF than PDAF (more accurate and faster), but this camera is supposedly much faster and more accurate in low-light (I heard something about a back-lit AF system). I believe it also has an AF Assist lamp built in (from what I've heard). You should expect this camera to be the best, most accurate low-light focusing camera yet.

What's your number, so we can give you a call? ;)

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I expect there'll be boatloads of third party grips from China before long, and in every conceivable geometry.

Yeah, after doing some reading, I think there actually is another grip, but I haven't seen a picture yet.

I could only imagine a chinese made SLR style grip for it. Heck, someone could maybe even have a battery grip for it.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
If you read my post, you'll see how I feel about it. The E-P1 looks great, but isn't as functional as it looks, IMHO.

I agree. As much as I love my E-P1 I couldn't go back after using the E-PL2.

Mind you, I'm expecting a new (to me) Jupiter-3 lens in the mail soon. Maybe I'll get my E-P1 LCD fixed and mount the J-3 on that... I have the silver version E-P1, and I bet it would look just smashing with the silver Jupiter-3! :D Maybe looks might win out over function on that one...

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Just something I read, courtesy of dpreview.com, comparing E-PL3 and E-P3. Notice what I bolded
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl3

Faster continuous shooting: up to 5.5fps vs. 3fps
Tilt/flip LCD display vs. fixed OLED screen
Lower resolution, less useful format screen (460,000 dots, 16:9 vs. 614,000, 3:2)
Lower flash sync speed: 1/160th vs. 1/180th of a second
Four fewer Art Filters (Loses Pale Light & Color, Light Tone, Gentle Sepia and Cross-Process)
No built-in flash (slot-in unit included)
No level gauge

So why does the Pen lite get faster shooting? Intersting.

They also complain about the 16:9 format screen and loss of resolution due to black bars when shooting pics. Don't many companies do this?

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Lots shots, including alternative grips...

This link has a number of product shots for E-P3 and E-Pl3:

Review: Unveiling of Olympus E-PL3 and the E-P3

Here is one of the larger grip:

ep3_7.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

rcferraris

Mu-43 Regular
grip and auto focus speed

The screw-in handgrip bit is tremendously klutzy.
this review seems to think otherwise.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRHUsxmdfZI]YouTube - ‪Olympus E-P3 in detail‬‏[/ame]

Still waiting for a review of it's ergonomics. I notice there is no ISO button or WB... perhaps they placed it on the touchscreen OLED.

Pan Korop

Mu-43 Veteran
Sure, a built-in EVF, with no flash and a free hot-shoe wouldn't have hurt.

Still, I'm ready for one, and will certainly sell my G1 and GH1, keeping the E-P2. This seems like the E-Pen I would have liked from the first release which I skipped in favor of the Panasonic.
It's not a perfect camera for me, but none has been in 40 years of professional practice. Well, maybe the Graflex (or Toyo) Super-Speed Graphic, but I couldn't afford it since it was already a collector :wink:

The fixed screen? Oh well... if it doesn't turn both ways, it's half-useless to me when nearly half my shots are framed vertically. Way more when counting the panoramic stitches. At least it's an OLED. Let's hope it's significantly more readable outdoors, and let's appreciate that it's outsourced to Samsung, proving Oly does not rely solely on Panasonic components...

The built-in amateur flash? Oh well again... I guessed they did it to control remote bigger guns, considering most studio or advanced users will also use the EVF in these setups. With the other new toys, more consumer-oriented it's either the flash or the EVF...

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
A nice video on its focusing/touch shutter release:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do8azZq5kAo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪The Phoblographer Shows off the Olympus EP-3's focusing‬‏[/ame]

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Amin, I have always found your buying decisions very thoughtful. Given the price / performance of the new camera (based on what we currently know) I am a bit surprised that you would go for an E-P3.

Would you mind sharing your reasoning - assuming there is reasoning and it's not just that it's a very cute camera...:smile:

The GH2 is everything I need, and I don't expect the E-P3 to give me better results. Also, I prefer shooting with an eye level viewfinder, and the GH2 is more compact than the E-P3 and VF-2, so it makes more sense for me as a camera. On any rational basis, I should just stick with the GH2.

However, I've always had a thing for the way the E-P1 looks and feels, and after a couple years. Also, I do like the Olympus JPEG engine; although I shoot almost exclusively RAW, the Oly JPEG engine is like an old favorite film stock which I can't use with Panasonic cameras. It's a nice option to have. Mostly, though, it's about me giving in because of the looks of the camera :redface:.

I'll keep the GH2 after getting the E-P3 and see which one wants to come with me when I go out. Most likely I'll keep and use both, but if one of them isn't getting any use over a prolonged period of time, I'll sell it off.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The GH2 is everything I need, and I don't expect the E-P3 to give me better results. Also, I prefer shooting with an eye level viewfinder, and the GH2 is more compact than the E-P3 and VF-2, so it makes more sense for me as a camera. On any rational basis, I should just stick with the GH2.

However, I've always had a thing for the way the E-P1 looks and feels, and after a couple years. Also, I do like the Olympus JPEG engine; although I shoot almost exclusively RAW, the Oly JPEG engine is like an old favorite film stock which I can't use with Panasonic cameras. It's a nice option to have. Mostly, though, it's about me giving in because of the looks of the camera :redface:.

I'll keep the GH2 after getting the E-P3 and see which one wants to come with me when I go out. Most likely I'll keep and use both, but if one of them isn't getting any use over a prolonged period of time, I'll sell it off.

Well, as usual, makes perfect sense. I do like the look and feel of my GF1 - very much so in fact. But I really liked the E-P2.

starlabs

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The silver E-P3 is absolutely gorgeous. Just darn beautacious... (it's so good looking, I even made up a word!) The white's pretty neat looking too, although the tan grip is frankly, yuck.

I'm feeling a bit of sticker shock however, given the $900 tag on the halo E-P3...

It's unfortunate for me because the G3 has all the relevant bullet points for what I want in an upgrade to my E-PL1. But I cannot - cannot - stand the DSLR look. Perhaps my opinion might change when/if I get to hold a G3 in my hands, but for now I guess I need to start saving up. :tongue:

mach330

Mu-43 Veteran
The silver E-P3 is absolutely gorgeous. Just darn beautacious... (it's so good looking, I even made up a word!) The white's pretty neat looking too, although the tan grip is frankly, yuck.

I'm feeling a bit of sticker shock however, given the $900 tag on the halo E-P3...

It's unfortunate for me because the G3 has all the relevant bullet points for what I want in an upgrade to my E-PL1. But I cannot - cannot - stand the DSLR look. Perhaps my opinion might change when/if I get to hold a G3 in my hands, but for now I guess I need to start saving up. :tongue:

my g3 will be arriving on Tues. I feel the same with you. I like the retro look better of Olympus. But I figured I already have the E-PL2 so I wanted to see how Panasonics are (and it's cheaper especially with EPP). Now I'm still wanting the E-P3.

Anybody want a brand new G3? LOL

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom